Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
L1211

Follow the Ham Fam as we Chase the Sun!

Recommended Posts

Current situation. I went to the MDR but didn’t want to spend the time. Family is sleeping in and I’ve been working. Sea day work day for me!  
 

I love breakfast food. But I’ve had none on this trip due to late dinners.   But, here’s a perfectly prepared veggie egg white omelette. And breakfast menus. 

62DB7B03-D2F6-433C-B1AE-B8815686F50F.jpeg

1F34F578-803D-42E9-9C99-509573D8714D.jpeg

60246063-9605-44B9-8F56-A68E002A16CB.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, momofmab said:

Thank you for doing a small ship review!  With all the mega ships out there, these reviews are few & far between.  Also loving your review style!  Our very first fam cruise was on the Sun 13 years ago!  It’s fun to revisit the ship!
 

on a purely selfish note, wondering how your daughter likes UK?  Thinking of paying a visit there with my dad, who is a junior in HS (we live in N.C.) 😊

Thank you!  The DD struggled with the size of UK but that might have been any large school. My girls went to a catholic all girl academy for HS. Great education and they are nationally ranked in volleyball. Both girls were on scholarship track. The youngest jumped off, the oldest is playing at San Diego State now.  But the youngest stayed at the HS, loved it. Very hands on and nurturing.  Flash forward to 30k student UK and the transition was very hard. The campus is very spread out. Lots to navigate. Had to take a bus to use her car, making just grocery shopping hard. Everyone goes to off campus housing by year two. It’s been a bit much. Good luck!  The oldest first committed to UNC. So beautiful!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 9:01 AM, Dawnya00 said:

Morning! Are you all using the NCL App to talk/msg each other? Is that available on the Sun?

We used this extensively on our last NCL cruises. Had forgot about it!!  Of course those were mega ships. We’ve had not trouble finding one another on the Sun. Sea day may change that. But it’s such a good idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you planning your last day  Boo hoo.  Sunning is on the docket for the DDs

 

 it it’s pretty cloudy right now. We only have Cagney’s planned this evening. There is a late night comedy show so will try to move up dinner 30 minutes to see if we can make ONE show this trip.  I want lunch in the MDR because the shrimp and arugula salad is on the menu!  

B963669C-395A-4624-B974-11E1392DC08F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 9:11 AM, L1211 said:

Yes, but one more thing we missed from lack of research...

Is the NCL App Chat Free? Myself, DH, DS will be heading out on the SUN in the near future. We'll be upgrading to unlimited Wifi which I know is good for 1 device at a time. I expect to spend most of our time together, but DS is super sociable & we want to be able to get in touch with him if he ends up making new friends. 

 

PS - Thank you for your review. It is great! You and your family look like you are having so much fun! If you are in the Sports Bar gain, I'd be interested to find out what they have planned for Superbowl. I would assume it will be on in the Bar & staterooms, but I wonder if they'll also show in Bliss or Theater etc. Cheers & enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunning isn’t going to happen anytime soon. Upper decks closed. Even dining by the rails off limits. Never witnessed this before!  

4E944AF2-77F7-4620-B1DE-84F9855CF7FA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, aprylstar said:

Is the NCL App Chat Free? Myself, DH, DS will be heading out on the SUN in the near future. We'll be upgrading to unlimited Wifi which I know is good for 1 device at a time. I expect to spend most of our time together, but DS is super sociable & we want to be able to get in touch with him if he ends up making new friends. 

 

PS - Thank you for your review. It is great! You and your family look like you are having so much fun! If you are in the Sports Bar gain, I'd be interested to find out what they have planned for Superbowl. I would assume it will be on in the Bar & staterooms, but I wonder if they'll also show in Bliss or Theater etc. Cheers & enjoy the rest of your vacation.

So sharing an internet package is way too easy. Anyone can visit “login.com” and login with your credentials (name and birth date I think). If someone else is on the unlimited package, it asks you if you want to log them off. Then that person has the internet. My girls figured that out day one!  They can bump me anytime. Thats

why I mostly post in the morning!   They are sleeping...  

 

football has been a blast. It’s on channel 27 as a special event in your state room. The sports bar would be way too small for super bowl. Will ask! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, L1211 said:

So sharing an internet package is way too easy. Anyone can visit “login.com” and login with your credentials (name and birth date I think). If someone else is on the unlimited package, it asks you if you want to log them off. Then that person has the internet. My girls figured that out day one!  They can bump me anytime. Thats

why I mostly post in the morning!   They are sleeping...  

 

football has been a blast. It’s on channel 27 as a special event in your state room. The sports bar would be way too small for super bowl. Will ask! 

Awesome, thank you! If my son is logged into the internet package on his phone, am I able to access and NCL chat app to connect with him without a second package/for free? If not, I think I'll add a social media package for him so that 2 can be online for communication purposes. I won't do this until we are onboard b.c I suspect we will be spending most time together and may not be necessary. Have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How I’m going to spend my morning...  dumb

me just checked my onboard account. Also on the app. Lots is $10 to $25 charges for drinks. Overages I’m sure for wine and call liquors that should not be there with the PPBP.  Sigh. 

0EB5798E-9350-4E65-96BD-973019D77F6E.jpeg

Edited by L1211
Photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, L1211 said:

Current situation. I went to the MDR but didn’t want to spend the time. Family is sleeping in and I’ve been working. Sea day work day for me!  
 

I love breakfast food. But I’ve had none on this trip due to late dinners.   But, here’s a perfectly prepared veggie egg white omelette. And breakfast menus. 

