Damajagua The 27 Waterfalls Advice

whitford

I understand that there are at least 3 levels Cascade no.7, no.12 to no.27 to choose from. How hard is the walk to each level? What level is the one you would recommend. We are approaching 70 and my travel partner is really wanting to do this, she is strong. Is the slide down dangerous? What level would you recommend? Any in sites into enjoying the slides. What kind of shoes or other equipment is recommended?

We went December 2018 and really loved it!  If I remember correctly the walk to the the first set (7) is not too bad, the walk to the second set (12) was more strenuous and the walk to the top (27) was about the same degree of strenuous as the walk to the second but obviously extended.  To note we are both 40, live in Colorado (high altitude), are both in relatively good shape and have both been hiking since we were small.  We made several "break" stops on the way up and were provided with a bottle of water (they packed the empty bottles down for us).  I am guessing how many breaks depends on the group?  We went with Mama Iguana and I would highly recommend them!  When you go with them you get 1 guide from Mama Iguana and 2-3 guides from the park.  They were very helpful and aware of everyone's needs. 

I think probably fitness level for the climb up and then stability (agility) on the way down may be things to consider in how many you want to do?  The ground going up was a pretty typical hiking train (rough/rocky/uneven in some areas) and for the 27 falls there is some walking in between falls on the way down.  You are walking in and along a river bed so it is rocky in some areas.  The guides kept a pretty close eye on all of us and would walk with people who looked like they might need assistance. 

The jumps/slides themselves all felt pretty safe.  They are really good about telling you how to jump and where to aim.  The highest jump was the only one I felt pretty nervous about (I am scared of heights!) but I am so glad I did it!  It was a real rush!  There is the option to climb down a ladder if you don't want to jump but for me I think that might have been worse! 

Take either tennis shoes you don't mind getting wet or Keen/Teva type shoes.  Again you will be hiking up a trail and walking on some rocky areas so make sure they are comfortable.  The park will also provide their special shoes for you for a small fee if you prefer (or if you show up with the wrong shoes).  One couple on our excursion came in water shoes like you would wear to the beach and the guides basically made them use the park's shoes.  They argued for a bit about it but at the end I asked the guy and he said they were very glad they listened to the guides and used the park provided shoes.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:22 AM, Acheavacci said:

Could my son wear his sports glasses?  Do you need to take them off to jump and slide?

The kind that have a strap that goes around your head?  I would think that would be ok but  if no strap probably not as they would come off easily when  you hit the water.  Maybe email and ask either the actual park or the tour operator you are looking at using?  We emailed Mama Iguana a few questions before booking and they were quick to get back to us with answers.

https://www.iguanamama.com/

I read somewhere else that the Carnival excursion offered through the ship is only 7 falls.  I don't see where it says that on their website.  Can anyone confirm who has been recently?  Also, how long does it take to only do the 7?