Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

8 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Trivia (we missed all of these and a couple more!)

1.garlic

2.Ghana

3.Al Capone

4.Democratic Republic of Congo

5.dahlia

6.chlorine

7.butter tarts

I got three of those (1, 6, 7) and I know all the Canadians had to have gotten the last one!

I love the red, white, and blue blanket on the right.  You are very talented!

Enjoying your reports.  Thanks for taking us along!  You didn’t hear of any robberies or injuries in Belem?  We were on the Amazon Explorer on  Volendam in December when there were a number of incidences in Belem.  We also had an issue with long tender waits for local tenders and some guests delayed at sea after dark for some time on the return.  Think all were ok but some tense moments.😅

3 hours ago, lizinvan said:

Enjoying your reports.  Thanks for taking us along!  You didn’t hear of any robberies or injuries in Belem?  We were on the Amazon Explorer on  Volendam in December when there were a number of incidences in Belem.  We also had an issue with long tender waits for local tenders and some guests delayed at sea after dark for some time on the return.  Think all were ok but some tense moments.😅

I did not hear of any in Belem (although that doesn't mean there wasn't any thefts) but I did hear of a couple in Recife as well as an injury..

• Like 1

January 21, 2020

At Sea

Bonnie, Judy Lee, Judy Bob, and I were at Sit and Stitch.  I left around 11:30 for another dismal trivia game.  We had 6 out of 15 and the winners had 10.

1.What does “vodka” translate to in English?

2.Phnom Penh is the capital of what country?

3.What boxer said he should be a postage stamp because that is the only way he could be licked?

4.Which river forms a boundary between France and Germany?

5.Who was the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup?

6.According to the prologue, where do Romeo and Juliet take their lives?

Some work on my Linus blanket before lunch and then had Indian food for lunch.  In Arts & Crafts we started on a necklace.  I will post a picture when it is done.

Joined Sherita and her friend Karen (who once lived nearby in Fredericksburg, VA) before trivia.  She played along with our regulars.  Our performance was better than this morning but that is not saying much.  We had 8 out of 15 and the winners had 13.

1.What do you add to Kahlua to make a Black Russian?

2.Which planet circles the sun in 84 (Earth) years?

3.What is the most common bone fractured?

4.Which personal grooming product was once marketed as a floor cleaner?

5.Which two oceans meet at the Cape of Good Hope?

6.What is the capital of Dominica?

7.What is the name for a group of ravens?

After trivia I swam for an hour.  Towards the end, I started to feel queasy.  I’m blaming it on having had two margaritas during happy hour in the Crow’s Nest.  I almost did not go to dinner but pulled myself together and went.  Billy suggested some mint tea and it made me feel better.  I skipped the show in hopes of going to bed early.

Morning trivia

1.water

2.Cambodia

3.Muhammed Ali

4.Rhine

5.Michelle Paine

6.Verona

Afternoon trivia

1.vodka

2.Uranus

3.clavicle

4.Listerine (yuck!)

5.Atlantic and the Indian

6.Roseau

7.an unkindness or a congress

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 2

Kathi!!!!!!!

I got morning trivia #1,2,3,4, and 6!

Afternoon trivia #1,3 and 4! # 4 I knew because I am a retired DDS! Listerine Is nasty!  Thanks for what you do for the children with your beautiful blankets!! Such giving to a wonderful cause!

God bless you for that Kathi!

Denise😊

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nvdreamer said:

I might have missed it but did your friend get a different room?  Loving your posts thank you for taking us with you again

Yes, she did.  It is down the hall from me on deck one.  She is so happy!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Kathi!!!!!!!

I got morning trivia #1,2,3,4, and 6!

Afternoon trivia #1,3 and 4! # 4 I knew because I am a retired DDS! Listerine Is nasty!  

Denise😊

Congratulations!  Would you like to jump on board and help us?

I have always thought Listerine is nasty but it is nice to hear a dentist say so!  

January 22, 2020

At Sea

My morning started with Sit and Stitch (Bonnie, Sherita, Judy Lee and Judy Bob present).  As usual, I left around 11:30 for trivia.  Another poor showing with only 8 out of 15.  The winners had 11.

1.Alba is the Gaelic name for what country?

2.”Dazzle” is the name for a group of what animals?

3.What does the “E” in Chuck E. Cheese stand for?

4.What is the only Canadian province with no natural border?

5.”Across the River and Through the Woods” was written by which author?

6.Who recorded the one-hit wonder “Pass the Dutchie” in 1982?

7.Who famously said, “When in doubt, tell the truth”?

After working on my Linus project and having lunch in the Lido, it was time for Arts & Crafts.  Nancy had cleaned out her bead stash and put together packets for each of us to make a unique necklace.  Everyone put theirs together the way they liked so even if you had the same beads as someone else (and I am not sure anyone did), they were all different.  The necklace making took some time so I only had a chance to drop off my knitting and then go to afternoon trivia.

We actually had too many players because Karen and Mary joined us.  Rodney was a gentleman and played with another team.  We did better than we had been doing with 16 out of 21 but the winners had 19.

1.What was the last Beatles album?

2.What Cookie Monster three-word phrase made it into Bartlett’s Quotations?

3.What is the geographic term for a ring-shaped coral island?

4.What color did Japan’s royal family start staining their teeth in a 1233 fashion statement?

5.What Saudi city is the birthplace of Muhammad?

6.”Taco” was the high school nickname of which female golfer?

7.What is the title for the Canadian head of state?

