Hotels in Amsterdam

iowegean

We are looking for recommendations for a pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam in June.  Not sure of the areas we should be looking in.  Near the cruise port?  City Center?  Any and all advice is welcome.  This is our first cruise leaving from an international port and we would like to make the most of our time in Amsterdam.

We stayed at the Apollo Hotel.  It is not that close to the cruise port but we were cruising from Rotterdam, not Amsterdam.  It was a great place with good restaurants on property and within walking distance.  We walked to the market.  

The Doubletree Centraal Station is in a good location for both sightseeing and getting to the port.

I stayed at a small local hotel booked for my by my TA called Nova Hotel.  Very reasonably priced and centrally located for sightseeing.  Short cab ride to port.  

I was wowed by Amsterdam.  Can't wait to visit again.  

We stayed at Banks Mansion - absolutely loved it.  Great location - walking distance to Anne Frank house and to the museum district.  All inclusive hotel - literally, drinks, breakfast with a lovely serving in the afternoon of cheeses, appies and wine that they bring from the market and excellent service and help.

Loved Amsterdam.  

We stayed at the Kimpton.  Loved the hotel and walkable to every where, but if you don’t want to walk trams are within a one minute walk.  We took an Uber to the port.  It is walkable - about 20 minutes, but the cobblestone sidewalks are hard on luggage wheels.  Free wine everyday from 4-5 in the lobby.  

26 minutes ago, wesport said:

We always stay at the Hotel JL76 in the museum district. Much quieter, but can walk to central city in 10 to 15 minutes. Many nice restaurants very close.  It is a boutique hotel. 

A lot of cruisers stay here as did we.  We enjoyed our stay.

We stayed at Monet Gardens and had a canal view room. It was 1 floor below the entry and had a platform with benches in the room to bring you “over the water”. They offered a nice breakfast. We walked all over Amsterdam, including to the port.

84140602-F701-4C00-BFE5-7F967728E779.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
Add pix

For me it would depend on how many nights - one or two, I'd probably stay close to the train station / ship's dock (which will probably be near the station). But it is super busy there! If three or more nights I would probaly look for a hotel in the canal ring / Jordan which is not far from the station but much more pleasant.

There are many options depending on your price point.

Right next to the PTA (cruise port) is the Movenpick. Very modern & a short distance from Centraal Station (tram #26 or walk).

Near Amsterdam Centraal: Ibis, Barbizon Palace (to name just a few)

We like the Krasnapolsky - great location on Dam Square. If you prefer a room on a canal, we loved the Pulitzer.

We stayed post cruise last summer for 3 nights at the Amsterdam

Marriott. It’s walking distance to museums and restaurants was perfect.

(Pre cruise we opted for one night at the airport Hilton, for convenience)

4 hours ago, harryw said:

We stayed post cruise last summer for 3 nights at the Amsterdam

Marriott. It’s walking distance to museums and restaurants was perfect.

(Pre cruise we opted for one night at the airport Hilton, for convenience)

We also stayed at the Marriott and really enjoyed it. The hotel staff were the friendliest that we have ever encounter. 

Thanks for all of the replies.  Looks like a lot of those are already full for my dates, yikes, or out of my price range.  I still have a few more to look at.  

Edited by iowegean
added

14 hours ago, kazu said:

We stayed at Banks Mansion - absolutely loved it.  Great location - walking distance to Anne Frank house and to the museum district.  All inclusive hotel - literally, drinks, breakfast with a lovely serving in the afternoon of cheeses, appies and wine that they bring from the market and excellent service and help.

Loved Amsterdam.  

I second this hotel. Breakfast was great and they really do provide complimentary beverages. We had a room facing the canal and could not have been more pleased. 
enjoy Amsterdam as it is truly a marvelous city.