Enchanted... no library

phonejock

Recently there was a thread about there just being a book cart, not a library, on the Sky Princess.

DH and I are booked on the Enchanted this summer.  I looked at the deck plans twice, and I do not see

a library. Looks like I will be buying a Kindle this spring 😁

• Like 1

You need to be writing a letter ( yes, a handwritten letter ) every week, and mail it ( yes, with a stamp ) to Princess headquarters requesting funding for the library to be continued and expanded 

I believe somewhere I read that Brooks Hatlen would be pushing the cart

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I bought a Kindle 3 years ago just to cut back on the books in my luggage. I read fast and I love to read. I am surprised that I really love my Kindle and it's so easy to load and books are much cheaper or free depending on how you get them. I have not seen a good library in the last 5 years on any Princess ship........they've all been mostly empty, even on Day 1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phonejock said:

Recently there was a thread about there just being a book cart, not a library, on the Sky Princess.

DH and I are booked on the Enchanted this summer.  I looked at the deck plans twice, and I do not see

a library.

They are history.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

No more library.  Replaced with space that makes money.

Sad, but true.  It is all about corporate greed.  We shall be on the Enchanted in November and this news saddens me.

When we did the 'Midnight Sun' on Ocean Princess [sadly, now Oceania Sirena] we were heartened by the most magnificent Library at sea, truly beautiful. I have not yet been on Ocean P's sister Pacific P. I hope it, too, has such a palace. 

Yes, most newer ship have less, and some virtually none, and sad indeed.

But I, as you say, have my Kindle, always loaded with a few hundred entries to keep me satisfied on even the most 'sea day' oriented cruises. Of course I also play all trivia, and hope to find chess or scrabble players aboard. No getting bored for me.

Sitting on some obscure deck reading in the sea breeze is my own idea of heaven. 

Doug

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c-boy said:

Kindles  are in. Find a nice cozy quite nook to relax in. 

There is no such place.  LOL  Unless you count your own cabin  LOL                                                                                                                                                                        

It’s not just about replacing the library with space to make money. Go anywhere on any ship and the vast majority of passengers are using a reader (Kindle, Nook, IPad, etc.) rather than a hard-covered book. Fewer and fewer people are reading paperback or hard cover books. It takes a lot of books to create a library as you have to offer a wide variety. 

I used to pack lots of books but now I just carry my Kindle around with me, whether at home or on a ship. It’s so easy (and free) to download e-books from the library. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

It’s so easy (and free) to download e-books from the library. 

My wife downloads free audio books to her iPhone from the library & listens to them on Bluetooth earbuds while doing other activities such as quilting or scrapbooking.

The library area on other Royal-class ships is now part of the Crown Grill Bar on the Sky with nightly musical entertainment & was crowded whenever we walked through the area.

Edited by Astro Flyer

35 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

It’s not just about replacing the library with space to make money. Go anywhere on any ship and the vast majority of passengers are using a reader (Kindle, Nook, IPad, etc.) rather than a hard-covered book. Fewer and fewer people are reading paperback or hard cover books. It takes a lot of books to create a library as you have to offer a wide variety. 

I used to pack lots of books but now I just carry my Kindle around with me, whether at home or on a ship. It’s so easy (and free) to download e-books from the library. 

Of course, there are still a few of us who prefer actual books.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I love books too, but let's face it the selection was always limited, and the best books were gone the first day of the cruise. I also talked to several crew members, and it appears that our fellow passengers were not great at returning the books at the end of the cruise. 

I now use a Kindle and to be honest it is much better than the ship's library.

In this case, I think Princess is just evolving. Unfortunately, technology has made the library obsolete. Try a Kindle. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tip said:

Sad, but true.  It is all about corporate greed.  We shall be on the Enchanted in November and this news saddens me.

Don't know about the greed thing.  I think It's more a sign of the times and moving on.  I read a lot and am over 65.  I replaced all my magazines with digital on my tablet and most, though not all, of my books come from Amazon or Google Play books now.  I just find it more convenient and definitely easier on my fading vision.

You know the old bad joke about tradition?  Dead people telling you what to do.

• Like 3