Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
RMMariner

Princess night life may finally exist

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think that route attracts older individuals as many younger people don't want that many sea days and so few days in Hawaii (when using vacation time). When retired, it matters less.

 

Good point.

 

But we have also been on a number of cruises to Alaska, down the Pacific coast and Mexico. Only Mexico had any real night life, and I think a huge part of that was the ridiculous cost of the drink package. We are Canadian, and in our currency the PBP was almost $100 a day, and if you were buying a drink at a time, it was often over $15 each in Canadian.

 

Also, there is no way I would enjoy drinking 15 drinks a day, so I would have been paying for a service I really did not want. It looks to me like there were probably a lot of passengers in much the same situation.

 

This is an even better deal than the BOGO and that used to be a lot of fun. I think Princess will probably make more money doing it this way as well. Plus, no more people pulling their auto tips. I love that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

 

Good point.

 

But we have also been on a number of cruises to Alaska, down the Pacific coast and Mexico. Only Mexico had any real night life, and I think a huge part of that was the ridiculous cost of the drink package. We are Canadian, and in our currency the PBP was almost $100 a day, and if you were buying a drink at a time, it was often over $15 each in Canadian.

 

Also, there is no way I would enjoy drinking 15 drinks a day, so I would have been paying for a service I really did not want. It looks to me like there were probably a lot of passengers in much the same situation.

 

This is an even better deal than the BOGO and that used to be a lot of fun. I think Princess will probably make more money doing it this way as well. Plus, no more people pulling their auto tips. I love that too.

I think if you did a 7 night Caribbean, you would see the nightlife you want.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Coral said:

Best Sale Ever which can include the drink package for an affordable price.

 

48 minutes ago, Coral said:

Best Sale Ever which can include the drink package for an affordable price.

Thank you.  Can you add that if you are paid in full already?  I will have to look to see how much it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

 

Thank you.  Can you add that if you are paid in full already?  I will have to look to see how much it is.

I am not a TA so this is purely a guess that you probably can as long as your cruise qualifies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

 

Good point.

 

But we have also been on a number of cruises to Alaska, down the Pacific coast and Mexico. Only Mexico had any real night life, and I think a huge part of that was the ridiculous cost of the drink package. We are Canadian, and in our currency the PBP was almost $100 a day, and if you were buying a drink at a time, it was often over $15 each in Canadian.

 

Also, there is no way I would enjoy drinking 15 drinks a day, so I would have been paying for a service I really did not want. It looks to me like there were probably a lot of passengers in much the same situation.

 

This is an even better deal than the BOGO and that used to be a lot of fun. I think Princess will probably make more money doing it this way as well. Plus, no more people pulling their auto tips. I love that too.

Yes, a better deal than the bogo, and Princess guarantees their top line sales.  Win win for many.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coral said:

I think that route attracts older individuals as many younger people don't want that many sea days and so few days in Hawaii (when using vacation time). When retired, it matters less.

^ this it is also known as the buggy and cane cruise. We get the pbp for the overall value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, c-boy said:

^ this it is also known as the buggy and cane cruise. We get the pbp for the overall value.

There are certain weeks when more older people go (first of December, January) and certain weeks when a younger group goes (spring break, holidays).

 

I just don't think a party group says "lets do a California coastal".

 

The 10 day Caribbean cruises won't have it either.

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread makes me laugh, even in my 20s, when I did stay out til the bar closed, never drank more than 2 drinks all night... of course, I like a real drink like scotch on the rocks... now that I am 72, I still drink about 2 drinks a day... but I am in my room by 11 pm ... I cruise Princess because I don't want a Carnival atmosphere.   I don't need others to have a good time...rarely go to a bar any more anywhere even on a ship.    Drink with dinner and that's it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, pris993 said:

This thread makes me laugh, even in my 20s, when I did stay out til the bar closed, never drank more than 2 drinks all night... of course, I like a real drink like scotch on the rocks... now that I am 72, I still drink about 2 drinks a day... but I am in my room by 11 pm ... I cruise Princess because I don't want a Carnival atmosphere.   I don't need others to have a good time...rarely go to a bar any more anywhere even on a ship.    Drink with dinner and that's it...

Which is great for you, and that is why I said it should not impact on existing clientele.

 

I still have 30 years to get to your age, and we like to go out. We don't drink much, but it is still rather sad to be standing in an empty bar at 10 pm.

 

We like meeting new people  and really enjoyed the BOGO event. Going to one of the venues and not being the only people there is also something that would be great.

 

To each their own. We do agree on one thing - a Carnival atmosphere would be awful. I just would like something that had some life to it after 10 pm.

