Cruise Critic Community
theeddie

As we say goodbye to plastic straws here are the straws that will be available soon on all the ships from most of the bars

Get ready for the "metal straws are dangerous" posts to this thread.  😒

Just now, joepeka said:

Kind of like don't run with scissors.

My co-worker is one of those "metal straws are dangerous" people. When I use my metal straw at work, at the end of the day, I let her know that my straw has not impaled me (yet).
I purchased a bunch of stainless steel straws with silicone tips on Amazon, in preparation for our May cruise, and really like them.

On the Breeze the only straws offered were the sugar straws for frozen drinks. No paper straws. They did have the ones above for sale. 

So Carnival quit buying thousands of plastic straws. 
Now they are selling straws for profit. 
LOL Perfect Business Move 

Hilarious ..... 

I packed my metal straws for my previous cruise on the Carnival Breeze, the only thing which I wish I had in my travel pack of metal straws would be a small straw for likes of shorter glasses and then a straw with a bigger capacity to sip thicker consistency drinks (for example a milkshake or iced coffee drink) I have since purchased these type of straws from Amazon for my cruise in May which I hope work but I like the idea of offering these type of straws as the sugar ones are chalky and horrible. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

No straws necessary to enjoy your drinks. 

CA057CB0-4B73-4D34-8C6A-736F2822F492.jpeg

Water, coffee, beer or martini I agree. A frozen drink or anything with ice in it...different story for me.

Edited by Saint Greg

Posted (edited)

I only use straws in frozen drinks.  The sugar straws last about 20 minutes.  I always take more than 20 minutes to drink a frozen beverage.  If you drink it too slowly, the straw starts to wilt and fall apart.  I wonder if they would hold up better if they were frozen.  Anyway, I just forced myself to drink quickly.  For me, it was better than carrying straws with me.  That would be a pain.

I thought that the sugar straws would taste good, but they have very little flavor.  They aren't something I would eat after finishing my drink.

Edited by TNcruising02

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Anything is better than this:

IMG_20191226_212446.jpg

Totally agree.  Useless!

1 hour ago, silvercrikhix said:

Hilarious ..... 

wow, and they thought they had totally fooled everyone until you discovered their plan....or wait....maybe there is another reason....naw you got it. 😎

so i teach at a science museum and we of course teach about resusable stuff and no single use plastics. of course sometimes you can't avoid them. but we have come across paper, sugar, metal, reuseable plastic, pasta straws.

we decided to test them all. and of course the paper and  sugar melted. so we tried freezing them in a regular freezer, freezing them with dry ice, and freezing them with liquid nitrogen. (we sometimes go off on the deep end of a rabbit hole in our curiosity).

freezing them in a regular freezer did make the sugar last longer, but not a whole lot. it didnt make a difference with the paper.

dry ice: sugar lasted even longer. paper lasted less

liquid nitrogen: they both were initially more brittle. but they quickly warmed up and didn't make a difference.

5 hours ago, joepeka said:

I hope not cause that is not the topIc.......if folks think they are dangerous use silicone ones ...Carnival has decided so......

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

Hilarious ..... 

They created their own demand. It's possible they planned it, but I think it's more likely that they just stumbled upon it.

Edited by Organized Chaos

You don't have to buy them from Carnival. I got a 4 pack of similar silicone straws with travel case for $7.

I readily admit to being an over planner.

Everything must be thought of and planned in advance.

Thanks a lot for complicating my planning even more.🤬

5 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

They created their own demand. It's possible they planned it, but I think it's more likely that they just stumbled upon it.

Perhaps they stumbled upon it after their multimillion dollar fines for illegal discharges? Straws are the current politically correct thing to go after right now 😉

4 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

I’m bringing my own plastic ones.  This stuff is stupid.

That will show them

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

That will show them

I don’t think it’s about “showing them.” At least it isn’t for me. It’s just about being able to consume my beverages with a straw that I don’t have to wash and won’t melt or get soggy.

The environmental footprint of a metal straw taking into account ore mining, smelting, converting, trucking and packaging is probably thousand times worse!