Cruise Critic Community

Is there a discussion on the Crystal board about the new build?  Searching on my phone is not yielding anything.

I hear it is a done deal.  88000 tons.  1000 passenger configuration.

Posted (edited)

Do tell? That would be news...

Are you referring to the recent Genting announcement on their new Universal Class standard design?

See https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2715794-new-genting-universal-class-ships-a-future-crystal-build/

Edited by Stickman1990

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Do tell? That would be news...

Are you referring to the recent Genting announcement on their new Universal Class standard design?

See https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2715794-new-genting-universal-class-ships-a-future-crystal-build/

Not the announcement, thanks for that, but onboard conversations.  I will follow the topic, thanks for the link.

I’m still waiting for a press release, but the latest configuration I heard was tied to the Universal Class platform as Stickman mentioned.  I haven’t read anything official yet though — would love to hear more.

Vince

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I’m still waiting for a press release, but the latest configuration I heard was tied to the Universal Class platform as Stickman mentioned.  I haven’t read anything official yet though — would love to hear more.

Vince

Yes, the onboard conversations were based upon the 88000 ton universal build.  Specific mentions of 1000 passengers, larger public areas.  Larger cabins too presumably (all suite?) but that is speculation on my part.  Nothing official, just onboard talk.

Edited by flyingshoes

I was on the recent Symphony Presidents Cruise, Mr Wolber gave a 45 minute presentation, not a lot was mentioned about the new Ocean Cruise ship apart from saying that he knew that Crystal cruisers enjoyed the deck seven walk around facility and that he did not want to rush the project as he wanted to get it completely right. No time span or other design details were mentioned. He did spend quite a lot of time promoting the upcoming Endeavour ship.

Just now, nooosey said:

he did not want to rush the project as he wanted to get it completely right. No time span or other design details were mentioned. He did spend quite a lot of time promoting the upcoming Endeavour ship.

Well he’s in no danger of being accused of that....

They’ve supposedly been planning this and had approval for several years now 

My guess is they were sent back to the drawing board in 2019 with the decision by Genting to go with this Universal Design 

I’m definitely not convinced a 200 person Expedition ship, with a $1000 a day per diem, is going to stave off the trend for people to explore other options - which are coming thick and fast from pretty much every other luxury line 

There are a lot of conflicting requirements on the ocean ships that have caused a lot of back-and-forth.  The "dings" that Crystal are trying to fix are:

1) Limited crew capacity leads to limited hours for certain facilities, especially dining options

2) Small cabins vs. competitors

3) Dining venues whose space was allocated in general arrangement calculations from 20-30 years ago, and before Crystal offered open seating...  Causing demand issues and surcharges to manage.

Among the things people don't want to give up are:

1) More public lounge options and more public space per passenger than the lines with all-suite cabins

2) Wrap Around Promenade and open deck space on more decks than just up-top.

Some of the constraints on these items are:

1) Large Cabins + Lots of Public Space + Lots of Crew to Staff Longer Hours = Huge Ship

2) Huge Ship = Lots of Berths To Fill

3) Crystal has historically had trouble filling more than two large ships worth of berths.  With the reduction of berths on Symphony and Serenity occupancy has generally done much better, but there's no market data showing they'd be able to fill a third ship at this rate.

4) More Cabin Space + No Loss of Public Space + More Crew + New Ship = Higher Cost

5) The new ship would likely generate higher demand, but with higher per diems needed to balance the cost, would that offset any of the higher demand?

Assuming that the new ships JUST replace the current ones, and refresh the product, this still represents a significant increase in berths and expense that management needs to show will work before they pull the trigger (again). 

From a distance I think we've all been watching the juggle back-and-forth between making the ships smaller and easier to achieve the targets/cost and lowering risk, and the goals that go out the window with the smaller size as sacrifices need to be made. (Plus the smaller ships add the potential to divide the customer base between 3 ships instead of 2, giving them a boost on covering more area geographically.)  A 60,000 ton ship was going to either leave you with small (current sized) cabins OR less public space and crew, and obviously we saw that idea die pretty quickly.

And so the yo-yo has been cycling back and forth.  I think the game changer now, that Crystal didn't seem to quite have before, was the ability to offset some of the technical cost of the ship's development across other brands and hulls, that you get with being part of a class of newbuilds instead of an exclusive platform.  I think that helped tip the numbers and make a larger ship finally feasible, and solving some of these conflicts that had them stuck for a while.

Just how I see it from where I sit...

Vince

I certainly don't think we are going to see these in 2022 if at all as promised.  I'm hoping some announcement will be made on the WC's.   I would expect 2023 itineraries to start arriving soon so if going to be 2023 then they need to announce something.

The other issue that Crystal is facing is more and "better" competition.  Many cruise ratings no longer list Crystal as the #1 luxury or medium ship line.  So if you haven't done luxury and are looking I'm sure many aren't even considering Crystal.

If they do new ocean ships I would it would be similar to when Serenity was launched they will keep the old 2 and 1 new for a while and then retire Symphony and replace with a new ship, etc.

As much as I might like I can't see doing the expedition at at least 1,000/day.  I hope they have enough customers to support that ship at that price.

There has been a lot of back and forth on a final design which has certainly impacted timing. Hopefully that means a well thought out ship. I don’t think you will hear anything more until they are ready to make a full announcement other than hearing things on board which might be spot on or not the latest information. Hopefully rollout will be like Endeavor with a schedule like Endeavor which will be met

Keith

17 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’m definitely not convinced a 200 person Expedition ship, with a $1000 a day per diem, is going to stave off the trend for people to explore other options

... and the rest...Drib’s analysis has it at almost $1,200 pp pd with some itineraries starting at $1,500 pp pd and thats before Drib’s tool (?) indicated the port fees!

1 hour ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

... and the rest...Drib’s analysis has it at almost $1,200 pp pd with some itineraries starting at $1,500 pp pd

I stopped counting at US$1000 😂

That mod is done, FFCS. I haven't received any bug reports, and it looks good to me.

The fees (taxes, fees and port charges) are odd for Endeavor - that is that they're too even - like a flat $50 per day before 2023, and then $75 per day. They're really inconsequential compared to the base fare. And yes, the average is around 1200 per day, but keep in mind that's for an S7, the lowest category cabin, and there are only a few of those . With fares like that, they certainly can afford to add a "u" to its name!

If anyone knows of a site that has the count of each category on each ship, I could use that and maybe do some interesting, and probably useless, statistically with it.

There were four trips with lower fares for the first time in December. Those were all Australia and New Zealand at the end of 2020, so maybe it's related to the current climate issues there. That's very rough - like piling on - insult after injury.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, drib said:

With fares like that, they certainly can afford to add a "u" to its name!

Too right! - such an insult - especially when they have talked about Cooks ship in the same breath as this one 

Dont associate the fare changes for Australasia with the bush fires - although they’re being used as the reason for just about anything and everything happening down here at the moment -  so a positive spin wouldn’t hurt 

Edited by Stickman1990