Precruise in Copenhagen

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

We have a full 3 days precruise in Copenhagen.  Any ideas on what to do?  A day trip on the train would be doable also.  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Nyhavn, Tivoli gardens,Stroget(long shopping street),see the Little Mermaid and the Palace.

Go on a schooner.

• Like 2

Canal cruise at Nyhavn.

Walk, browse, shop the pedestrian street between Nyhavn and Tivoli

Watch the guard change if there during season.

Walk over to Kastellet

Take the train from central station to Malmo, Sweden. Canal tours and dining there.

Visit Tivoli

Copenhagen is an easy walk central city.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Buy a 3-day Copenhagen Card online before your trip.  You can use it for virtually all main attractions, plus the good transit system.  You can walk to/from/around most of the attractions if staying centrally.

I forgot to mention that during our time there, we took a day tour out of the city that has a pick-up right by Tivoli Gardens.  With the Copenhagen Card, we got a discount off that tour cost due to the Card's admission coverage for some out of town castles.  Hamlet Tours was the company and they are well-rated.  We were a small group in a van with a driver and guide.

• Like 1

We had 4 days and did both of the Hamlet Tours on two of the days.  Both were very good and we were able to squeeze in so much more than we ever could have on our own.  https://hamlettours.com/     We did a Foodie Tour on the first night that we really enjoyed.  It was a good introduction to Copenhagen.  We even went back to the marketplace on our last day to purchase cheese and some other items that we tasted to take home.  https://copenhagen.foodtours.eu/product/evening-gourmet-stroll/  Our last day was reserved to go back and see anything that was missed and a return trip to Nyhavn.  We had a Copenhagen Card that we used to get around, but the town is very walkable....just don't stand in the bicycle lanes!  They stop for no one!

• Like 2

We have been in Copenhagen, post-cruise, five times and always spend a few nights.  Just love it there and we, too, have been out in the country twice to visit castles:  Kronborg ("Hamlet" Elsinore) and Frederiksborg.  We did both on our own with or without fellow cruisers.  Kronborg we did on our own--easy to take the train there from Copenhagen and an easy walk from the train station to the castle.  You can practically touch Sweden from there <g>.  Getting to Frederiksborg was more complicated:  train, then bus.  A group from our CC group managed to do it.  It's newer than Kronborg and very elaborate and fully furnished.  Enjoyed both adventures.  We were last in Copenhagen in April 2017 and I enjoyed walking around the city, see some new sights and enjoying my old favorites.  One thing I love about Copenhagen as a photographer are all the steeples, each a different design.  Most of the churches are no longer in use as such.  One right in the shopping district is now an art museum.  I did find a small church that was still active.  It had a ship hanging between the altar area and the pews.  We've seen this kind of thing elsewhere, perhaps in Iceland or elsewhere in Scandanavia.  Rosenborg Castle in the city is lovely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Buy a 3-day Copenhagen Card online before your trip.  You can use it for virtually all main attractions, plus the good transit system.  You can walk to/from/around most of the attractions if staying centrally.

I bought and picked up my Copenhagen Card at the information booth at the airport. I found having a physical card very convenient, rather than having to pull out my phone each time I used it. (If you order a card for pickup, you will be in the same line that I was in to pick up the card.) If you do order it online, note that there is a tiny drop down above the total cost box that says Euro. You can change the currency to Danish Krone, British Pounds or US dollars. When I looked at this last summer, the Danish Krone price was a better deal than any of the alternate currencies. (If you purchase it at the airport, the charge will be in Krone.)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I bought and picked up my Copenhagen Card at the information booth at the airport. I found having a physical card very convenient, rather than having to pull out my phone each time I used it. (If you order a card for pickup, you will be in the same line that I was in to pick up the card.) If you do order it online, note that there is a tiny drop down above the total cost box that says Euro. You can change the currency to Danish Krone, British Pounds or US dollars. When I looked at this last summer, the Danish Krone price was a better deal than any of the alternate currencies. (If you purchase it at the airport, the charge will be in Krone.)

