Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

13 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Believe it or not, the only passengers that are being helped are the ones that bought flights thru HAL.  All independent and all of us that didn’t have flights are completely on our own.  NO help at all although they will reimburse us for $1,250/pp for airfare.  No use for me as I don’t fly so I guess I’ll spend some time in Australia.

Linda R.

Definitely disappointed in HAL's response to the independent travelers that did not book air through them.  This is not like a seven day cruise that got delayed by hurricane before it could return to the home port until a few days later past the original disembarkation date/time.

This is half way around the world.  I would think they should be helping.

I have only taken one HAL cruise about 10 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it even if I am in a younger demographic than most HAL cruisers.  So can't be considered a HAL loyalist.

HAL is helping as best they can, on board. They have supplied several telephones on and near the fro t desk and are letting people use them free of charge to call their travel agents or airlines to arrange their air travel.

They’ve also set up extra computers in the classroom so people can use them (assuming decent internet which is spotty).

Crew members such as the shore excursion staff are also individually helping some passengers feed who are having difficulties navigating their way to make travel arrangements.

I think the offer from HAL is very fair. It’s not HAL’s fault any of this happened. I don’t blame them and I think, under the circumstances, they are stepping up and doing the very best that they can.

Our staff and crew are working under extraordinary conditions right now and I have nothing but praise for them.

As for Miss Dolly, my understanding is that she does NOT live on the ship full time. She goes home for a few months each year. Her stuff may be on the ship full time, however.

Adventures aren’t always all fun and games (trivia!!). They sometimes are scary and unknown. And trying, and like a good pitcher throwing us curveballs. But we are travelers! Not tourists!

Let’s all stay positive!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

HAL is helping as best they can, on board. They have supplied several telephones on and near the fro t desk and are letting people use them free of charge to call their travel agents or airlines to arrange their air travel.

They’ve also set up extra computers in the classroom so people can use them (assuming decent internet which is spotty).

Crew members such as the shore excursion staff are also individually helping some passengers feed who are having difficulties navigating their way to make travel arrangements.

I think the offer from HAL is very fair. It’s not HAL’s fault any of this happened. I don’t blame them and I think, under the circumstances, they are stepping up and doing the very best that they can.

Our staff and crew are working under extraordinary conditions right now and I have nothing but praise for them.

As for Miss Dolly, my understanding is that she does NOT live on the ship full time. She goes home for a few months each year. Her stuff may be on the ship full time, however.

Adventures aren’t always all fun and games (trivia!!). They sometimes are scary and unknown. And trying, and like a good pitcher throwing us curveballs. But we are travelers! Not tourists!

• Like 2

Sherita, from the number of times you've posted that I'm guessing the internet is a real challenge at the moment.  I think all the cruise lines are doing the best they can.  I've been at my hotel for 2 days and have not yet heard from Cunard who is supposed to be arranging my flight home.  Very challenging times.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

Roy, I am surprised you aren’t on a flight home yet. Has Cunard at least been in touch with you so you know you haven’t fallen through the cracks?

They have not but I think they're quite swamped.  A cruiser who showed up to board in Fremantle just got his flights yesterday.  I am authorized in the hotel for 2 more nights and I'll try sending the customer care line a teaser.

Roy

• Like 2

One thing to remember when trying to contact HAL is that they are in Seattle, which has been hit pretty badly by the virus.   Social separation is the least of the problems, when the Mayor and Governor are telling people to work/stay at home, and the schools are closed, the number of people to answer the phones are probably depleted.     

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sunshine 229 said:

I think a lot of us have become used to expecting travel to be safe but maybe we should think of it instead as an adventure and question if we are really up for it.

I agree that many passengers assume all will go well. Fortunately, it usually does. This is an extreme situation and I think it will be a wake-up call and make people re-evaluate how far they want to travel. Everyone's tolerance for "ship happens" is different. 

Kathi, you are dealing with this "ship happens" very well. Brava!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

Sherita, thinking of you and wishing you Godspeed and safe travels til you’re back with your grandkids agin. I’m sure you can’t wait to give them a big hug. Think of the stories you have for them (and us). Before long hopefully and no doubt you’ll be back to adventuring again. 

