I think I regret booking MSC

Whatsmyline

I booked a MSC cruise several months ago.  Then I started lurking on this board and reading all the information.  And now I wish I had not booked this cruise.  Because I didn't book the Yacht Club.

So many posts say the only way to cruise msc is in the yacht club.  That they wouldn't do any other cabin.  Questions about regular cabins get answers about the yacht club.  It's mostly yacht club in the subject lines of posts.  Its yadda yadda yadda yacht club.

I feel like a 2nd class guy who is going to have a 2nd class, lousy time.  Sorry if I sound bitter, but a lot of the posts here have made me feel that way.  

5 minutes ago, Whatsmyline said:

So many posts say the only way to cruise msc is in the yacht club.  That they wouldn't do any other cabin.  

And the only way to cruise NCL is in the Haven.

I booked our third cruise on MSC today but it's far away, 554 days!

I think that most people who haven't tried the Yacht Club, or the Haven, will be happy with what they have booked.

Don't expect an American cruise and I'm sure that you will enjoy your cruise even outside the Yacht Club. 

10 minutes ago, Whatsmyline said:

I booked a MSC cruise several months ago.  Then I started lurking on this board and reading all the information.  And now I wish I had not booked this cruise.  Because I didn't book the Yacht Club.

So many posts say the only way to cruise msc is in the yacht club.  That they wouldn't do any other cabin.  Questions about regular cabins get answers about the yacht club.  It's mostly yacht club in the subject lines of posts.  Its yadda yadda yadda yacht club.

I feel like a 2nd class guy who is going to have a 2nd class, lousy time.  Sorry if I sound bitter, but a lot of the posts here have made me feel that way.  

I cruised with MSC many times never YC never felt like 2nd class and never will. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have sailed on the Divina and Seaside for a total of 53 days over the last year and never been in the Yacht Club.  We were in balcony on Divina and an inside cabin on the Seaside.  I never felt like I was treated differently.  Crew were super nice and treated us like royalty.  If I were to have booked the YC then I would not have been able to afford 53 days at sea in a year.  I enjoy cruising and don't need a butler. 

• Like 7

Good friends recently did a Meraviglia cruise in a regular cabin and came home raving about the experience.  They are not on Cruise Critic.  They particularly enjoyed the shows, the many Italian-based menu items in the MDR and buffet, the beauty of the ship, and the view from their balcony.  They were pleased with their service for both food and cabin.  They booked another one one Seaside while on board. 

While they are very experienced cruisers, this was their first MSC trip.  They mentioned some crowded venues, some negative  comments from other Americans wanting a totally USA-style cruise from a European line, and many children, but said they did not let that spoil their trip. 

We are taking our first MSC trip in a few weeks.  I too have read lots of concerns, most of which are not that important to us or are based on personal attitude.  Our trip will be what WE make it and we plan to enjoy it.  I hope you enjoy yours as well. 

• Like 4

Just returned from our 10th MSC cruise on our 7th ship, sailed in Inside, OV, Fantastica and Aurea balconies and  Aurea Suites and was not treated any different on any of the cruises, have no intention currently to cruise in the YC.

Meraviglia will be a one and done cruise on this class of ship and much prefer the Seaside, Fantasia and Musica class ship's.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 1

Ive recently cruised the Armonia (no YC) and have an upcoming cruise on the Seaview, the type of cabin I want (whirlpool on balcony) doesnt come in YC flavor.  I get where you are coming from because before my Armonia cruise I was having similar concerns and even considering going with a different cabin class so that I could be in YC on my upcoming trip if the first trip didnt go well in steerage.  We are happily sticking with our original cabin choice, hopefully that will make you feel a little better about your choice as well.  🙂

We have cruised MSC twice and not in YC and we will most likely never sail in the yacht club. We are booked 2 more this year and not in YC. The service we have received has been amazing and we never feel like a 2nd class citizen. 

This forum is skewed towards comments reflecting the experience of cruising in the YC.  The OP is not the first person to mention it.  

I don't think it's about the actual service received when one sails in a Bella, etc cabin.  I think what the OP is feeling has more to do with the approach and/or attitude of posters on this forum.  Too many opinions like "If it's not the YC, MSC is horrible."  Too many questions about MDR food answered with "The food in the YC was wonderful." 

