Port shuttle buses

earn

We are sailing from Buenos Aires mid Feb, taking in ports in Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.  Can someone please tell us if the busses provided by Azamara drop you off somewhere useful.  Particularly interested in the bus in to Rio de Janeiro.  Also how early do they start?  Thanks

7 hours ago, earn said:

We are sailing from Buenos Aires mid Feb, taking in ports in Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.  Can someone please tell us if the busses provided by Azamara drop you off somewhere useful.  Particularly interested in the bus in to Rio de Janeiro.  Also how early do they start?  Thanks

A few years ago shuttles were not provided in Rio we had to use local Taxis, not sure if that is still the case.

We are sailing on Azamara Journey in New Zealand next month.  I emailed Azamara about shuttle bus service for the ports we will be visiting.  I was told by them that they only offer shuttle service in Europe.  

1 hour ago, abatlin said:

We are sailing on Azamara Journey in New Zealand next month.  I emailed Azamara about shuttle bus service for the ports we will be visiting.  I was told by them that they only offer shuttle service in Europe.  

That is not correct. I have been on shuttles in Australia and in South America. 

3 hours ago, abatlin said:

I think the port authorities in New Zealand provides shuttles in some ports, - especially if they are combined industrial. 

In February 2018 shuttles were provided in Dunedin, Picton and Napier. Other ports of call on that cruise did not require shuttle buses as they were either tender ports, or we were docked within a short walk to the town or main local sights.

There were no shuttle buses last week in Rio, off the Pursuit.  About 3 million people offering taxis tho!  

We had a private guide meet us there at the port, so not an issue. 

There is a tram stop right there, but don’t ask me where it goes - could be worth looking into.   

None of the ports provided any transportation in Brazil.  

Montevideo, the ship docks right in town - so don’t need one. 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:11 PM, earn said:

Unfortunately there are no shuttle buses in Rio. We do not dock in the center of the town. You have to walk a long, boring street to come to the Main Street. I think that there should be a shuttle bus in this city at least up to the beginning of the Main Street.

On 1/4/2020 at 8:11 PM, earn said:

In Uruguay ( Montevideo and Punta del Este) there are also no shuttle buses. However both cities are easy to walk. In the only port where there was a shuttle was in Santos. This bus took us to a mall.

8 hours ago, veggieonboard said:

I am trying to find out about shuttle buses in Port Chalmers to Dunedin, any help appreciated we sail on Feb 8th, arrive on a Saturday in PC, so hope we can easily get a shuttle as we have a trip planned from station. 

We were docked at Port Chalmers on Sunday January 13 2019 from 9am to 6pm.

A complimentary shuttle bus was provided every half hour from Port Chalmers to The Octagon (drop off point) in Dunedin between 9am and 4pm (last shuttle back from Dunedin). The ride is about 30 minutes, depending of course on traffic.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

We were docked at Port Chalmers on Sunday January 13 2019 from 9am to 6pm.

A complimentary shuttle bus was provided every half hour from Port Chalmers to The Octagon (drop off point) in Dunedin between 9am and 4pm (last shuttle back from Dunedin). The ride is about 30 minutes, depending of course on traffic.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks so much was that organised by Azamara or the Port? We need to be in town for 10.30, so thanks so much, yes looking forward to the cruise never been to NZ or Australia, I hope you are not affected by the fires, xx

12 hours ago, spiritoftravel said:

Thanks so much was that organised by Azamara or the Port? We need to be in town for 10.30, so thanks so much, yes looking forward to the cruise never been to NZ or Australia, I hope you are not affected by the fires, xx

Port shuttles are arranged by Azamara in conjunction with local operators who provide buses and drivers.

Information is posted in the daily "Insider" delivered to your stateroom each evening for the following day.

We did a similar cruise earlier and had an overnight at Port Chalmers. On that occasion shuttles ran from half an hour after arrival until 8pm on the first day and from 9am to 5.30pm (an hour before departure) on the second day (arriving back at the ship half an hour before sailing).

Thanks for your concern re. fires. We are o.k. although have had fire fronts 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 kilometres (a little over half a mile to around 3 miles) from us. It looks like the worst is over near us and we are about ready to take outdoor furniture back outdoors and unpack food, clothes & documents from the car where they have been for the past few weeks. 😊

32 minutes ago, GACRUISER456 said:

We are looking at an Iberian cruise with stops at Cartagena, Valencia, and Malaga. Does Azamara dock walking distance to town or do they typically have shuttles at these ports?

Shuttles have always be provided into town in our experience, Valencia port in particular is a good distance from the center.

Edited by Bloodaxe

52 minutes ago, GACRUISER456 said:

We are looking at an Iberian cruise with stops at Cartagena, Valencia, and Malaga. Does Azamara dock walking distance to town or do they typically have shuttles at these ports?

In May, when we docked in Malaga, we were right in town so no shuttles needs.  As Bloodaxe said Azamara provided a shuttle in Valencia (about a 15 minute ride) which left us in a great location to walk around.  If you want to look at it on a map the shuttle drop off/pick up was near the Torres de Serranos -- on the outer part of the old riverbed which is now a park, as the buses can't fit into the old city areas.

Edited by mchell810

5 hours ago, GACRUISER456 said:

As has already been said, shuttles are provided for Valencia. No shuttle is required in either Malaga or Cartagena, as the ship is within easy walking distance of the town in both ports.

Enjoy your cruise!

20 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

As has already been said, shuttles are provided for Valencia. No shuttle is required in either Malaga or Cartagena, as the ship is within easy walking distance of the town in both ports.

Enjoy your cruise!

That's not always the case, we have also seen shuttles used in Malaga and Cartagena, it may depend on docking locations.

Edited by Bloodaxe

5 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

That's not always the case, we have also seen shuttles used in Malaga and Cartagena, it may depend on docking locations.

I stand corrected, perhaps I should have said in my experience of two calls to Cartagena and numerous calls to Malaga . . . .