Freeport, not Nassau

wowzz

It seems that Ventura will be docking at Freeport, not Nassau, in February, and again in January next year.

I know that ports can be changed, but this particular alteration is significant. 

The Foreign Office have advised that travel to Freeport should be avoided at present.  Because of this advisory notice, many insurance companies will  not cover  pax if they leave the ship to go on excursions in Freeport. 

I wonder if P&O will still offer excursions in Freeport, and if they do so, will they have the necessary insurance in place?

I appreciate that things may change for 2021, but the situation is unlikely to alter before February this year.

I would be interested to know if the more experienced cruisers out there have any opinions on this scenario.

Edited by wowzz

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

It seems that Ventura will be docking at Freeport, not Nassau, in February, and again in January next year.

I know that ports can be changed, but this particular alteration is significant. 

The Foreign Office have advised that travel to Freeport should be avoided at present.  Because of this advisory notice, many insurance companies will  not cover  pax if they leave the ship to go on excursions in Freeport. 

I wonder if P&O will still offer excursions in Freeport, and if they do so, will they have the necessary insurance in place?

I appreciate that things may change for 2021, but the situation is unlikely to alter before February this year.

I would be interested to know if the more experienced cruisers out there have any opinions on this scenario.

All I can say is we went there last year on the Aurora and imo it's not worth getting off, nothing of interest just market stalls and that's about that

Vicky

7 minutes ago, Victoria 82 said:

All I can say is we went there last year on the Aurora and imo it's not worth getting off, nothing of interest just market stalls and that's about that

Vicky

It's the second port after a TA, so it would have been nice to get off the ship if only for a couple if hours.  Now we can't even do that.

That is disappointing especially given the FO advice and others' opinion of the port.  As you say, insurance could be an issue - to say nothing of safety!

We don't know what the issues/complications are which have brought about this change but it seems changes can be quite contentious.  If we have a proper explanation or evidence of the Company trying to resolve issues in the best interests of passengers, it's likely folk will accept that - but unfortunately communications are often not very satisfactory and this leaves us feeling unhappy with changes.  Some changes occur as a result of events which are genuinely outside of the cruise line's control - but it's how these things are handled which is important. I know some people will be upset whatever but most if us will accept decisions if it seems reasonable and better alternatives have been explored, even if found not to be viable.  But with no information you are quite understandably disappointed, especially given the concerns about the replacement port.

Interesting article I read today about another Company with what I would consider msking significant itinerary changes and hiding behind T&Cs.  What is 'significant?  Not very satisfactory for those passengers!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/tui-cruise-marella-discovery-passengers-engine-transformer-slow-down-ship-a9264616.html

3 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

That is disappointing especially given the FO advice and others' opinion of the port.  As you say, insurance could be an issue - to say nothing of safety!

We don't know what the issues/complications are which have brought about this change but it seems changes can be quite contentious.  If we have a proper explanation or evidence of the Company trying to resolve issues in the best interests of passengers, it's likely folk will accept that - but unfortunately communications are often not very satisfactory and this leaves us feeling unhappy with changes.  Some changes occur as a result of events which are genuinely outside of the cruise line's control - but it's how these things are handled which is important. I know some people will be upset whatever but most if us will accept decisions if it seems reasonable and better alternatives have been explored, even if found not to be viable.  But with no information you are quite understandably disappointed, especially given the concerns about the replacement port.

Interesting article I read today about another Company with what I would consider msking significant itinerary changes and hiding behind T&Cs.  What is 'significant?  Not very satisfactory for those passengers!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/tui-cruise-marella-discovery-passengers-engine-transformer-slow-down-ship-a9264616.html

Thank you for a reasoned reply.

First of all, I would in no way compare our change in schedule to the situation on Discovery. IMHO, TUI have treated their customers appallingly, and have created enormous adverse publicity for themselves.

With regard to the change of port to Freeport, I can understand why such a change might be necessary after the recent storm damage. However, P&O are taking passengers to a port that the FO are specifically advising should not be visited.

As long as P&O tell all their passengers that they should stay on board, because otherwise their insurance policies would be invalid in the case of a claim,  all well and good. However, if P&O make no such announcement, and subsequently a passenger has a claim denied by their insurance company, I would feel that P&O would be criminally culpable.