I know it's not intentional, and it certainly occurs on other boards (i.e. Celebrity).  But I think I have an idea how the OP feels. 

• Like 8

I've sailed with MSC four times now, three times in a 'standard' cabin (Divina, Preziosa and Grandiosa) and once in YC on Seaside.

Each cruise was an unique experience itself, and I thoroughly enjoyed all them. My advice would be to just think of your own experience whilst on board - not what others may or may not be doing, seeing, or receiving. 

Where are you cruising to? Hope you have a fab time.

19 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

This forum is skewed towards comments reflecting the experience of cruising in the YC.  The OP is not the first person to mention it.  

I don't think it's about the actual service received when one sails in a Bella, etc cabin.  I think what the OP is feeling has more to do with the approach and/or attitude of posters on this forum.  Too many opinions like "If it's not the YC, MSC is horrible."  Too many questions about MDR food answered with "The food in the YC was wonderful." 

I know it's not intentional, and it certainly occurs on other boards (i.e. Celebrity).  But I think I have an idea how the OP feels. 

Judging by the feedback on CC's review pages I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about a dodgy cruise on MSC anywhere but in the YC.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Whatsmyline said:

I totally understand your feelings. It's like the Haven on NCL.  Go over to the Royal Boards and listen to the Pinnacles.   People like to brag.   Ignore them.  It'll be GREAT!  

We're doing Aurea for our 1st one and -gasp - Bella for the 2nd based on our travel companions budgetary restrictions.  I'm on a cruise...it'll be fantastic regardless of where my room is or what dinner location I get. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not about the cruise, it's about the perception on these boards. We just returned from a cruise on the Seaside and had a lively time. I thought it might be helpful to post things like the fact that they dont provide toiletries beyond shampoo and body wash in the cabins ( bring your own body lotion), but I figured I'd get a number of responses telling me about the luxe toiletries available in YC, which is ridiculous since 90% of passengers on board MSC ships are not YC. There just seems to he an overabundance on these boards. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruiser123! said:

I totally understand your feelings. It's like the Haven on NCL.  Go over to the Royal Boards and listen to the Pinnacles.   People like to brag.   Ignore them.  It'll be GREAT!  

We had a fantastic time on our Norwegian cruise, despite hearing that if we weren't in the Haven, there was no point.  We loved it so much, we sailed on NCL again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scamper said:

Judging by the feedback on CC's review pages I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about a dodgy cruise on MSC anywhere but in the YC.

👍  Unfortunately, some (many?) of the posts on this forum don't help. . .

Personally, I'm looking forward to a more European approach, and I'm looking forward to the food.  I admit that I'm NOT happy about the serious limitations of the Easy package, especially that it can't be used in specialty restaurants, and that we can't get My Time Dining in a Bella cabin.   But it's my own fault for not doing my homework, so we'll try very very hard to ignore those annoyances on the Meriglivia.

3 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

👍  Unfortunately, some (many?) of the posts on this forum don't help. . .

Personally, I'm looking forward to a more European approach, and I'm looking forward to the food.  I admit that I'm NOT happy about the serious limitations of the Easy package, especially that it can't be used in specialty restaurants, and that we can't get My Time Dining in a Bella cabin.   But it's my own fault for not doing my homework, so we'll try very very hard to ignore those annoyances on the Meriglivia.

We did the math and decided to upgrade to the premium bev package. $27 per day pp sounds like a lot but the $12 limit gets you so much more in terms of drink selection. We definitely drank $27 per day because most tropical drinks, martinis and good wines are over $10. 

3 hours ago, Whatsmyline said:

@Whatsmyline We were in the Seaview YC for Christmas. It was fabulous but we spent a lot of time visiting different areas of the ship. YC does not have the best icecream. YC does not have the best coffee. After looking at YC Christmas dinner menu we asked concierge to book us a table in Main Dining Room! Service and food was great. Louder and busier than YC but could not fault our waiter. He worker harder and faster to provide service to all his tables. He was less formal - kisses, hug, handshakes etc. Could not fault anything and would happily return. I would even say that our experience prepared us for a possible non-YC booking. The wine is not always cold in YC and the desserts are mostly the same. Afternoon cake treats are identical. Hope you enjoy your cruise. You don't need YC. Remember MSC has many ships with thousands of cruisers per week. Online comments are from a small number. There are millions of happy cruisers around the world on MSC!!! I do hope you have a fantastic vacation and come back online and tell us how amazing your time was onboard.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

We did the math and decided to upgrade to the premium bev package. $27 per day pp sounds like a lot but the $12 limit gets you so much more in terms of drink selection. We definitely drank $27 per day because most tropical drinks, martinis and good wines are over $10. 

