See Dolphins from the balcony?

• Clarea changed the title to See Dolphins from the balcony?

One is more likely to see dolphins on sea days if occupying  a cabin very near the bow of the ship.  We have seen them both before and after the canal on Panama Canal cruises. We have also seen them on a cold October day off the Maritimes.  Dolphins were spotted several times while on Symphony last spring.  Just keep your fingers crossed and watch the water.

Edited by roadburner

I have done 25ish cruises, I have seen whales once and dolphins once, so by my math 2/25 chance of seeing anything. It will also depend on what time of year and your itinerary.We saw them both on cruises in the Mexican Riviera.

Edited by bearette

20+ cruises (all except one booked in a balcony)  i've only seen dolphins three times.

1) while walking out of johnny rockets on a sea day on freedom

2) while docked in galveston

3) while docked in galveston

9 hours ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

For the first time I’m getting a balcony(Harmony of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 12/20).  How common is it to see dolphins while sitting on the balcony?  I read a couple comments online where cruisers mentioned them.  

not very.    its rare at  the best of  times.  I have seen more flying fish,  birds landing on my balcony railing and the odd sea turtle or jelly fish mass than I ever have dolphins or whales.  

Our very first cruise, sailing out of Port Canaveral, we had dolphins swimming/jumping beside our ship the entire way out of port. It was awesome, as if the local tourist board had set it up. 45 cruise later and we have not seen dolphins EVER again! Seriously, the only thing we have ever seen is some flying fish a couple of times. 

We've seen them in Port Canaveral while docked and while leaving.  In Charleston harbor there's always a lot of them.  Haven't seen them at sea, mainly because they tend to be just ahead of the ship where it's harder to see them.  I've seen a couple of turtles also, mainly in PC.

Edited by BND

Have been lucky to see dolphins a number of times usually in the med and around Gibraltar. Once saw a pod swimming right near the window when we were in an OV cabin! But some cruises  we have seen whales and turtles and others out at sea think it depends where you are and the time of year!

We've seen them while leaving port AND in the distance while at sea.  Sometimes you just get lucky.  Definitely watch the water while in (or leaving) port.  Like others, that's where we've seen the most things.  Sea turtles, hammer head sharks, etc.

Have seen dolphins many times, and occasionally a small whale or two (even in the Carib and Bahamas).  Dolphins are common in the port at PC, and if you pay attention closely...will see Manatees as well. 

Just once at sea while we were coming into a port of call...saw a huge shark! 

Always see many flying fish, and love watching the birds dive for them.   

Have seen many whales on Alaska cruises too.  Best part of having a balcony.  🙂