America's Test Kitchen

venice07

Has anyone attended America's Test Kitchen demonstrations?  Is there a promo code given out at these events to access ATK's website and content?

I really enjoyed the classes on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, but I can't recall being given complimentary access - maybe I should have paid better attention!

We attended America's Test Kitchen on the Amsterdam a couple of years ago when it first started.  We also attended it last month on the Westerdam.  The new program is completely different from the original.  On the Amsterdam, we broke up into groups of four and each group actually made one of the dishes in the kitchen, from preparing the ingredients to cooking it.  While we didn't eat what we made, we adjourned to the Pinnacle Grill and got to eat those same recipes prepared by the ship's cooks, along with free red or white wine.  The instructor had great stories of her experiences cooking for some Hollywood stars.  It was a great time.  On the Westerdam we sat in an audience and watched the presenter make a small portion of the dishes.  She had a tv camera on her so we could see a close-up of what she was doing on the screen.  No audience participation.  We were then given an apron and thanked for attending.  I am very disappointed at what the program has become.

I can well understand your disappointment!  The two sessions I attended (2018 and 2019) were held in the BB King's Blues Club venue. Camera work was spotty to put it mildly.  No aprons given out at the events but handouts were made available (recipes that had been featured for the demonstration).  I asked the chef at the end of the presentation what happened to the food she prepared -- she informed me it all had to be thrown out!  Not even ship's crew could consume this food.  Something to do with Food and Drug Admin rules, if I remember correctly.  What a terrible waste!!

Nine years ago, I was on Oceania's Marina and signed up for two cooking classes in the culinary school onboard.

Amazing experience!  We were assigned to our own cooking station with sink and grill and all the tools needed.

Truly "hands on".  Everyone in the class enjoyed the dish they had just made and the Chef poured everyone a glass of wine.

I think things are changing in regards to ATK. Like some of you I attended and participated in hands on cooking where we prepared the food but didn't get to eat it.  Then went into PG and ate a lovely lunch that followed the menu we worked on with wine that was prepared in one of the kitchens. Got an apron...

A few years  ago on the Koningsdam  we went to the area that is now Club Orange and I had my own station set up with pans, knifes, ingredients  etc.  Some worked together (two to a station).  The chef/presenter was in the open cooking area and we followed along with him and our recipe cards we cooked our own meal.  .  After done cooking our own food that only we had touched.... we then took it over to a seating area and ate the food that we as individuals/partners cooked.  We were given our aprons at the beginning of the session.  This was an additional $$.

Fast forward, ATK was now the culinary venue onboard on our next cruise.  IF you chose to take the private class for an additional cost it was not hands on as one knew it.  Health regulations etc.   Both the classes were cancelled, one due to lack of participation ( port day) the second for rough seas (sea day). This is when you have gotten a red ATK apron...

Daily demos were done and were very well attended with standing room only.  You were given handouts at the beginning of demo, nice card stock with protective like cover.  No tasting by anyone including the chef, during the Q and A we found out all the food is thrown away...NO ONE can eat the food.   Cooks Illustrated Magazine was also available for free.  The chef followed a format designed by ATK. No aprons given, you received the recipe cards and the magazine.

We are cruising in Feb. and if I look at what's available on the ship ATK is gone.  I'm sure they will fill this spot with another culinary demo of sorts, I would like to see cooking from the regions we will be visiting with a focus on the spices etc. Will find out soon, 

Edited by ZSandy25

I attended ATK aboard the Nieuw Statendam this June.  It was VERY well attended.  For whatever reason, they were scheduled at times that conflicted with other major events, so I rarely got to attend them in their entirety, although I did enjoy them and found them entertaining.  I did miss the samples, I used to look forward to that.  On a couple of demos, they were tapering down the recipe cards and told us to go online to get them.  Here is a website where you can find the recipes given during the demos: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/guides/america-s-test-kitchen-onboard-holland-america-line

Happy Sailing!

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

America's Test Kitchen (ATK) is on its way out with HAL. Time will tell if they will go back to the Culinary Arts Center (CAC) which it was prior to ATK

The 5* Mariner Demonstration last month on the Volendam was a disappointment.  Nothing special as far as interaction with the presenter.  It was just a regular show that would have been open to all, but this demo (pasta making) was just for 5*.  It was poorly attended given that 1/2 the people on board the Amazon Explorer were 5*.  I now have 4 aprons...have been giving them away.

I remember the paid cooking classes in the culinary arts center you had to sign up for...lots of fun.

Karen

• Like 1

Hi venice07,

I already posted this to the other thread that you posted in December about the same topic. There was no code given at the demos in December on NA, you just go to the link  below and can sign up for two months free access. They do ask for a credit card so they can start billing you after 60 days. You need to cancel it before the 60 days are up or you will be billed.

