Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
beachbum53

Need help choosing Ft. Lauderdale hotel

Recommended Posts

We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale on Feb. 28 for one night. We are booked on a cruise leaving on Feb. 29. We're looking for a hotel that has shuttle service from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise port. We'd prefer (if possible) a hotel that has a store (or stores) within walking distance where we can buy a carton of sodas and possibly some other things for our cruise. And it would be a big plus if the rate is $150.00 or less for a decent hotel that doesn't have a bunch of negative reviews. Thank-you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hotels on 17th Street/Convention Center area are close to a lot of stores, and are very popular with cruisers.  They typically have a free shuttle from airport to hotel, and a paid ($7-10 per person) shuttle to port.  We are familiar with Extended Stay America, Holiday Inn Express, and Hyatt; there are others in the area.

Sunny.org is a search site for the Fort Lauderdale area.  As well, you can use sites like Expedia.  If you come up with some possibilities but can't tell if there are stores nearby, you can come back here to ask.

Prices are very date-dependent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$150 a night at the end of February - in the midst of high season - is a tough order.  Check out www.sunny.org for informationon hotels.  The 17th Street area is popular because it is closest to the port and has lots of shops and restaurants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hampton Inn in Plantation checks most of your boxes, except it won’t be $150 at the end of February.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need to bump your budget up by $50+ for a reasonable hotel in prime season. Don't focus on shuttles as you can use Uber or Lyft or a taxi - distances are not far and fares are reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohninDC said:

You will need to bump your budget up by $50+ for a reasonable hotel in prime season. Don't focus on shuttles as you can use Uber or Lyft or a taxi - distances are not far and fares are reasonable.

Yep, good luck finding anything decent (or at all) for 150.00.  And forget about the "free shuttles", it will just complicate your hotel search and limit your options.   Besides, hotel shuttle are inefficient and generally unpleasant.  Uber is cheap and quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hotel Morrison FLL Airport, Ascend Hotel Collection, Dania Beach

3-star3 stars
28 South Federal Highway, Dania Beach, FL, 33004, United States of America, 866-538-0251

 

3-star hotel with outdoor pool, near The Casino at Dania Beach
  • Free buffet breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking
  • Free airport shuttle
  • Collect nights
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are comfortable, I would suggest looking into an AirBnB.

 

We have a lovely place booked for 2 couples in a 2BR 1BA for the night before our cruise (Jan. 29 - Jan. 30), weekend of Superbowl.  I think we paid about $100 total.  I just look or a superhost with a lot of good reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, beachbum53 said:

We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale on Feb. 28 for one night. We are booked on a cruise leaving on Feb. 29. We're looking for a hotel that has shuttle service from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise port. We'd prefer (if possible) a hotel that has a store (or stores) within walking distance where we can buy a carton of sodas and possibly some other things for our cruise. And it would be a big plus if the rate is $150.00 or less for a decent hotel that doesn't have a bunch of negative reviews. Thank-you.

On 17th St. there’s a Holiday Inn Express, Renaissance, Embassy Suites, Extended Stay America, and Hilton Marina. All are about 2 miles east of the airport, and all are about a mile or so from the port. Plenty of stores within walking distance.

Edited by skrufy
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank-you to everyone that responded. After further research, I discovered that rates at all of the better hotels in FLL (Hyatt, Embassy Suites, etc.) are higher at the end of February, due mostly to higher demand at that time.  Yes, there are hotels (Days Inn, Quality Inn, etc.) with lower rates, but far too many negative reviews to make them worth considering. We decided to accept the fact that it will cost more to get what we wanted, so we booked the Hyatt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 7:59 PM, btregoning said:

If you are comfortable, I would suggest looking into an AirBnB.

 

We have a lovely place booked for 2 couples in a 2BR 1BA for the night before our cruise (Jan. 29 - Jan. 30), weekend of Superbowl.  I think we paid about $100 total.  I just look or a superhost with a lot of good reviews.

I probably would not suggest a place if you haven't stayed there yet.  

 

OP don't forget to try Hotwire hot rates.

Edited by BlueHerons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AirBnB takes a certain amount of trust. That is one reason I always look for a superhost and a lot of reviews. 
 

We have stayed in AirBNB/VRBOs in Orlando, San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, etc and always had good luck. But we are always looking for a self contained unit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btregoning said:

AirBnB takes a certain amount of trust. That is one reason I always look for a superhost and a lot of reviews. 
 


Excellent advice especially in south Florida.  Many condos have strict rules, agreed to when buying a unit, prohibiting short term rentals.  Common is the requirement that a rental be at least 3 months long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...