Daniel's sloths monkey snorkeling?

kuku77254

Has anyone done the snorkeling on Daniels tour? We definitely want to hold sloths and snorkel but I've only found a few reviews mentioning the snorkeling portion. I have a 7 year old so I don't really want to snorkel from the beach (keeping an eye on how far out we get) but we want to see some pretty fish. Anyone done it?

2 hours ago, rubytue said:

I’m doing it in 3 weeks.

what are your questions and I’ll try to get answers.

That would be great if you report back after your trip.  I really just want to know how the snorkeling is where they take you. Can you actually see interesting/pretty fish there? Thanks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bahacca said:

I'd love to know as well. We plan to also snorkel in Cozumel. Wondering if it is worth snorkeling here too.

Depending on where they take you, snorkeling in Roatan beats even Money Bar or Sky Reef in Coz.

I think they take you to somewhere on the eastern end of the island close to Daniel's, but not Little French Key. If you request, they'll take you to West Bay where snorkeling from shore is good. Might be an extra charge.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We just did this tour and had a great time. They take you out right from the property. We went a little past the Fantasy Island resort and then entered the water with the guide. I'm not an experienced snorkeler, a decent swimmer. The guide, Alex set an easy pace and pointed out lots of sights to us. We saw blue tang, a barracuda, sergeant fish, and many more. I would guess that we were in the water for 45 minutes or so, but I'm really not sure The boat (captained by Daniel) was never very far away either. The people at the Hangout were all very nice, it was our favorite excursion on that cruise.  

Edited by Mutumbojimbo
Added varieties of fish

I’m wondering about the quality of the snorkel portion with the sloth hangout. We have a diverse group, with a few really interested in interacting with sloths, and a few (me included), who could not care less about sloths, and instead want to snorkel and see a good variety of marine life and big, healthy coral. Anyone snorkeled from shore at west bay and done the sloth hangout snorkel tour and can compare? Any info about the snorkels would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. - we are experienced snorkelers. Our favorite place was The Indians in the BVIs.

Edited by vinotinto
Providing more info

On 1/4/2020 at 7:53 PM, kuku77254 said:

That would be great if you report back after your trip.  I really just want to know how the snorkeling is where they take you. Can you actually see interesting/pretty fish there? Thanks

We just got back! The monkey/sloth part was cool, but a bit more like a backyard petting zoo that I pictured. In my head, it would have been a more garden-like atmosphere where you wandered through paths to the animal areas. But all the animals seemed well cared for and we really enjoyed it. 

Snorkling left right from a dock at the end of the animal experience. It was only about 3 to 5 minutes on the boat before we got to the snorkel area. The reef was definitely alive and full of fish. Some parrot fish and some really cool blue spotted fish. Also, tons of little jellies. That was fascinating! They didn’t sting, just hundred of little translucent blobs we swam through. 

We we had a group of 7, which was awesome bc we were given our own van driver, Wally. And we were grouped together for the animal experience. Usually it’s just me and my H, so we have to wait for other pairs to fill a van. That said, we had to walk through the streets of Coxen Hole for a few blocks to where his van was parked. But it added to the local flavor 🙂 my friend with us normally doesn’t get off the ship because she likes to have it to herself, so I think it was some culture shock. That was one of the most third world feeling port expieriences as soon as you step out of the gated port.  While I don’t think I would wander around by myself, I didn’t feel unsafe. Just lots of barkers.

• Like 1