“We were on the NIeuw Amsterdam Dec 7-14 cruise, and I went to several of the America’s Test Kitchen cooking demos. I think they were held on each sea day and also on an unexpected sea day when we couldn’t dock at Grand Turk. I found them entertaining and informative. They were held in the BB King club, but it seemed to be a full kitchen set up on the stage.  The chef was quite good and they also played short video snippets from the show to supplement the talk. The chef did explain there would be no sampling of the dishes since it wasn’t a proper cooking facility. There was no mention that this would be discontinued on HAL; I hope they do continue.

The chef Cassandra mentioned that if you go to

www.americastestkitchen.com/onboard

you can get access to all the recipes made on-board HAL by ATK, plus free 2 months of access to ATK’s online cooking school if you signup.

Good luck!“

Thank you Cool Cruiser!  The link you provided is much appreciated 😊

The sessions I attended (Eurodam 2018 and Nieuw Amsterdam 2019) were standing room only.

I quickly realized if I wanted a seat, I had to arrive half an hour before ATK started.

Cooks Illustrated hand outs had many valuable tips I have incorporated.  The recipe cards have come in handy as well.

P.S. I see you are in Ottawa - the city I was born in.  I have resided in Vancouver for the past 40 years...

I was on the Eurodam in January and the ATK presenter told us that Holland was ending their relationship and moving toward a program that would concentrate on recipes and food preparation for the various ports they visit and that they would use some of these in the MDR.  The presenter was very excited about it.  

21 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

America's Test Kitchen (ATK) is on its way out with HAL. Time will tell if they will go back to the Culinary Arts Center (CAC) which it was prior to ATK

I'm glad to hear the ATK is on the way out, very boring to sit and watch someone cook. The Culinary Arts Center was hands on and going to the Pinnacle for lunch was fun and we got to share a meal. I felt that I actually learned something new.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the cooking demonstrations on sea days on the Zuiderdam last fall, and recent post-drydock pics of the ship show that ATK is still happening in BB Kings on that ship.  

There were plenty of recipe cards available, and I used one recipe for our family's Christmas Eve dinner.  I love making a taco/fajita bar for the holidays because it is so informal and lots of red/green colors (tomatoes, avocado, peppers).  But I always felt that my chicken fajitas were a bit dry.  So I used their chicken taco recipe, and since it is in a (not too spicy) sauce, it stayed moist through second and third helpings.  

• Like 1

Does anyone know if ATK is still available on the Koningsdam?  We are sailing in March.  If still available is it just the free demos or the demos and hands-on-class that you pay to attend.  I have enjoyed the previous hands-on-classes (chocolate cake, pasta and eggs) that I have attended in the past.

5 minutes ago, scrappytraveler said:

Does anyone know if ATK is still available on the Koningsdam?  We are sailing in March.  If still available is it just the free demos or the demos and hands-on-class that you pay to attend.  I have enjoyed the previous hands-on-classes (chocolate cake, pasta and eggs) that I have attended in the past.

The ATK kitchen on the K'dam is now the Club Orange dining venue. The only ATK events were demos in the main showroom, nothing hands-on.

On 1/3/2020 at 7:05 PM, Copper10-8 said:

I would love to see a return to the Culinary Arts Center kind of cooking program. HAL needs to do more for itself and stop tying in to every trendy "name" they can grab onto.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 12:00 AM, USN59-79 said:

We attended America's Test Kitchen on the Amsterdam a couple of years ago when it first started.  We also attended it last month on the Westerdam.  The new program is completely different from the original.  On the Amsterdam, we broke up into groups of four and each group actually made one of the dishes in the kitchen, from preparing the ingredients to cooking it.  While we didn't eat what we made, we adjourned to the Pinnacle Grill and got to eat those same recipes prepared by the ship's cooks, along with free red or white wine.  The instructor had great stories of her experiences cooking for some Hollywood stars.  It was a great time.  On the Westerdam we sat in an audience and watched the presenter make a small portion of the dishes.  She had a tv camera on her so we could see a close-up of what she was doing on the screen.  No audience participation.  We were then given an apron and thanked for attending.  I am very disappointed at what the program has become.

Was she the woman who had been the "house chef" for the American Pork Council for a while? I did a cooking class with her and she was very interesting. It sounds like your class was Culinary Arts Center, pre-ATK. 

12 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Was she the woman who had been the "house chef" for the American Pork Council for a while? I did a cooking class with her and she was very interesting. It sounds like your class was Culinary Arts Center, pre-ATK. 

Not sure about the house chef thing, but she talked about going to the star's homes and cooking a special meal for them and a lot of guests.  She mentioned how the star complimented her for providing such beautiful dishes and glassware for the party.  Apparently the star didn't recognize her own tableware.