I'm NOT trying to whine - like I said, it's my own fault for not doing my research.

I guess I just don't feel that I should have to pay an additional $378 to get frozen daiquiri.  Instead, I have to order a frozen non-alcoholic drink, then order straight up rum and mix it myself.   Or a martini - order my vodka on the rocks, then order white vermouth, add a teeny bit of vermouth to the vodka, then throw away the rest of the vermouth.   And no alcohol or wine in the specialty restaurants just means we won't be eating there (seen the prices of the wines by the bottle in Butcher's Cut.  😱

I'd also prefer that they just charge the difference if I want to get a higher cost drink than my package allows; but I don't think any other cruise line does that except Celebrity. 

/rant over

And thanks to those who seem to understand how OP and I feel.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

I'd also prefer that they just charge the difference if I want to get a higher cost drink than my package allows; but I don't think any other cruise line does that except Celebrity. 

/rant over

And thanks to those who seem to understand how OP and I feel.

Also sister line Royal Caribbean just charges the difference.  Have the deluxe package that covers up to $12 but want a $14 drink?  Just pay the $2 difference and the 36 cents for the 18% gratuity on the $2.

I've sailed the Divina in  the YC and out of it. I enjoyed both cruises. I didn't really miss anything from the YC. I don't need anyone to hold my hand, or get me a glass of wine. I found the food in the MDR almost on par with LeMuse. I'm booked on the Meraviglia for November in a Fantastica balcony, and fully expect to enjoy that too. Forget the negativity, and go with an open mind, and I bet you will enjoy yourself also.

44 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

11 minutes ago, frank808 said:

Also sister line Royal Caribbean just charges the difference.  Have the deluxe package that covers up to $12 but want a $14 drink?  Just pay the $2 difference and the 36 cents for the 18% gratuity on the $2.

NCL also only charges the difference. On NCL we get drinks up to $15 and if we buy one that is $17 just pay the $2 and the 20% gratuity on the $2

• Like 1

While on the ship, most passengers don't even know who is in the Yacht Club and who isn't. The wristbands can be a clue, though. :classic_tongue:

Seriously, even though I sailed in the Yacht Club, I wasn't treated differently than others while I walked through the ship. Yes, I did hijack the elevator a few times but....

4 hours ago, Whatsmyline said:

It's mostly yacht club in the subject lines of posts.  Its yadda yadda yadda yacht club.

I feel like a 2nd class guy who is going to have a 2nd class, lousy time.

The reason for so many "Yacht Club..." threads and posts is that many people are unfamiliar with the "ship-within-a-ship" concept and don't know what to expect before their cruise or are blown away after their first cruise with it. The same thing happens on the NCL forum with the Haven threads. There are "What does a butler do....?" questions there on a regular basis but the questions aren't meant to make those who don't have a butler feel bad. 

It doesn't mean that non-YC and non-Haven guests are mistreated by the staff because of status of the guest. There are great reviews (Check reviews by APDMOM for Seaside and Meraviglia) which aren't Yacht Club. I choose to sail in the Haven and the Yacht Club but I wouldn't refuse to sail without them. My wife, on the other hand, .....:classic_unsure:

• Like 1

It's really too bad that MSC is always a step behind the other mass lines, because it will cost them in passenger referrals and also new bookings. They seem to have earplugs on and using their toes to tip toe through minefields, not really knowing how to behave. I'm referring to the U.S. market. The reason I use earplugs, is that I haven't seen where they change policy based on what they hear from passengers, as do other lines. Celebrity has changed various policies twice that I know of . Putting a charge in effect, then taking it off after a chorus of boos from CC, and I'm sure, on board.