Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CafeBruno

71% price increase for in room liquor

Recommended Posts

Last week, I was shopping for our Feb. 23 14 day Nieuw Statendam cruise, and put some stuff in the HAL website shopping cart, but didn't actually buy them - in-room liquor, internet package, shore excursions, etc. Today I checked again and the liquor i was planning to have delivered to our stateroom more than doubled in price! My bottle of Absolut vodka went from $43.75 last week to $69 today, an increase of 58%. My bottle of Crown Royal went from $53.75 last week to $92 today, a 71% increase!! Needless to say I cancelled them both. Really wish I had completed the purchase last week at the reasonable prices - but I will not buy at the new prices. Seriously HAL, a 71% increase??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes!

HAL's in-room liquor prices were among the most reasonable of all the cruise lines. I guess they are making up for it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The cruise lines don't want you in the room drinking "reasonably priced" alcohol purchased by the bottle. They want you in the bars, lounges, dining venues, casino or pool paying by the glass, or purchasing a beverage package. It's all about revenue streams. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was afraid of Jan 1st price increases and bought our Wifi and SBP for March sailing on 12/31. Those two things do not appear to have gone up, YET. But I'm glad I have them taken care of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks OP.  I went to look and prices are up.  My Grey Goose that I bought for $85 is now $103.50 - about a 22% increase.  Glad I bought it earlier. 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am disappointed to hear of the price increase.  Like Daisy-Mae posted, HAL's was among the most reasonable of all the cruise lines.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dewars went from $55 to $69.  Glad I pre-purchased several months ago.

 

It's all about the Benjamins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darn, wish I'd purchased when I made the rez last week. Some "good" news, though, at least a few of the bottled wines you can pre-purchase for your cabin actually went down in price (Chateau St. Michelle Chardonnay was $61.25, now $56.35), and the Sommelier wine packages don't appear to have changed for the 6 or 8 bottle packages.

 

Captive audience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are not heavy drinkers and I don't think we ever managed to drain an entire bottle of rye, so we will likely forgo the purchase of in-room liquor and opt for happy hour instead.

 

I just hope that HAL will not mess with the one bottle of wine per person policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry I missed my chance too. What seems strange is the different amount of increases for different labels.

I was going to order a bottle of Jim Beam for $53 now it is $69, that is an increase of 30%, not nearly as bad of increase as some others. Why would one bottle be increased 30% while another 71%? Now I am thinking I had better order my Jim Beam before they increase it even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

Why would one bottle be increased 30% while another 71%? Now I am thinking I had better order my Jim Beam before they increase it even more.

 

Different suppliers (brokers)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

 

Different suppliers (brokers)?

 

That might well be the case?

 

Thinking about this, I do believe it’s been some time since HAL has raised their in room liquor prices.  Drink prices have gone up in the meantime so in a way, it makes sense the bottles have caught up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

 

Different suppliers (brokers)?

I don't think this is the case. I am sure they get their bottles from the same suppliers as they always have. And it is unlikely that one supplier would suddenly have a massive increase in price.

After thinking about this, I think I know the answer. I noticed that the really big increases were all for the really expensive brands, while the less expensive brands got moderate increases. I believe they are counting on people who have more expensive taste to pay the big bucks no matter what the cost. And they are probably right.

My bottle of Jim Beam only had a 30% increase, because it is a moderately priced whiskey, and does not appeal to people with a more refined taste.

By the way, I went ahead and ordered a bottle Jim Beam, even after they increased the price. I was worried that HAL would reconsider how they are pricing some items and increase the price even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

I noticed that the really big increases were all for the really expensive brands, while the less expensive brands got moderate increases. I believe they are counting on people who have more expensive taste to pay the big bucks no matter what the cost. And they are probably right.

 

I’m not sure.  Grey Goose’s percentage price increased less than your Jim Beam.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In October my Gin and Tonic package came with a bottle of Sapphire where it is normally Beefeaters.  The cost was $42.55.

