Silhouette Revolution Drydock

dgraham

Celebrity knows the renovation and travel to and from Spain will not be done on 01/31/2020. They cancelled the 2/2/20 12 night cruise, rescheduled a 14 day cruise leaving 1/31/20, but later cancelled that. Then they announced a 3 day cruise for 02/11/20, which was also cancelled.

So the first cruise after renovations is presently 2/14/20, which we are on as well as the 2/23/20 cruise.

Hal

Thanks. So it appears that the Silhouette after leaving Florida on Jan 3, will only be in actual dry dock for about 3 1/2 weeks, and then work will continue onboard until its first scheduled cruise on Feb 14

And thanks for the further details HS2BS. I hope you will write a review after your B2B on the newly revolutionized Silhouette

Edited by dgraham
Additional sentences

Thanks Esprit. So in the future (2021) when we are dining in the Lawn Club Grill, we can be entertained by the movie playing across the lawn from us. I think I might enjoy that. And best wishes to your SIL.

I am hopeful that the work they do doing the dry dock will fix the situation with the Suites that are under the dining room.  Our last cruise on Silhouette was made a lot less enjoyable by being woken up by the sound of carts being rolled across the follow directly above us. 

I think we and five or six others in those 212x Sky Suites complained and received FCC from the cruise line.  It was nice of them to do that but I am waiting to hear if the issue was fixed or not before booking another Sky Suite on a Solstice class vessel.  

We are on Edge, first time, next month, and on Millennium in March of 2021 so there is time before we need to make a decision. 

1 hour ago, HS2BS said:

Celebrity knows the renovation and travel to and from Spain will not be done on 01/31/2020. They cancelled the 2/2/20 12 night cruise, rescheduled a 14 day cruise leaving 1/31/20, but later cancelled that. Then they announced a 3 day cruise for 02/11/20, which was also cancelled.

So the first cruise after renovations is presently 2/14/20, which we are on as well as the 2/23/20 cruise.

Hal

There was a Jan 24 (9 night) sailing that was cancelled as well when the Feb 2 cruise was cancelled.

Edited by mahdnc

23 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am hopeful that the work they do doing the dry dock will fix the situation with the Suites that are under the dining room.  Our last cruise on Silhouette was made a lot less enjoyable by being woken up by the sound of carts being rolled across the follow directly above us. 

I think we and five or six others in those 212x Sky Suites complained and received FCC from the cruise line.  It was nice of them to do that but I am waiting to hear if the issue was fixed or not before booking another Sky Suite on a Solstice class vessel.  

We are on Edge, first time, next month, and on Millennium in March of 2021 so there is time before we need to make a decision. 

We just booked a Sky Suite (S2) on Solstice and we took one of the S2's on Deck 11 and stayed away from the S2's that are on Deck 12 out of concern for the reason you cited. 

I am not sure that this can be remedied during the drydock. 

• Like 1

The Michael’s Clue Concierge at the time said that was a consistent issue with those cabins and that she believe they had plans to add some additional soundproofing to address the situation during dry dock.  I always look for the Suites on Deck 11 but have not lucked out so far.  Father forward and aft it is not a problem that I am aware of, just those five or six cabins in that are on the port side.  

Will keep and eye and ear out to see what reports come in. 

I’ve heard in the past that staff stay on the ship to help with the dry dock. Just wonder if this is true, ie will Cruise Director Sue  Denning be onboard as her contract is usually 4 months, but she has not quite completed 2 months.

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Not sure what your expectation is but I would expect it to be the same as the other ships that have gone through revolution.   The Sky Suites remain in the same location and you will probably still hear the carts rolling overhead.  Would really recommend researching in advance and find one in an area non-susceptible to scraping chairs or carts.

Curious to understand how anyone would think this could be fixed.   From experiencing some of the Revolutionized ships most of the mods was just finishes not modification of the structure.   The main structural changes will be adding the Retreat Sun Deck, refinish all of the state room and furnishings.

If you go to https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-silhouette#deck-plan 

there is a button to switch back and forth between current deck plans and after revolution -   The Ocean View Cafe looks to be almost identical `````

Pre Revolution

image.png.6dd10e12f5b649f46fc53b0540fb9d4c.png

After Revolution

image.png.7783f8d7bb937ed51a819c89d5c40b1b.png

If you line up the stairways most of the Sky Suites are beneath the kitchen and serving areas prone to carts moving around. 

image.png.ae5af0a0cdafddbbbe13c27e422d204d.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

Jim_liam   If I remember my discussion correctly, I believe the intent was sound proofing insulation or materials in the overheads of the cabins or on the floor of the service area.  Not sure but was just hopeful they would be doing something. 

53 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim_liam   If I remember my discussion correctly, I believe the intent was sound proofing insulation or materials in the overheads of the cabins or on the floor of the service area.  Not sure but was just hopeful they would be doing something. 

I hadn't heard that but I had an AQ on an M-Class on Summit after revolution and the sounds from the pool deck were still coming through.  

I had not read of the sound proofing but it would really be nice if they could dampen it. 

10 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I’ve heard in the past that staff stay on the ship to help with the dry dock. Just wonder if this is true, ie will Cruise Director Sue  Denning be onboard as her contract is usually 4 months, but she has not quite completed 2 months.

When my DD was Activities Manager she did a couple of dry dock stay overs. She and her team were on fire watch while the contractors worked with sparks flying everywhere.

At the end of a Millennium dry dock the captain, officers and crew had their picture taken with the shiny new propellers in the back ground. She has another standing under the hull pretending to hold the ship up. Pretty cool eh!

• Like 2

Silly Is scheduled to depart PE at 20:00.  That's a unique time.  I assume they are loading her with materials they can use while in transit to Cadiz.  She and Reflection are both on the webcam.  I can't remember seeing two S class ships docked at PE, although I'm sure it's happened plenty.

17 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We were on Silhouette a few weeks ago and were told by several staff members that some take vacations while others stay on board to provide various services, like the fire watch Esprit mentioned. Others are needed to prepare and serve food to those doing the work and provide other services required. I didn't get a sense as to how many of the crew stayed on board, nor do I recall Sue mentioning if she would stay on or not.

8 minutes ago, colliercruiser said:

Isn't clear if the entire lawn area will be gone or just the bocce area on both sides of the Sunset Bar.

image.png.88690e4e92da99451eed43f575c83060.png

For movie viewing it seems that the main lawn area should be left.  On equinox, everyone sat on the lawn and they provided blankets and soft, low rocker like chairs.  I know they didn't do the full upgrade to equinox.  If they take away the lawn there, they would have to put something soft down or provide lots of seating.