Why doesn't Cunard run a fast ocean liner Transatlantic service anymore?

ren0312

Why are we nitpicking here? I think we all know where the term "liner" comes from but QM2 IS and ocean liner and not a cruise ship by design. While she can and does do some cruising she also performs long voyages with multiple days at sea that fit the definition of what "liners" do (one place to a different place in a line). And she is alone in running the old classic transatlantic route. 

The difference in a classic Atlantic Liner is in design of couse & when it was built...the airplane was the death of many liners & original corporate owners..QE2 & FRANCE were perhaps the last of PURPOSELY BUILT ATLANTIC LINERS.

Unfortunately /fortunatelyt it was Carnivore Corp that redefined the passenger ship industry.

Just because a ship is built bigger doesn't mean it's better.....QM2 was built to handle the north Atlantic run but equally important for economic reasons it was to do cruises.

Anyone that sailed QE2 & QM2 knows the difference & it has nothing to do with faux edwardian interiors.  Oh how I wish I had sailed on the UNITED STATES in its day....I believe it even did a 4 day run once.  

I've sailed both ships & would pick QE2 over QM2. As someone mentioned the thrill of going at top speed is a joy...even the captains & officers love giving the ship all.

And dont forget the option for sailing QE2 one way & flying the Concorde Jet the other...the best of engineering, design, service & lots of thrills from the moment you stepped onboard. Again the Concord was an airplane but certainly not just another passenger plane.

Matson line also had "liners" built for the Pacific run...purposely built, lovely & ended up doing cruises also.

Its not what you have but what you do with it that counts.

So my point being ..just because you have the equipment doesn't mean your a member of the club.🚢

What "liners" do is transport things (either cargo or people) on "regular routes and fixed schedules".  There are about 400 liner services in operation today.

As others have said, there were other passenger liners that were designed for other routes than the North Atlantic, and that likely had different block coefficients than the North Atlantic liners.  Why did the NA liners strive for the lowest possible block coefficient?  To allow the highest speed possible with the minimum horsepower.  Merely to compete for the Hale trophy, which was simply bragging rights, not much to do with actual liner service.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chelsea1 said:

There are four eight night transatlantics on the QM2 to/from NY and STN showing for booking - 3 westbound 1 eastbound - from 2020 to  2022. Does anyone know why this is?

Just to expand on what navybankerteacher has already stated...

Voyage M019: Jun 21-29, 2020 Westbound Crossing includes a stop in Le Havre on day 2.

Voyage M123C: Jul 24-Aug 1, 2021 Westbound Crossing includes a stop in Le Havre on day 2.

Voyage M203: Jan 10-18, 2022: Westbound crossing is the first segment of the QM2 2022 world/exotic voyage.

Voyage M207: Mar 14-22, 2022: Eastbound crossing is the final segment of the QM2 2022 world/exotic voyage.

My theory is that those last two crossings are scheduled for eight nights to help extend the length of the QM2 2022 "Caribbean And South America" world/exotic voyage. Even with those two extra nights, that voyage is only 71 nights round trip from Southampton which is relatively short by conventional world voyage standards.