How safe did you feel in Roatan?

sazzifrazz

On a Facebook cruising board I belong a conversation came up about island parents felt unsafe on.  Roatan keeps getting mentioned.  I booked a private tour with Rony's and plan to go to Manawaki Park and Bananarama.  Now I am wondering if we are going to regret getting off the boat.  I have never not explored a port.  

Roatan is generally pretty safe for cruisers. Plus lots of expats from Canada and US live here. Rony's drivers won't take you to any dangerous areas. But yes the beach vendors can be annoying. Just trying to make a living, not harm anyone.  

My son lives there part time ....asked him and said even on east end where he lives tourists feel safe. Take usual precautions re money, pocketbooks, wandering off to out of the way areas etc. Been there twice mostly on West end and find it much more "comfortable" than Jamaica for example

When people talk about safety I always think about murder, kidnapping for ransom, sexual assault, things like that.  I am a retired law enforcement professional and in my experience lots of victims are somewhere they have no business being, and/or doing something they have no business doing.  My wife and I have been all over Roatan, east west and central, for years and I have never once felt unsafe.  Property crime can happen anywhere and is sometimes, but not always, the result of someone’s relaxed caution with their items of value.  Use common sense like you do at home.  I was born and raised in Houston and there are several parts I avoid during the day, not to mention at night.  Same with most U.S. cities.  So don’t go where you have no business going.  Don’t get falling down drunk.  Don’t buy drugs.  Pay attention to your surroundings.  Stay with people you trust (and I would include Rony’s, as well as Victor Bodden in that characterization), don’t flash expensive jewelry or large amounts of cash.  Sound familiar?  Yeah, same as at home.

• Like 3

We have been there at least 10 times, including an 8-day stay at a resort. We have always toured with Rony and have always felt safe.   We have never been in any situation where we were concerned. It is a beautuful island with lots to do - definitely do not stay on the ship.

I have gone alone and as a female I've felt safe. I ventured outside the port and met up with another couple looking for a tour. We found a guide on our own who took us all around the island. The 3 other times I've been to the island I've been with other people and we never felt unsafe. I think where that comes from is that there are police officers who patrol on the back of motorcycles with machine guns slung over their backs and that can freak people out even though they're just there for security. The tour guides are friendly and just want your business. I think people freak out when they see poverty areas or things that they don't see at home. I've done Little French Key, an island tour, a private retreat through the ship and I've never felt unsafe.