Guest Damage to Cabin on RC

Has anyone ever accidentally damaged something in their RC cabin?  I just returned from a cruise with my family and unfortunately, my 10 yo DD got angry and threw a hairbrush across the room, smashing a mirror.  It was the last day and our disembarking was happening.  I alerted the room attendant and he called for his supervisor and maintenance.  I checked with customer service but they cannot tell me if or how much we will be charged.  Customer service was a bit surprised we were able to leave the ship without settling up.  Any thoughts?

2 minutes ago, deepcman said:

The 10 year old should be banned from Royal and forced to take anger management courses. 

Why do I get the feeling that he parents think this is normal. It's all well and good until someone loses an eye.

HUH???

OP stated that it was THEIR child.  And that they reported it to the cruise line to pay for the damages.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, deepcman said:

The 10 year old should be banned from Royal and forced to take anger management courses. 

Why do I get the feeling that he parents think this is normal. It's all well and good until someone loses an eye.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deepcman said:

That was helpful 😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deepcman said:

Someone has never heard of a temper tantrum. It’s a 10 y/o child, they throw fits on occasion. Heck, my 13 y/o threw fits last summer when the hormones kicked into high gear. So, yes, it is normal for a child of 10 to occasionally act out. You’re the adult, grow up. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

Someone has never heard of a temper tantrum. It’s a 10 y/o child, they throw fits on occasion. Heck, my 13 y/o threw fits last summer when the hormones kicked into high gear. So, yes, it is normal for a child of 10 to occasionally act out. You’re the adult, grow up. 

At least the op did the right thing and reported the damage as I'm sure some people might have said nothing especially when disembarking.

• Like 20

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

At least the op did the right thing and reported the damage as I'm sure some people might have said nothing especially when disembarking.

If the OP hadn’t reported it, they could probably guarantee they’d get charged by RCI. At least this way they have a chance of getting a get out of jail free card. 

I'm not sure why you are asking this question on Cruise Critic.  This was an incident between you and the cruise line, and it appears you did the right thing.  No one on here will know how much a mirror will cost, or if they will charge you.  You are going to get unsolicited advice because you actually posted this.  You might want to get anger management counseling for your child, because it is not normal for kids to throw things at you. (missing and hitting the mirror).  It will only get worse, not better.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm not sure why you are asking this question on Cruise Critic. 

Probably in hopes of finding someone who has gone through something similar. 

Someone on CC has accidently broken something before.  Someone here has experienced something like this.  Maybe not a broken mirror but maybe a broken lamp or ripped a sofa cushion by accident.  

I also don't see where the child was reported to have throw the brush at anyone.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, unrealHeather said:

Has anyone ever accidentally damaged something in their RC cabin?  I just returned from a cruise with my family and unfortunately, my 10 yo DD got angry and threw a hairbrush across the room, smashing a mirror.  It was the last day and our disembarking was happening.  I alerted the room attendant and he called for his supervisor and maintenance.  I checked with customer service but they cannot tell me if or how much we will be charged.  Customer service was a bit surprised we were able to leave the ship without settling up.  Any thoughts?

Ok, here's my thoughts.  You did the right thing;  You reported it immediately and took responsibility.  They know what happened and they know you're willing to make it right. My guess, they'll just replace the mirror no problem and you won't hear another word about it.  So I congratulate you on your honesty and forthrightness.  These days that tends to be somewhat rare.  I wouldn't worry about it.  If they send you a bill, so be it.  But I think it's over and done.  

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

The bigger question is, will the mirror be replaced by the time the ship sails again🧐

Perhaps we will have a whole new thread about what to do when taking over a cabin with a broken mirror!!!!

• Haha 4

I remember either a post or a YT video by a couple that had a mirror fall on their bed from the wall above it and apparently it was replaced/repaired quickly.  Personally, if that was my child, I would have made her go report it and take full responsibility.   She caused the property damage, not her parents.   10 is more than old enough to know better.  There is no reason to throw anything in anger.

Edited by BND
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

If the OP hadn’t reported it, they could probably guarantee they’d get charged by RCI. At least this way they have a chance of getting a get out of jail free card. 

That's true and why it's always best to do the right thing.

I remember a couple of years ago people hung Christmas decorations with tape that removed the paint from a wall that had to be replaced (maybe more than just the paint). Anyway, I believe they were charged about $400. Don’t remember if the charge was before or after they left the ship. 

50 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm not sure why you are asking this question on Cruise Critic.  This was an incident between you and the cruise line, and it appears you did the right thing.  No one on here will know how much a mirror will cost, or if they will charge you.  You are going to get unsolicited advice because you actually posted this.  You might want to get anger management counseling for your child, because it is not normal for kids to throw things at you. (missing and hitting the mirror).  It will only get worse, not better.

Unsolicited advice by others? How about you?

OP said nothing about brush being thown at anyone.

Amazing!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BND said:

I remember either a post or a YT video by a couple that had a mirror fall on their bed from the wall above it and apparently it was replaced/repaired quickly.  Personally, if that was my child, I would have made her go report it and take full responsibility.   She caused the property damage, not her parents.   10 is more than old enough to know better.  There is no reason to throw anything in anger.

Pretty sure that was Andrew (A&L_Ont) that had the mirror incident and is documented in one of his live reviews.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, deepcman said:

Wow, you probably never had kids!

The OP did exactly what they should have done, reported it to the room steward and let it go from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Where was it stated that the brush was thrown at anyone?  I must have missed that part.  Please enlighten us.

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

The OP was asking if anyone else had a situation where they had to deal with cabin damage. It’s completely solicited advice, unless you count the criticism of their child. Kids get tired and cranky at the end of vacation. My son was 12 last summer and gave up trying to see things on the last day and refused to look around at anything at the Tower of London and was just generally miserable to be around. He’s been known to scream into his pillow when he’s mad at me. Kids react in different ways to exhaustion and frustration. Have you never snapped at someone when you’re angry or frustrated? Sheesh. No one mentioned the brush being thrown at a person. That was your assumption. 

• Like 5