Goodbye (old) Spirit

KeithJenner

The beds on the Spirit circa 2006 were tiny and rock hard. The two "twins" barely made a full sized bed when combined. I don't know what the other changes were since then, but tiny, concrete beds were one of the major reasons I never went back. Now I'm booked for Japan in November. Can't wait to see the changes!

39 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

The beds and pillows were very comfortable in our INSIDE cabin this past Dec 2019. Your trip was so long ago. I bet they had several mattress changes since 2006.  The Spirit will be an exemplary ship.

Thanks! I assumed there had been many changes but they can't change the cabin size. I think the beds are smaller than normal because the cabins are smaller (at least the balconies are). I haven't seen an inside.

The press release about the changes mentioned Taste as additional MDR... In fact it´s just a name change Windows stays and The Garden Room tuns into Taste Restaurant.

Wonder what that "Lounge" replacing the teen disco on deck 13 will be for...

Splash Academy (or Charlie´s Child Care) is turned into new cabins...

steamboats

6 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

The beds and pillows were very comfortable in our INSIDE cabin this past Dec 2019. Your trip was so long ago. I bet they had several mattress changes since 2006.  The Spirit will be an exemplary ship.

I must be the princess in Princess & the Pea. Spent last week on the fairly new Joy and thought the floor was softer than the mattress! Even with a mattress pad, it wasn’t great.  I slept on top of the pillows. That worked well but must have confused the room steward a bit.

Nevertheless, looking forward to the updated cabin decor. The renderings look elegant. Counting down the long weeks and months until November...

• Like 1

I wish they would move the spirit back to the US. Would love a small ship that does not encourage children to join. I love kids but not on my cruise filling the pools and hot tubs. We sailed on her for 15 night repo cruise Boston to New Orleans in 2010 and absolutely loved it. Best cruise so far out of our 10 with NCL. 

56 minutes ago, notes21 said:

Supposed to sail on the Spirit in May from Japan to Hong Kong Just got this email today about some of the changes.   

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 7.34.25 PM.png

I’m sailing in November and I received that today as well. I hope the downside isn’t kids running all over the ship because there is no place for them to go and be supervised.

Sailing on the Spirit in July out of Tokyo and I'm excited about the renovations.  This will be our first cruise and so far everything I've seen about the redesign sounds lovely (was super worried about there being tons of kids on the ship because it's summer and they're off school, but perhaps this is make it a less attractive option for families with young children).

Nothing against kids, it's just I work with them all day and I'd rather have a break from them when I'm on vacay. 😉