Areas to sleep on Horizon

catemo_x

This is an odd question.  My husband and I haven’t cruised together in 2 years and since the last time we cruised, he has developed quite the loud snoring problem 😫 I know I can’t be the the only one with a snoring spouse. So I’m wondering if anyone else has, in a moment of desperation, found somewhere in a public area on Horizon that they could escape to in the middle of the night for a few hours’ sleep?? Also, would this even be ok? Or would staff members ask me to go back to my room?? Honestly I’m hoping it wouldn’t come to this but I need a plan in case I can’t deal with the snoring. Please advise!

Wow, a different question for sure but not odd, lots of people have this situation, probably more common than most would admit.  I'll tell you what I do, perhaps it helps, perhaps not... I sleep on my side with an earplug in the top ear, right ear in my case (CVS green, works great) and a memory foam pillow on the left ear, quite dense that acts as an earplug.  If I get to sleep earlier it helps but not necessary, just get them pointed in the other direction.  If really bad I'll use 2 earplugs but I don't really like doing that as I don't hear anything except my heartbeat which is kinda weird...

I'm not sure about the Horizon but during the day I've found that the shaded area on the deck away from the pool area typically has loungers that are available anytime, could get a few hours of shut eye without too much of an issue - middle of the night, then I don't know, never tried it!!

Good luck, enjoy your cruise.  I've found that cruises have brought us closer together, overall 🙂

• Like 2

I haven't been on the Horizon, but one night on the Miracle I slept in the library😲. I snore and was keeping my sister from sleeping, so I curled up on the couch in the library. A staff member came in at one point and just apologized for bothering me.

I am sure that if you wondered up to the serenity area or found a nice deck chair on an upper deck that the staff wouldn't bother you at all.  They have those nice round bed loungers in the serenity that would be divine to sleep on.  I cannot imagine anyone waking you up and asking you to leave.  You can wonder around at any time night or day so curling up on a lounger wouldn't be any different.  I hope you sleep well!  

Edited by cdm289
  • Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions, all! I definitely have to use earplugs and I’ll probably use some sort of sleep aid medication as well. Like I said, I’m hoping it would never come to me having to decide to sleep elsewhere but it’s nice to know I’ll have options if I just have to 😂 I forgot about the Serenity Deck clamshells, thats a great option. I also had not considered the library. 

side note: if you use noise-cancelling headphones/earbuds, what brand/model do you recommend? A friend of mine has the Bose ones but I’m not in a hurry to spend $250 for something I won’t use often 😳

On 1/3/2020 at 11:07 AM, catemo_x said:

side note: if you use noise-cancelling headphones/earbuds, what brand/model do you recommend? A friend of mine has the Bose ones but I’m not in a hurry to spend $250 for something I won’t use often 😳

My husband is a horrible snorer. I use earplugs that work like a boss. The ones I use are Flents Quiet Time Comfort Foam earplugs. You can get them at Walmart.

Best monthly purchase I ever make. lol

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 6:41 AM, catemo_x said:

This is an odd question.  My husband and I haven’t cruised together in 2 years and since the last time we cruised, he has developed quite the loud snoring problem 😫 I know I can’t be the the only one with a snoring spouse. So I’m wondering if anyone else has, in a moment of desperation, found somewhere in a public area on Horizon that they could escape to in the middle of the night for a few hours’ sleep?? Also, would this even be ok? Or would staff members ask me to go back to my room?? Honestly I’m hoping it wouldn’t come to this but I need a plan in case I can’t deal with the snoring. Please advise!

I have not been on the Horizon however typical places I would choose: Serenity, Because you have said you have a SPA interior you have access to the SPA relaxing waiting room, in previous ships where I have used the SPA there is a waiting room with comfortable couches and I have seen people sleep in there without being bothered, I am unsure if you would have 24 hour access to this but with your room type you will have SPA access. Looking at the deck plans Deck 11 is under shelter which would be perfect to sleep if there was any rain overnight you would not get wet and you would be probably a little warmer. Deck five outside looks comfortable padded sun loungers to sleep on, again it is under shelter so less likely to be rained on (in the event of any rain). 

I wish you luck with your sleep, I know when I share with my family two family members who both snore terribly - I have to wear earphones in to listen to youtube videos to help me sleep. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liverpoollovely said:

Because you have said you have a SPA interior you have access to the SPA relaxing waiting room, in previous ships where I have used the SPA there is a waiting room with comfortable couches and I have seen people sleep in there without being bothered, I am unsure if you would have 24 hour access to this but with your room type you will have SPA access. 

I thought about that too! When we booked the same cabin type on Splendor a few years ago I did notice that the relaxation room was open 24 hours a day and would have been an excellent spot to escape to for some sleep if necessary. It seems like the Vista Class ships have smaller Cloud 9 Spa spaces and I’m wondering if the relaxation room is also smaller or is closed off at night. It will definitely be worth checking in to! Thanks for your suggestions! 

3 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

Whiskey. Lots of whiskey. You won’t hear anything (nor remember if you do). 

Alcohol will definitely be utilized...I just need to be able to get up the next morning! 😂 

On 1/3/2020 at 11:07 AM, catemo_x said:

Thanks for the suggestions, all! I definitely have to use earplugs and I’ll probably use some sort of sleep aid medication as well. Like I said, I’m hoping it would never come to me having to decide to sleep elsewhere but it’s nice to know I’ll have options if I just have to 😂 I forgot about the Serenity Deck clamshells, thats a great option. I also had not considered the library. 

You can also download free apps to your phone that provide white noise.  I use mine every night whether I'm at home, in a hotel or on a cruise ship.  I use mine simply because I'm a light sleeper and it drowns out all the other little sounds that would otherwise wake me up.  The one I use is simply called the bed time fan...its a simple fan noise, but there are dozens of them with all kinds of different sounds.

55 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

I saw your question on a popular social media site (LOL). 

haha! I just saw that too 😂

Whoever posted me to John Heald’s page, thanks for the thought, but I’m certain he can’t just give me another cabin lol!!! 

lots of comments on his page mentioned my husband should definitely get a sleep study. I agree. He probably does have sleep apnea but as to convincing him to see a doctor, Let’s just say I might have more chance of receiving a free extra cabin from John Heald 😂

I had that problem that developed.  went to Dr took home sleep apnia test and now dont snore using a cpap.

Feel allot better also.  Sleep apnia can be a serious health hazard and is covered by most insurance.

I used to use ear plugs when I roomed in with snorers but they got uncomfortable. So I moved to listening to music. You can search for them, but there's eye covers that have speakers in them. I just ordered one myself.

On staying on deck over night, they do clean (hose down/pick up loungers) them in the evening and we were asked to leave areas before so they could work. So YMMV on where you can stay due to that.