62DB7B03-D2F6-433C-B1AE-B8815686F50F.jpeg

1F34F578-803D-42E9-9C99-509573D8714D.jpeg

60246063-9605-44B9-8F56-A68E002A16CB.jpeg

 

I LOVE having breakfast in the MDR on a sea day, however, getting my butt out of bed in time on a sea day is difficult! Plan for next cruise, get butt out of bed and to the MDR for breakfast, then back to bed? Hmmm.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, L1211 said:

Thank you!  The DD struggled with the size of UK but that might have been any large school. My girls went to a catholic all girl academy for HS. Great education and they are nationally ranked in volleyball. Both girls were on scholarship track. The youngest jumped off, the oldest is playing at San Diego State now.  But the youngest stayed at the HS, loved it. Very hands on and nurturing.  Flash forward to 30k student UK and the transition was very hard. The campus is very spread out. Lots to navigate. Had to take a bus to use her car, making just grocery shopping hard. Everyone goes to off campus housing by year two. It’s been a bit much. Good luck!  The oldest first committed to UNC. So beautiful!  


So many similarities!  My oldest is a UNC graduate - Go Heels!  Love it there but my youngest might want to do something different after spending so much time at UNC when her sister was there.  My girls are also at a Catholic HS (although coed).  My youngest is a student athlete (softball in HS & volleyball in middle school), but definitely does not want to be a college athlete.  
 

Thanks for the feedback on UK!  She’s not interested in being north of VA/KY or west of TN, so it limits the search grid 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, L1211 said:

How I’m going to spend my morning...  dumb

me just checked my onboard account. Also on the app. Lots is $10 to $25 charges for drinks. Overages I’m sure for wine and call liquors that should not be there with the PPBP.  Sigh. 

0EB5798E-9350-4E65-96BD-973019D77F6E.jpeg

Ughh, that's frustrating! We have the PPBP also. Interested in hearing how this goes for you. Good luck. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm curious to see how they are going to handle drinks with my son. When we booked, it was open bar. My son will be 18 & we will sign the consent so that he can have beer and wine. When they cancelled open bar, they gave everyone who booked the beverage package OR if you had the premium beverage as a perk they upgraded yo uto PPBP. That's fine for myself and husband, but my son is 18 and therefore too young for a beverage package. I've called customer service twice and no one has any answers on how they will accommodate this on our sailing other than "don't worry, he is grandfathered in, you won't have to pay for his drinks". I suspect I will also be waiting in line at customer service at some point! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bad. The charges are the DD’s tequila shot up charges. She only had the regular beverage package, but high end taste!!!  It’s about $125. Should have had that talk!!!  The others DD has about $25 in Truly charges. Not much of a drinker...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jonslola said:

 

I LOVE having breakfast in the MDR on a sea day, however, getting my butt out of bed in time on a sea day is difficult! Plan for next cruise, get butt out of bed and to the MDR for breakfast, then back to bed? Hmmm.....

Especially on a day like this. Made

for sleeping. Ugly skies, cold and a soft rock to the ship. MDR breakfast and back to bed would be a perfect plan. Set your alarm for lunch!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, L1211 said:

My bad. The charges are the DD’s tequila shot up charges. She only had the regular beverage package, but high end taste!!!  It’s about $125. Should have had that talk!!!  The others DD has about $25 in Truly charges. Not much of a drinker...

 

Make sure you are supposed to be paying for the DIFFERENCE plus 20%, not the FULL price plus 20%. Like if the shot cost $20, you should be paying $5 + 20%. ALSO the bartenders should be giving you the receipt/invoice for the difference to sign!

 

That happened to me twice last cruise, and I complained that I wasn't given anything to sign or advised of the extra cost … so they wrote the 2 charges off.

 

 

Edited by bluesea777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

 

Make sure you are supposed to be paying for the DIFFERENCE plus 20%, not the FULL price plus 20%. Like if the shot cost $20, you should be paying $5 + 20%. ALSO the bartenders should be giving you the receipt/invoice for the difference to sign!

 

That happened to me twice last cruise, and I complained that I wasn't given anything to sign or advised of the extra cost … so they wrote the 2 charges off.

 

 

Good point. No receipt given to sign. Would have been nice to have stopped it right away!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sun sighting on the Sun!!

 

7DD23169-AFD5-487C-9966-CD29D6D589B0.jpeg

Edited by L1211
Content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Afternoon plan- MDR lunch for shrimp and arugula salad,  black glass window tasting in Le Bistro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, L1211 said:

Afternoon plan- MDR lunch for shrimp and arugula salad,  black glass window tasting in Le Bistro. 

We had a blast at the black glass tasting, one of the group was doing his best "wine afficionado" impersonations, comparing the wines to "fine aged dog feet" etc. Enjoy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, L1211 said:

Afternoon plan- MDR lunch for shrimp and arugula salad,  black glass window tasting in Le Bistro. 

 

Let us know how the windows taste.  Make sure and clean them afterwards.  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our current situation. MDR lunch. Oh my that blue crab salad. And a lovely Chardonnay. 

C0D2900C-FF8A-4F2A-99CA-A621723527B4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

 

Let us know how the windows taste.  Make sure and clean them afterwards.  😉

Ha ha!  They do not look too tasty...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our own wine tasting at the MDR. On our 3rd glass from the PPBP section. Good call if I may say so. 

6ED730CB-5846-459A-AD88-0E373E5179DC.jpeg

Edited by L1211

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tasting was a bust. Required 5 and I was the only to show. Here’s the set up. Nice. 

15ED560D-5EC3-4D9C-B25C-C286D05F7CF8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have really enjoyed following along

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...