Follow the Ham Fam as we Chase the Sun!

L1211

2 hours ago, L1211 said:

I might. We signed up the college sophomore DD to drink beer and wine.  She’s on her second beer!  But I wanted to let her have a glass of champagne at dinner. May give Moet a try tonight!! 

I am planning to do this also for my 20yo. I am bringing a copy of his birth certificate only because I am concerned that they will give me a hard time since we have different las names, I remarried and I know only parents can sign the waiver.

1 hour ago, Dawnya00 said:

I am planning to do this also for my 20yo. I am bringing a copy of his birth certificate only because I am concerned that they will give me a hard time since we have different las names, I remarried and I know only parents can sign the waiver.

She had to have her drivers license for some reason. I brought our passports but she had it With her. She’s not a big drinker. 

1 hour ago, Dawnya00 said:

Is the top shelf marg part of the PBP or can you get it on the UBP?

The perfect margarita is pretty good!  The top shelf let’s you call the tequila and I get a float of grand marnair (sp??). That’s only with the premium. 

2 hours ago, bostongal965 said:

I'm here! LOL. Enjoying your review, though I'm sad about your room disappointment - the Sun has a lot of "special" rooms (in all categories) that are worth knowing about when you book. My DH & I will be on her in a few weeks for our 5th time! She's one of our favorites for  nice relaxing cruise - not the biggest or fanciest, but has a lot of cool features including a great staff. We've had better bar service on the Sun than on the Epic, and some of the best stewards of any of our cruises! Afternoon coffee in the Great Outdoors Café, a relaxing walk around the Promenade deck, evening cocktails in the Observation Lounge (now called Spinnaker, I think) - so great. I also like that there is still a lot available to do without an upcharge. My only complaint is that I wish the entertainment were a little better - I love Howl at the Moon, too, and I don't know why they couldn't have it on the Sun.

Have fun with your family tonight! One of my best cruise memories was watching Thanksgiving football with my family on the Dawn - we had so much fun that we still refer to it as one of the best Thanksgivings ever!

Thanks for the menu & dailies pictures, too!

Lesson learned!  Yes, football today will be a memory we don’t forget. The ship is rocking so bad tonight I’m not sure how long we will make it. Sigh. Le Bistro is off to a good start!!

7 hours ago, L1211 said:

Did you know the sports bar doesn’t serve food during the day on the Sun?  Not an OSH  substitute. Starts serving around 6 till 5am???  

I definitely missed the option of breakfast and lunch in an O’Sheehan’s type venue on the Sun.  

We did like you did and went to the Great Outdoors buffet and sat at the Sports Bar tables during breakfast and lunch hours - before the Sports Bar starts serving food.

We always avoid that teeny/crowded main buffet.  FYI, the Moderno space has a small buffet set up for breakfast and lunch.

14 hours ago, L1211 said:

Every seat taken at the sports bar!  Seems to be a Buffalo crowd. Go Bills!!!  The DH is long-suffering fan. Much fun!!  Did you know the sports bar doesn’t serve food during the day on the Sun?  Not an OSP substitute. Starts serving around 6 till 5am???  

3BC1A550-67C0-432E-BEEE-F22EF39DFCB6.jpeg

The ship needs a 24 hour food venue.  I would vote for the sports bar.  Should not require a dry dock to make it happen.  Some soccer fans were there all night for Euro soccer matches.    Track down Igor (GM) and mention it to him.  Thanks for the hotel and port suggestions.  

Edited by ew101

16 hours ago, L1211 said:

Made the HUGE mistake of glancing in a room being cleaned by our steward. Holy cow!  Our cabin would fit into the room twice. On our floor/hall just a few cabins down. OV with a full sized sofa BESIDE the king sized bed. And floor space the size of our cabin. Here’s our cabin for late comers. 

6938E68E-681F-4C26-826E-13D63137FDF8.jpeg

I’m guessing that one is 6009. We sailed the Sun this past July and are again in August For 12 days to Alaska. We sail with our two young daughters and booked 6009 as it looked much larger than any other Oveanview on the ship although obstructed. The space for 12 days would be a must. Finding pics of it on the web are difficult and very few reviews as it seems to be a hidden gem for a good price. 

My apologies for anyone following. Got kicked out of cruise critic last night and couldn’t sign back in. Frustrating!  I do these reviews to have a wonderful travel log of our full trip!  And, I get to take some wonderful CC members along with us!  

• Like 4

Starbucks at sea seems to always be busy!  I’m only here because it’s free With package.  Not a huge coffee drinker. Some of those drinks have a DAY of calories...  

F0FD4DA5-920D-4AA4-AE51-012578A58F12.jpeg

Edited by L1211
Typo

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

I’m guessing that one is 6009. We sailed the Sun this past July and are again in August For 12 days to Alaska. We sail with our two young daughters and booked 6009 as it looked much larger than any other Oveanview on the ship although obstructed. The space for 12 days would be a must. Finding pics of it on the web are difficult and very few reviews as it seems to be a hidden gem for a good price. 

No, it isn't 6009. OP says it's on their deck which would be deck 5.

See my picture of 6008. Your cabin 6009 would be shorter but much wider than 6008. 

DSC07504.JPG

Edited by bluesea777

10 hours ago, herdingdogmom said:

I definitely missed the option of breakfast and lunch in an O’Sheehan’s type venue on the Sun.  

We did like you did and went to the Great Outdoors buffet and sat at the Sports Bar tables during breakfast and lunch hours - before the Sports Bar starts serving food.

We always avoid that teeny/crowded main buffet.  FYI, the Moderno space has a small buffet set up for breakfast and lunch.

Who knew!  Would have NEVER Moderno found for breakfast!!!  So much nicer than the buffet. Love The CC family!!  Has small buffet and made to order eggs and waffles.  Lovely venue   

2B4800B6-FA99-489F-9380-446FAE928C26.jpeg

33E66A93-D7F1-4D8D-BB83-9E1A60A1CDDA.jpeg

• Like 1

Still following and completely enjoying your review. Did the seas calm down last night? Are you in port today? Hows the weather? What did you eat after the soup course last night? Overall Le Bistro opinion for last night? Carry on - sorry you got booted last night - our loss! Thanks again, this is great.

23 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

No, it isn't 6009. OP says it's on their deck which would be deck 5.

See my picture of 6008. Your cabin 6009 would be shorter but much wider than 6008. 

DSC07504.JPG

I was telling the Hubs last night they should be ashamed of calling our room on 5 an OV. You have to crawl on your knees over the bed to see the ocean. Shouldn’t you have to advertise that as a “crawl on your knees over your bed if you want to see the ocean OV room”???  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cincicruisers said:

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.  Do you happen to know the hours for the sports bar?

They only serve food 6pm to 5 am. Odd right??  Miss having OSH as an option for a casual sit down lunch. But, the wings were outstanding!!

So we have a public bathroom at the end of our very short hall practically making our room a two bathroom suite!  Given two people cannot move in the room at the same time I’m considering putting my makeup on in there tonight!  Lovely bathroom. Well lit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1