End of Great British Sailaway ?

bee-ess

On 1/3/2020 at 6:38 PM, Presto2 said:

I think their famous supporter wrote one about 'angels', well something like that, and the Vale need all the angels they can get as they approach their match with Man City  :classic_blink::classic_ohmy:. If they win then dreams can come true and P&O will reinstate some of the things we loved and lost !!!

Sadly it didn’t come to pass so no chance of P&O reinstating some things we have lost.Presto, as a fellow Tunstallonian, how close are you to the Chatterley Whitfield pub?

On 1/4/2020 at 5:33 PM, jeanlyon said:

I have also been on a cruise where we moored near a German ship and the same thing happened.  All British war songs being played.  I thought it was really tacky and quite pathetic.

Extremely tacky indeed. It is time P&O's so called entertainment staff got it into their thick heads that WW2 ended 75 years ago and that no one, British or German, under the age of 90 could have fought in it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

Extremely tacky indeed. It is time P&O's so called entertainment staff got it into their thick heads that WW2 ended 75 years ago and that no one, British or German, under the age of 90 could have fought in it.

Funnily enough most Germans I came across whilst working thought that Allo Allo was hilarious, whilst at the same time being very contrite about the war crimes the Nazis perpetrated, and I doubt they would have been upset by anything on a GBS.  Although they might have asked us just how many times we had won the world cup, when the MOTD tune came on the Music Man.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 7:07 PM, pete14 said:

Sadly it didn’t come to pass so no chance of P&O reinstating some things we have lost.Presto, as a fellow Tunstallonian, how close are you to the Chatterley Whitfield pub?

About a 10 minute walk :-) Small world am guessing :classic_cool:

57 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

About a 10 minute walk 🙂 Small world am guessing :classic_cool:

About the same, walking down the Scotia greenway alongside Brindley Village estate. So a pretty small world.🤓😉

10 minutes ago, pete14 said:

About the same, walking down the Scotia greenway alongside Brindley Village estate. So a pretty small world.🤓😉

It's a very small world... 

If you carry on down that road, get on the M6, M42, M40, A34, M3, M27 to J9, you get to my house... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

If you carry on down that road, get on the M6, M42, M40, A34, M3, M27 to J9, you get to my house... 😊

Andy 

Seems a very familiar route apart from the fact I use the M6 toll.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 5:03 PM, pete14 said:

No black pudding for me I’m afraid, just well done bacon and fried egg wrapped up in two oatcakes. You wouldn’t put anything on top of an oatcake because if you do you need a knife and fork to eat it. 

No it rolls up

26 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am fascinated now with these Staffordshire Oatcakes, but I doubt they have spread as far as our local Tesco.

Unlikely. We keep the good things for ourselves and I don’t suppose they would go well with Yorkshire pudding although a strong cup of Yorkshire tea is a good accompaniment.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 1:33 PM, Tablelamp said:

I totally agree;  We are welcomed at these ports, and to leave in a noise of jingoistic patriotism makes me ashamed of being British.   If anything we should leave whilst playing THEIR National Anthem.  I hope P & O see my message and take note.   The three blasts on the horn are to say “Goodby and thank you”

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread and I appreciate that discussions move on - but I want to say what a great idea this is. I love a sing-song but think this would be a lovely way of showing respect to our hosts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I am fascinated now with these Staffordshire Oatcakes, but I doubt they have spread as far as our local Tesco.

You will have to visit our city to try them.  We do have tourists coming in to visit places such as Wedgwood, Gladstone Pottery Museum, Trentham Gardens and the Potteries Museum & Art Gallery.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

And it can take between 4 and 8 hours depending on roadworks ;-)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

You will have to visit our city to try them.  We do have tourists coming in to visit places such as Wedgwood, Gladstone Pottery Museum, Trentham Gardens and the Potteries Museum & Art Gallery.

Don't forget Moorcroft, Royal Doulton, Chruchill, Emma Bridgwater and good old Portmeirion …….. though I am the loyal 'Potter' who went to Portmeirion in Wales and was surprised that the pottery was made in Stoke on Trent. Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

On another note - luv me cup of Yorkshire tea …. the best way to start the day ! Re the oatcakes --- if you live in North Wales Tesco stock them. I think it is the ex-pats (or ex-pots) living over there who have taken the tradition with them :-)

Edited by Presto2

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Don't forget Moorcroft, Royal Doulton, Chruchill, Emma Bridgwater and good old Portmeirion …….. though I am the loyal 'Potter' who went to Portmeirion in Wales and was surprised that the pottery was made in Stoke on Trent. Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

On another note - luv me cup of Yorkshire tea …. the best way to start the day ! Re the oatcakes --- if you live in North Wales Tesco stock them. I think it is the ex-pats (or ex-pots) living over there who have taken the tradition with them 🙂

Emma Bridgewater is definitely  worth a visit, we took our niece and nephew to decorate their own mugs during half term.  I was only thinking of the places people can visit since Royal Doulton closed down and I am not sure whether Portmerion, Moorcroft and Churchill do tours.

On the subject of oatcakes, we stayed in a b&b in Cornwall a few years ago and were stunned when they served oatcakes with breakfast.  The owners originated from Stoke and their parents who still live in Clayton sent them oatcakes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Emma Bridgewater is definitely  worth a visit, we took our niece and nephew to decorate their own mugs during half term.  I was only thinking of the places people can visit since Royal Doulton closed down and I am not sure whether Portmerion, Moorcroft and Churchill do tours.

On the subject of oatcakes, we stayed in a b&b in Cornwall a few years ago and were stunned when they served oatcakes with breakfast.  The owners originated from Stoke and their parents who still live in Clayton sent them oatcakes.

During ‘Antiques Road trip’ this evening on BBC, one of the antiques experts was in Stoke finding out about and making oatcakes in one of the many oatcake shops. Anybody whose interest has raised by this diversion to this thread may want to watch it on catch up. Didn’t look as nice as the ones I had for lunch with bacon and an egg though (nicely rolled up).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Don’t forget the pottery outlet shops, especially the Wedgwood / Doulton one which also stocks Waterford Crystal. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pete14 said:

Don’t forget the pottery outlet shops, especially the Wedgwood / Doulton one which also stocks Waterford Crystal. 

We should rename this thread ----"THE POTTERIES ,,, this REALLY is the life !"

:classic_biggrin::classic_laugh::classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Britboys said:

I don't know whether the registration of the ship affects the contracts of the hotel staff or not.  I have a feeling that they may be contracted in their home country, which of course avoids the cruise line having to stick to the employment regulations of their home country.

This might be where they are recruited from.

https://www.magsaysaycareers.com/jobs?page=19&workbase=SEA

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Flowerpower22 said:

I detest the GB sailaway and will be glad to see the back of it.  Really hope this rumour is true.

Not sure why you felt the need to post this on a dormant thread.

Anyway, it isn't a rumour,  the GB sailaway has been replaced with a Sailaway Party,  which mainly comprises those awful songs from the 60s and 70s that you hoped never to hear again. 

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure why you felt the need to post this on a dormant thread.

Anyway, it isn't a rumour,  the GB sailaway has been replaced with a Sailaway Party,  which mainly comprises those awful songs from the 60s and 70s that you hoped never to hear again. 

I've  never been to one so I won't miss it.

2 hours ago, Flowerpower22 said:

I detest the GB sailaway and will be glad to see the back of it.  Really hope this rumour is true.

What did you detest and was you forced to attend them as far as i know it was not obligatory to attend.

• Like 2