I spent most of my free time in the afternoon doing research for my yarn expeditions over the next three days.  The main yarn shopping will be in Buenos Aires on Friday where the yarn is so inexpensive it would be a crime not to buy some!  On Thursday and Saturday we will be in Uruguayan ports.  There is a company called Manos del Uruguay that produces the most beautiful yarn.  They have shops in the two ports we have but it is hard to tell from their websites whether they have yarn or only finished products.  Both of the stores are close enough to walk to and see what they have so I was checking out maps to find the best way to go.

We will be having our second Cruise Critic Meet and Greet on Sunday so I went by Guest Services to confirm the information. 

Last year the jewelry shop on board was selling a Pandora-style charm bracelet.  I resisted then but broke down today and bought it.  They will be selling additional charms (it came with five) on port days which I may or may not buy.

Bob and Judy (known as “Judy Bob” in knitting group) invited me to join them at their table tonight.  They have a table for four and like to invite others to join them.  They also asked another Cruise Critic friend, Susan, to join as her tablemates are on an overland excursion.  We laughed a lot.

I skipped the show because I have to get up early tomorrow.  We are in port from 7 to 2:30 and it is a tender port so I will need to get a tender ticket, wait for my number to be called, and it is a rather long tender ride so I need to get going by 8 am.

Morning trivia

1.Scotland

2.zebras

3.entertainment

4.Saskatchewan

5.Hemingway

6.Musical Youth (don’t feel bad if you got that wrong, so did everybody playing)

7.Mark Twain

Afternoon trivia

1.Abbey Road

2.Me want cookie

3.atoll

4.black

5.Nancy Lopez

6.Prime Minister

7.Director

• Like 1

Geez, I am going crazy with the trivia.

7 should have read, "What is the title of the Canadian head of government?"

The answer to 5 should have been Mecca and Nancy Lopez the answer to 6.

The "director" answer was to a question I did not ask.

I will try to do better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

January 23, 2020

Punta del Este, Uruguay

Today just did not go as planned.  First of all, I woke up 40 minutes before the alarm after having this dream (nightmare?) that I had agreed to teach one more year.  In the dream, I kept asking myself why I had done it since it meant I could not cruise.

Due to getting up earlier, I went to get my tender ticket just before 8 and was told it would be about 10 minutes before my color and number would be called.  That worked out to be accurate and we were on the tender at about 8:10.  The tender only took about 15 minutes to arrive at the dock (we had been told about 30 minutes) but a few more to unload.  I was off and walking towards town by 8:30.  Or so I thought.

When the port talk was given, we were told we were tendering to one location so I had figured out the directions from there.  Turns out we went to the other tender pier at the marina and my work was useless.

We had been given maps as we left the pier and I usually have a fairly good sense of direction – which totally abandoned me today.  Part of the problem was that some corners had no street signs and others only had the street I was on, not the cross street.  So, I could walk 2 blocks before I realized I was going the wrong way.  To make a long story short, it took me almost 40 minutes to get on the right street and I had been close to giving up when I finally found it. 

I had three goals – 1) find the Manos del Uruguay shop (they make beautiful yarn),  2) find a plastic pitcher in which I could make iced tea to keep in my cabin (the iced tea onboard is made from concentrate and is horrible), and 3) go to the public square where there were supposed to be crafts being sold.

Since I was coming from a totally different direction, I found the square first.  It was deserted – so no crafts.  I continued walking down the main shopping street and came upon the Manos del Uruguay shop – which did not open until 10.  Looking in the window, though, I could see they only had finished items – no yarn.  As I turned around I saw I was close to “The Hand” which I was going to find if I had the time, and the energy, so I went across to the beach and took some pictures.

I found a couple more stores that might have the pitcher I was looking for.  I found one but it was too big to fit into my fridge.  By the time I started back the Manos store was open and I confirmed they did not have yarn.  I slowly walked back and when I passed the square it was still empty. 

Three hours after I started, I returned to the tender pier.  I had walked almost four miles (according to the calculations I made on Google Earth when I returned).

I changed into my swimsuit and went to the Lido for lunch.  I sat in the sun for about 30 minutes before getting in the pool.  I had done not quite half of my laps when I started getting leg cramps.  At one point the muscles in both legs were cramped up.  Finally, I gave up on my laps for the day although I did get 45 minutes in the pool.

I read some e-mails and did some research on Montevideo (where I am still hoping to find Manos del Uruguay yarn) before heading to trivia.  Instead of having too many players like yesterday, we only had four.  We ended with 14 out of 23 and the winners had 19.

1.How many Liberty Bells have there been?

2.How many LPs need to be sold for an album to go platinum?

3.What was the first of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World to be built?

4.What embarrassing single hole score in golf is known as a snowman?

5.What well-known company is the largest user of silver?

6.What was the brand of the first instant coffee which came out in 1950?

7.What two European languages does James Bond speak?

8.Which island country is the only member of NATO without a standing army?

9.Which sitcom character did People magazine dub the first Cold War kid?

I ate at my other table tonight because it was “Game Night”.  There were 15 players and we played three games.  In the first we were read the lyrics to a song and had to give the name of it.  The second game had two players with their backs to the screen and we had to give clues to the phrase that went with the picture, and in the third, one of the team had to sing a song only using la-la-la lyrics and we had to guess the song.

Buenos Aires tomorrow (and it is supposed to be 90F!)

Trivia

2.1 million

3.Pyramids of Giza

5.Kodak

6.Maxwell House

7.German and French

8.Iceland

9.Beaver Cleaver

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Kathi your charm bracelet was meant to be👍 What were the odds that it would be

there again? Was it pandora? 
Trivia got # 1,2,3! and the afternoon #1,2,4!

good luck on your tender! Hope you get some great 🧶 yarn!

Denise😊

The bracelet is like a Pandora but not an actual one (and not as expensive as a real one!).

• Like 2