Andrea

On 3/16/2020 at 4:40 PM, USN59-79 said:

Why would her passengers be "sent home"?  The World is their home.

Update on The World, currently in Freemantle, Western Australia from Cruise Industry News:

The World, Residence Ship, Also Lays Up

March 17, 2020

The World, Residences at Sea, the world's only residential cruise ship, has been taken out of service with immediate effect from March 17 to approximately May 30 2020.

According to a statement, the company said that all residents and guests has disembarked and crew manning will be reduced to a minimum staff. 

The vessel is privately owned and home to approximately 150 families from 19 countries and has an average resident and guest occupancy of 150 to 200 people. 

"This decision was not an easy one, however protecting the health and safety of our residents, guests and crew is our number one priority. We will continue to remain aggressive in our proactive approach and in maintaining our high standards," the statement said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndreaB said:

Sherita, thinking of you and wishing you Godspeed and safe travels til you’re back with your grandkids again. I’m sure you can’t wait to give them a big hug. Think of the stories you have for them (and us). Before long hopefully and no doubt you’ll be back to adventuring again.

Andrea

Sadly, it is not hugs right now.  It is distant waves or elbow bumps.  Our Sunday lunch grace was with four sets of touching elbows, instead of holding hands.   

Babysitting grandchildren is on hold.  Our children insist on protecting us.

Barbara 

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AndreaB said:

Sherita, thinking of you and wishing you Godspeed and safe travels til you’re back with your grandkids agin. I’m sure you can’t wait to give them a big hug. Think of the stories you have for them (and us). Before long hopefully and no doubt you’ll be back to adventuring again. 

Andrea

Thanks Andrea. Miss you, girl! Our 30 minutes begins now.....

Thankfully, the Captain announced this morning that HAL will make flight arrangements for anyone that wants it.  There’s a form to fill out and hand in.  That will be a huge help to the many people going crazy trying to book flights.  They aren’t  paying for them (above the $1,225 approx to be reimbursed, I don’t remember amount exactly) though but there is a lot of relief onboard now.

For me, I’ve calmed down a little bit and getting resigned to the fact that we will become temporary Aussies for a while!  My blog will definitely be taking a different track from its normal, that’s for sure.

Linda R.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

They have not but I think they're quite swamped.  A cruiser who showed up to board in Fremantle just got his flights yesterday.  I am authorized in the hotel for 2 more nights and I'll try sending the customer care line a teaser.

Roy

Roy, You are too polite and patient.  Time for the squeaky wheel!  There is no excuse for someone from Cunard (or the ship) not being in touch with you.  Virgin has just cancelled all international flights, so I understand flights from Perth to US will be hard to get.  Would be nice to know someone has your back and is working on getting flights home for you. 

MMDown Under, I don't really understand why this is such bad publicity for Cunard, or any cruise line for that matter. I'm sure that everyone is working as hard as they can to take care of their passengers. Businesses all over the world have been affected by orders from their governments to shut down or limit the number of staff working in their offices. Not every company is set up to switch quickly to remote working. NO ONE is responsible for this mess the world finds itself dealing with.

Also, as the airlines drastically cut their flight schedules, especially international flights, I would imagine it has been extremely difficult to even find flights within Australia, let alone out of Australia back to the US or other international destinations. Even within the US, flight schedules have been cut down to bare bones levels. I imagine it's difficult to put together any type of smooth flight connection schedule without hours or even a day or so between trip legs.

At least Cunard, and I'm sure HAL, have been able to make arrangements for their clients to stay in hotels while they make travel arrangements for flights out of Australia.

Instead of people being the "squeaky wheel" and interfering with the work of those trying to help them, it's time for a GREAT DEAL of patience. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the cruise line passengers end up having to stay in Australia for a couple of weeks, perhaps even more, before they are able to head home. I would hope that Australian immigration officials would be understanding in that regard.

When I saw that some passengers on the Amsterdam were being rude and threatening to staff on board and canceling future HAL cruises in retaliation for not being able to get their way, I was extremely disappointed but not surprised. Sadly, many people have become so self centered that they don't care how their actions impact others as long as they get their way. They forget that the staff members on the ship have their own personal things to worry about with their own families who are perhaps thousands of miles away from them. They are people trying to help others, not personal servants.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1