Edited by RMMariner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carnival cruise’s party life is not coming to Princess. But, if Princess doesn’t do something soon, one influenza epidemic will wipe out their customer base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We don't drink ,except a glass of wine half full glass ,at dinner . Wow look at all the calories & cash we save  LOL😃

What? Relevance to OP? 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

What? Relevance to OP? 🙄

 

Perhaps proof that my experiences with Princess night life are real and pervasive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

 

Perhaps proof that my experiences with Princess night life are real and pervasive.

Sorry if you took this wrong, I was speaking to that specific poster.

I agree with you, but how that poster's drinking profile has anything to do with your question, I am not sure. That is why I asked them. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope I think we are fine. I know what you meant.

 

I think the poster, like many people just doesn't drink much. Which is great. I really don't drink much either, but we have 6 kids at home, and when we get away we like to get out a bit.

 

43 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Carnival cruise’s party life is not coming to Princess. But, if Princess doesn’t do something soon, one influenza epidemic will wipe out their customer base. 

 

My point exactly. This promotion allows Princess' current passengers to carry on, but it also appeals to some of us that still like to get out a little at night. 

 

Some of the older passengers sometimes forget (I think) that some of the younger passengers may want something a little more lively. I repeat, I do not want the Carnival experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RMMariner said:

Which is great for you, and that is why I said it should not impact on existing clientele.

 

I still have 30 years to get to your age, and we like to go out. We don't drink much, but it is still rather sad to be standing in an empty bar at 10 pm.

 

We like meeting new people  and really enjoyed the BOGO event. Going to one of the venues and not being the only people there is also something that would be great.

 

To each their own. We do agree on one thing - a Carnival atmosphere would be awful. I just would like something that had some life to it after 10 pm.

Hey, I did not mean to imply that there should not be a venue open at 11 pm... don't think drinks are the answer...good entertain is what would draws folks... part of the reason I don't stay up late and go to the disco... don't really like the music.... hopefully you do... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Hey, I did not mean to imply that there should not be a venue open at 11 pm... don't think drinks are the answer...good entertain is what would draws folks... part of the reason I don't stay up late and go to the disco... don't really like the music.... hopefully you do... 

 

We agree. I like a glass of wine with dinner, and a couple of drinks after while we are listening to music. If we stay up and dance or god forbid I sing karaoke, I tend to like a couple of more drinks. But the entertainment is the main draw. 

 

I am careful with how much I drink because I pay for every drink the next day at the gym.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pris993 said:

Hey, I did not mean to imply that there should not be a venue open at 11 pm... don't think drinks are the answer...good entertain is what would draws folks... part of the reason I don't stay up late and go to the disco... don't really like the music.... hopefully you do... 

 

Exactly.  It might be a false correlation that a lot of alcohol = night life.  If there was something great going on, I would stay up and go.   Much of the time, I stay up in my room reading, or watching TV.  A few years ago, I did a Norwegian Cruise on the Breakaway or Getaway (can't remember) and there was a small venue called Fat Cat Cafe.  It's a jazz and blues club.  OMG,  we went every night and they had the most fabulous live entertainment in a small club atmosphere.  I drank mostly club soda after a glass of wine , otherwise I would go to sleep.  The place was hopping. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lolane1 said:

 

Exactly.  It might be a false correlation that a lot of alcohol = night life.  If there was something great going on, I would stay up and go.   Much of the time, I stay up in my room reading, or watching TV.  A few years ago, I did a Norwegian Cruise on the Breakaway or Getaway (can't remember) and there was a small venue called Fat Cat Cafe.  It's a jazz and blues club.  OMG,  we went every night and they had the most fabulous live entertainment in a small club atmosphere.  I drank mostly club soda after a glass of wine , otherwise I would go to sleep.  The place was hopping. 

 

That is my point. Something needs to jump start Princess' nightlife. We will only have a drink or two, but something has to get people to stay up after 10 pm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, Coral said:

Best Sale Ever which can include the drink package for an affordable price.

Much better than Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only thought, after upgrading two exiting bookings with the BPE stuff, was what if Princess decided that their quality wines by the glass were only Thunderbird and Pink Ripple  Oh my.  I would also like to see Princess adopt a policy that lets folks upgrade their drinks by only paying the difference from the package price point.  This has happened on some other lines (notably Celebrity).  We have heard rumors of it happening on Princess but have not seen anything in writing.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My only thought, after upgrading two exiting bookings with the BPE stuff, was what if Princess decided that their quality wines by the glass were only Thunderbird and Pink Ripple  Oh my.  I would also like to see Princess adopt a policy that lets folks upgrade their drinks by only paying the difference from the package price point.  This has happened on some other lines (notably Celebrity).  We have heard rumors of it happening on Princess but have not seen anything in writing.

 

Hank

I heard that Princess was already doing this. I really hope they. We will have some extra OBC on our cruises now with the grats and the PBP taken care of. I certainly would not mind using some of to upgrade to a better quality wine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...