Cruise Critic Community
notamermaid

Danube water levels 2020 and similar topics - plus tips and info

I´m not a big fan of the Oktoberfest... But at least we had some Obazdn, Brezen and a Maß beer last night for dinner.

steamboats

I remember you saying that you are not such a fan. The current arrangement of festivities suits you much better then. Obazda - there can hardly be a more traditional Bavarian dinner :classic_smile:.

Have fun and stay safe.

I hope the Isar has got more water than the Danube: Pfelling is at 240cm.

notamermaid

Rain in the right places has made the river at Pfelling rise fast. The gauge now shows 304cm. A rise to 390cm on Sunday is anticipated. It is much cooler than last week and over the weekend the temperature in Bavaria is unlikely to rise above 15 degrees Celsius.

Deutsche Welle has travelled further in the alphabet and under "R" takes us to Regensburg: https://www.dw.com/en/germany-from-a-to-z-regensburg/g-55002129

notamermaid

The few days of rain has done wonders to the level of the Danube in Bavaria. Pfelling peaked at 393cm day before yesterday and is now going quite fast. With the temperature not rising much above 20 degrees Celsius and a bit of rain forecast, it will hopefully stay above the critical level of 290cm.

I have said before that when you start digging in Germany you are likely to find either something Roman, Medieval or a WWII bomb. This news item - a small sensation among German archaeologists - went unnoticed by me during the mad rush towards lock down in March. Archaeologists dug near Regensburg in search of Medieval stuff and found something much older and more spectacular. Oh, but they did find something Medieval as well: https://www.dw.com/en/german-archaeologists-unearth-massive-mammoth-tusk/a-52947985

notamermaid

October is often still a time with low water levels on the Danube in Germany. Let us have a quick look at how the river at Pfelling in Bavaria has been doing in the last months (31 days):

image.png.404d7d212bc42bf4dc8fd886ea33dcb8.png

End of September (19th to 25th) saw the Danube struggling and staying under the line marked with RNW. Figures above that marker of 290cm are good for river cruise ships. The 135m ships start having problems at 290cm, remember the decision for safe sailing lies with the captain, there is no halting of traffic on the Danube in Germany in low water. Figures from MNW denoting "real" low water (266cm) and lower will also cause problems for the shorter ships, always depending on the individual ship's draft. All through October so far the river has stayed at a slightly low but pleasant level above 290cm. After dry Autumns in past years this is something we feared we might not see. Rain has been more plentiful this Summer and Autumn and mostly spread out well over two months.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar