Should I accept the upgrade?

Pengawin3

Booked PG marquesas while on board last September doing Tahiti to Fiji. 

Chose cabin 767 for its location, unique layout, and full walk in shower. Was alerted on December 31st she is going into dry dock and the 5 fan tail cabins will now be TWO cabins.

No, they weren't emailing me to congratulate me on my luck, but to say we're "upgraded" to cabin 815 with a king bed, larger cabin, and a butler because our cabin will be no more.

I don't see this as any upgrade. Trading unique for cookie cutter is no upgrade to me! Don't want a butler. Don't need a butler. I wanted the cabin I chose. That's why I chose it and booked the cruise. I said it when I booked in September for a March 2021 cruise. 

YES, I knew Ponant had bought PG. I was on the announcement sailing with the Ponant representative. 

I suggested they give us upgraded air to compensate but was told the "upgrade" was already worth $2000pp and there would be no counter offer. 

Now what? Chime in, please. 

Edited by Pengawin3
Spelling error, clarity

Take it  .....

The Veranda B cabins are very nice. Larger cabin, larger balcony, quiet, easy access to the pool area and pool bar. 

Our last trip we had a Veranda B  .... loved it. We didn't use the butler much either but it was nice to have him handle a few things ... love being close to the 'private' front balcony. 

Take the upgrade  .... the Marquesas cruise often fills up and rarely are there 'deals'  .... don't even think about it just accept the upgrade and don't worry, your in for a treat 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Thanks 1

I say take it.  These B cabins are in a great location, believe me.  This happened to us on our Marquesas trip, although we had to pay something for the upgrade.  Really enjoyed having such easy access to the pool deck and the "secret" forward deck nearby.  Our butler was very nice, and we hardly used him.

• Like 1

Agree with the other comments. If and when we cruise on the PG again, it will be in Category B. We were in 805 in June. Great cabin, King bed instead of a Queen, great location, no negatives. We didn't use the butler for a lot, but he did get our specialty dining reservations, including the deck-top dining under the stars at Le Grill during the Bora Bora overnight, even though others told us they were told it was already booked up.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, all, for chiming in.

A little background:

This would be my 5th cruise with PG, so I know it'll be great.

I have little choice in the matter now, since 767 will no longer exist, but I think my disappointment is valid and they should do more for us. Throw in some obc, something. That cabin would sell, regardless. I booked ONLY because 767 was available, the itinerary was on our list to do, AND it's over my birthday.

We've spent close to $50k on trips with PG; I expect better care and customer service than their take it or leave it attitude. 

Penga - You make some valid points, specific to your situation. I hope you ultimately get some satisfaction out of PG.

But even more than that, I hope you have a fabulous time on your Marquesas cruise. I'm kinda thinking you will. 🙂

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pengawin3 said:

Thanks, all, for chiming in.

A little background:

This would be my 5th cruise with PG, so I know it'll be great.

I have little choice in the matter now, since 767 will no longer exist, but I think my disappointment is valid and they should do more for us. Throw in some obc, something. That cabin would sell, regardless. I booked ONLY because 767 was available, the itinerary was on our list to do, AND it's over my birthday.

We've spent close to $50k on trips with PG; I expect better care and customer service than their take it or leave it attitude. 

Please tell me what the great whoop was about the aft balconies.  Standard-sized cabins, pretty well?  Larger balcony I think?  I've spent about 9 weeks on the PG, and my two weeks in our B cabin was great, trust us, you'll love it.  In terms of fares, they are giving you a big upgrade, for free.

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Please tell me what the great whoop was about the aft balconies.  Standard-sized cabins, pretty well?  Larger balcony I think?  I've spent about 9 weeks on the PG, and my two weeks in our B cabin was great, trust us, you'll love it.  In terms of fares, they are giving you a big upgrade, for free.

The big whoop was that we love the fan tail! Also 767 is the largest of the aft cabins, priced same as category C, so it was a deal on top of it all! Walk in shower. Large cabin. Large balcony. Unique. 

I totally get that deck 8 is an upgrade. The captain's suite would be an upgrade too, but I would turn it down due to being so far forward you'll have a bumpy ride AND have to endure the constant anchor noise at every port. 😁

What's acceptable to one isn't necessarily a great deal to another. 

While I have never stayed in 767, I had it reserved for an 11 day Society/Cook cruise in Sept 2021. Booked the room the day the 2021 cruises were announced. I have stayed in a C Cabin 721, and a B cabin 811. Perhaps there is something special about 767, I'll never know. I do know that there is something special about Deck 8, and the B cabins there. We took the upgrade, a $4000 value, in a heartbeat, gratefully. 

• Like 1

We were able to visit 767 after our Tahiti to Fiji cruise in September and found it to be exactly what we wanted from a cabin. Great placement, good size, huge balcony, aft view, and a real walk in shower!! Disappointed it'll be gone, but taking the upgrade. 

The big whoop WW?  This is from someone (you) who comments “you don’t need a balcony since the ship is your balcony” ...unless you have stayed in an aft cabin, please take a pass at commenting on this subject and you will still have 15, 571 posts ..we are in the same situation as others here who booked early and paid way in advance for that specific cabin...things happen and we are still happily sailing on the PG this year..just somewhere else on the shipment!  

• Haha 1

Understand some love to cruise in aft cabins. Have heard complaints about noise from disco above, also soot and cigarette smoke. Me? I miss the old connoisseur club which used to be in this space. 

• Like 1

Sadly, no hot tubs will be added. It's the one thing I wish were added to the ship.

Here's the dry dock lowdown from corporate:

Overview

During The Gauguin’s two-week drydock, refurbishments in the ship’s public areas, staterooms, and suites will take place along with regular ship maintenance.

Ship Refurbishments

• New furniture
  • Refurbishments of the staterooms and suites
  • Modifications/refurbishment of the public spaces
  • Environmental upgrades including advanced water treatment and energy efficiency systems
  • Steel work
  • Deck and engine upgrades
  • General preventative maintenance
  • Equipment replacement

We were in aft cabin 765 a few years ago...zero noise day or night from la palette...zero cig smoke and zero soot...I will miss the serenity of the aft cabins more than having a cigar lounge, or now two 20k suites.  If you have never cruised in an aft cabin, you have no idea..pengawin:  thanks for the update on dry dock improvements

EA1446EC-A55C-451D-82AD-6338C53B115E.jpeg

Edited by Larro9
Add
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Larro9 said:

We were in aft cabin 765 a few years ago...zero noise day or night from la palette...zero cig smoke and zero soot...I will miss the serenity of the aft cabins more than having a cigar lounge, or now two 20k suites.  If you have never cruised in an aft cabin, you have no idea..pengawin:  thanks for the update on dry dock improvements

EA1446EC-A55C-451D-82AD-6338C53B115E.jpeg

I'm with you, larro9! I was really looking forward to cabin 767 for my big 60th birthday cruise!!☹ I still feel PG should throw in some OBC too. Or a laundry package! For all our disappointment. 

Again, a butler is not a perk I wanted or need.