The smartphone option works well too.  I think I did as you and charged the Card to my no-foreign-transaction-upcharge Visa card.

Manu really good suggestions for you days in previous posts. Here you have my votes.

Don’t miss the Canal Tour.
The guard change at the Royal Palace (Amalienborg) is every day at noon.

Walking the Copenhagen center, Round Tower (Rundetårn), Strøget (shopping area), Nyhavn and Rosenborg Castle/Kings Garden

The Botanical Garden.
Visit the Freetown Christiania in Christianshavn area.Take the Metro from Kongens Nytorv.

Just North of Copenhagen (S-train/local train) the oldest and biggest open air museum (Frilandsmuseet).
Outside Copenhagen by train for sure a visit to Helsingør with Kronborg Castle (Hamlets Castle) as well as Frederiksborg Castle and gardens in Hillerød.

Train to Roskilde to visit the Cathedral, the Viking Ship museum and maybe the Tour Boat at Roskilde Fjord.

Tivoli Garden is a must one of the evenings.

Enjoy your stay in Copenhagen

• Like 1

Be aware a lot of attractions are closed Mondays. The Glyptotek Museum close to Tivoli Gardens is open Mondays and in any case is worth a visit in its own right.

The Design Museum is very interesting and has displays of work by some of the leading Danish designers.

We like the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art which is 20 miles north of Copenhagen but is accessible by train.

The iconic Arne Jacobsen designed SAS hotel, again near Tivoli Gardens is also worth a visit, and a drink in the lobby to see the circular staircase.

A lunch of a mixed plate of herrings at Nyhavn.

Another day a lunch of smorrebrod open sandwiches.

• Like 1

You have lots of good suggestions here. I will just add a piece of information that I learned on my last trip: the Copenhagen Card does not act as your skip-the-line ticket to attractions. Rather, it can be exchanged for a ticket at the ticket office, after you stand in line. This is especially significant at attractions with limited space that can become crowded (especially when ships are in port) such as Rosenborg Slot. Get to those attractions before peak times if you don't want to be waiting for an hour!

I will just add myself to the list of people that suggest a day trip on your own to Frederiksborg Palace and Kronborg Castle.

And I I will suggest that you start with Frederiksborg Palace because the trains back to Copenhagen from Helsingør and Kronborg will be more comfy and that is nice after a long day. 

• Like 1

Been to Copenhagen 3X now.  Our favorite museum remains the Ny Carlsberg.  Rarely do I see it mentioned, which must explain why it isn't crowded. The place is light and airy, with fabulous artwork and sculptures. Jean Gautherin's "Paradise Lost" sculpture of Adam comforting a distraught Eve remains one of the most poignant works I have seen.

Edited by lynncarol

On 1/6/2020 at 3:21 PM, jbinbi said:

Has anyone been to the national museum? I am very interested in seeing viking history.

Yes, I love the National Museum. An excellent collection of artifacts in an excellent state of preservation. (Thank the bogs for that.)

In a different vein, we went to the Opera House and saw the Paris Opera Ballet.  It was excellent, and we ended up sitting about 20 feet from the Queen.

The free walking tour is a great way to get oriented to the city.  It is eminently walkable, and once you know the landmarks very easy to navigate.

Edited by ljandgb

1 hour ago, phabric said:

Does the HOHO bus stop near where Princess ships dock?

Not sure which dock - different dock locations in Copenhagen. Please post ship and date in order to provide a accurate information 
However if Oceankaj, this harbour is located ‘off the route’ and has a short transfer by sightseeing shuttle bus to join the Mermaid route at the Little Mermaid, bus stop 5. A cruise ship shuttle is offered to return guests to their ship which departs again from the Little Mermaid. This service is included in your Hop On - Hop Off ticket.