At present P&O have not made any such announcement. It will be interesting to see if this situation changes prior to arrival in Freeport.

I agree, TUI are treating their passengers with contempt imo.  They may well be over a barrel but to fly so far and have three port days disappear from your itinerary is at the least significant and a better gesture of goodwill than that already offered I think would be in order. 

I hope you have a great trip though and that all is well but your concerns about insurance are valid and hopefully P&O will be cognizant of that and advise accordingly. Best wishes for an enjoyable cruise.

We are sailing to Freeport in Jan 2021.P and O advised us that it was because it is no longer possible to take on fuel in Nassau.I am sure it will be sorted out by the time we go but I do hope that the people visiting this february will either be given clearance to get off the ship or an alternative port found.

I would just love to be onboard! Lived in Freeport in the 70's and I know there have  been a lot of changes since then but the beaches are beautiful and the island badly needs tourists. At the Marketplace visit Pisces restaurant owned by my friends, and I'm sure there will be plenty of taxis to take you to the various beaches.  I've a friend, Ruby, on Ventura at the moment - wish I was there but haven't the finances. 

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

We are sailing to Freeport in Jan 2021.P and O advised us that it was because it is no longer possible to take on fuel in Nassau.I am sure it will be sorted out by the time we go but I do hope that the people visiting this february will either be given clearance to get off the ship or an alternative port found.

There are a couple of roll calls for this cruise, one on CC, if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Well everyone, the FCO has changed its advice for Grand Bahama and the Abacos and removed the "all but essential travel" condition therefore, it looks likely that the Freeport call will remain in the itinerary in place of Nassau. Have to say Freeport is not the best of ports and we would have preferred the original Nassau call but there you go.

dunnster

1 hour ago, dunnster1965 said:

Well everyone, the FCO has changed its advice for Grand Bahama and the Abacos and removed the "all but essential travel" condition therefore, it looks likely that the Freeport call will remain in the itinerary in place of Nassau. Have to say Freeport is not the best of ports and we would have preferred the original Nassau call but there you go.

dunnster

I hope it turns out to be better than you expect.  Is this the 35 nighter including N.O.?  If so we did that itinerary a couple of years ago and it was brilliant!  If it's as good as our trip, i think looking back, Freeport won't be too significant.  We loved N.O. and did the P&O excurion to the Palm Court Jazz Cafe.   If that's your cup of tea, i can recommend it.  Fantastic!  And a decent meal too.   It wasn't possible to do this DiY because P&O guests were the only ones there.  Great atmosphere.

Anyway, have a great trip.  I'm quite envious, 😉

20 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I hope it turns out to be better than you expect.  Is this the 35 nighter including N.O.?  If so we did that itinerary a couple of years ago and it was brilliant!  If it's as good as our trip, i think looking back, Freeport won't be too significant.  We loved N.O. and did the P&O excurion to the Palm Court Jazz Cafe.   If that's your cup of tea, i can recommend it.  Fantastic!  And a decent meal too.   It wasn't possible to do this DiY because P&O guests were the only ones there.  Great atmosphere.

Anyway, have a great trip.  I'm quite envious, 😉

Yes, it's the cruise to New Orleans amongst others and I suppose it could be regarded as a bit of a first world problem when your 35 night winter epic voyage to the Caribbean gets a port change 😀  but the Nassau stop was important to us personally and one of the reasons we booked the cruise along with Bermuda which now has a reduced call.

Thanks for the N.O. tour tip off, much appreciated 👍

2 hours ago, dunnster1965 said:

Yes, it's the cruise to New Orleans amongst others and I suppose it could be regarded as a bit of a first world problem when your 35 night winter epic voyage to the Caribbean gets a port change 😀  but the Nassau stop was important to us personally and one of the reasons we booked the cruise along with Bermuda which now has a reduced call.

Thanks for the N.O. tour tip off, much appreciated 👍

If you have been to Nassau you will know it has become too popular with cruise ships, there are generally 5 or 6 ships in port every day, and the part of the town within walking distance itself is very seedy and run down. We have never taken a shore excursion here so cannot comment on whether anywhere offers something worthwhile.