Johnny Walker Black was over $93,  which is a rip.  I've cruised HAL for over 33 years and many moons ago you could go down to the Kiosk and buy a bottle to take back to the cabin for a 20% surcharge.  Those days are long gone and sounds like HAL is just getting greedier.  They need to realize that nickel and diming people leaves a bad taste. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daisy-mae said:

We are not heavy drinkers and I don't think we ever managed to drain an entire bottle of rye, so we will likely forgo the purchase of in-room liquor and opt for happy hour instead.

 

I just hope that HAL will not mess with the one bottle of wine per person policy.

My last 2 cruises out of Port Everglades had no one checking for wine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedmondCruiser said:

I've cruised HAL for over 33 years and many moons ago you could go down to the Kiosk and buy a bottle to take back to the cabin for a 20% surcharge.  Those days are long gone and sounds like HAL is just getting greedier.  They need to realize that nickel and diming people leaves a bad taste. 

 

Or maybe they are just keeping up with industry standards.

 

These are business decisions that have less to do with greed and more to do with managing the bottom line.  I suspect that research has shown that guests who can prepare their own drinks at a savings are less likely to purchase from the bar (that was the case for us), so by tweaking the cost of a bottle it may be possible to alter that behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

 

Or maybe they are just keeping up with industry standards.

 

These are business decisions that have less to do with greed and more to do with managing the bottom line.  I suspect that research has shown that guests who can prepare their own drinks at a savings are less likely to purchase from the bar (that was the case for us), so by tweaking the cost of a bottle it may be possible to alter that behaviour.

True - Industry standards and all bottom line driven.  The exorbitant increase of 71% is to drive you to buy your drinks at the bar.  I still enjoy sitting on my veranda with a drink and watch the ocean pass by.  The profit margins are undeniable - a bottle generates 21 shots.  Using Johnny Walker black as a yard stick - at $93 a bottle that's $4.42 per shot,  at the bar its $9.50 per shot or just short of $200.  Whole sale the bottle cost HAL roughly $35 - so its either $58 profit or $165.  Guess what they want you to take ??  

 

I've come to realize that the upscale lines (all inclusive)  are looking better - especially when you get your final statement on the last day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RedmondCruiser said:

 

 

I've come to realize that the upscale lines (all inclusive)  are looking better - especially when you get your final statement on the last day. 

 

I guess it all depends on your priorities. Since we are not huge consumers of alcohol, we have never found the all-inclusive options to be cost-effective choices for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, RedmondCruiser said:

I still enjoy sitting on my veranda with a drink and watch the ocean pass by. 

 

That's what I enjoy too.  And when you are in port, I like sitting there and watching all the port activity. I don't really enjoy the atmosphere of the bars.

Just curious, as I have never tried this: Is it possible to order a cocktail delivered to your room? With the prices of bottles going up, this might be something to consider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

 

 

That's what I enjoy too.  And when you are in port, I like sitting there and watching all the port activity. I don't really enjoy the atmosphere of the bars.

Just curious, as I have never tried this: Is it possible to order a cocktail delivered to your room? With the prices of bottles going up, this might be something to consider. 

Or, you could order the drink (s) at a bar and bring them up to your cabin verandah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

Just curious, as I have never tried this: Is it possible to order a cocktail delivered to your room? With the prices of bottles going up, this might be something to consider. 

 

We usually buy a soda card for our mix; we stop at a bar on the way back to our cabin and order a glass of cola to which we add the alcohol once we are back in our room. That may not work if your preference is a fancy cocktail, but even then you could either make a run yourself or sweet talk your significant other into venturing out for you (which is what we will probably be doing from now on since we will no longer be ordering a bottle for the room).

 

 

Edited by daisy-mae
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess HAL is trying to make more money on those of us who like to sit out on our verandahs and enjoy a drink.

 

The last time we bought Grey Goose (3 bottles) it was $72 a bottle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I got my grey goose in October! Last night I purchased  Miraval Cotes de Provence Rose it was 40.00 in October I paid $63.00! My loss 😔

yes it is a wine I could of brought on but we like our champagne. So we will bring that on

Denise😊
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...