Western Vs Eastern

adamdelaet

I am between Royal’s Liberty of the Seas (going western) and the Carnival Breeze (eastern). I have sailed on Royal Caribbean but not on this class of ships and I have never sailed with carnival before. I will be sailing with my girlfriend and we are in ours 20s so we are looking to be active! 

Liberty of the Seas is going to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatán. 

Carnival Breeze is going to Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. 

The only place I have been to is St. Thomas so I am not familiar with most of these places. The prices are relatively similar with carnival being a bit more expensive. Any insight/opinions/advice would be very helpful for us!

Have done liberty and those islands a few times. Entertainment and activities are Liberty are pretty nice, rock wall , flow rider etc, love there ice show . Really love dolphin encounter at Anthony key in roatan . Cozumel has fun bars with music and restaurants along with some nice beaches. 

Liberty is a great ship with some of the best entertainment at sea.  The main act is a 90 minute production of Saturday Night Fever.  Plus they have Studio B and the ice show is not to be missed.

The 2 ships carry the same number of passengers, but Liberty of the Seas is about 25,000GT larger.  No brainer on that one.

Ref the itineraries, it's 50/50 for me.

So my recommendation would be Liberty.  

This is one of those ship vs. itinerary quandaries. In my opinion Liberty of the Seas is the better ship, but I prefer the Carnival Breeze’s itinerary considerably more. Although I’ve had an enjoyable time both in Cozumel and Costa Maya, they’ve both become too commercialized and overrun  with chain stores and too many cruise passengers. 

On the Breeze’s itinerary, Amber Cove is the gateway to the attractions along the north coast of the Dominican Republic, Grand Turk provides a relaxing beach day, and San Juan is without a doubt, one of the most fascinating and diverse ports in all the Caribbean, with its beaches, rainforests, colonial architecture and history, as well as big city nightlife. And since you’ve been to St. Thomas, you can always take a day trip

to neighboring St. John and get a little taste of paradise. 

So ask yourself what’s more important to you, ship or itinerary. If it were me, I’d go with the better itinerary. The Liberty’s itinerary is sadly underwhelming. 

Edited by Tapi

Liberty is the better ship, and cruise line IMO, but we prefer eastern caribbean.  Still, I would go for the better ship, Liberty.  You will still have fun on either itinerary.  If you do western, check out Cozumel Bar Hop in Cozumel.  It's amazing!   You tour and bar hop on the "other side" of the island, and it's amazing.  We will do it again someday.

I wanted to add one more thing. Even though I consider Liberty of the Seas to be the better ship, the Carnival Breeze is still a very nice and fairly modern ship. Because of that, I’d be more inclined to base my decision on itinerary. 

But if you were choosing between the Liberty and a dingy, older rust bucket with a better itinerary, then I’d definitely sacrifice the itinerary in favor of the better ship. 

Edited by Tapi