Holland-America New Ships

zundert565

7 hours ago, MaisonRose said:

Has anyone noticed that Celebrity’s sound track for their current TV ads is a drug tune 

by Jefferson Airplane: White Rabbit🤪..now what’s the message there?

Please, this is such as silly topic.

That song has had continued popularity since it was first released. It's considered a classic. And Celebrity chose it to as a way to illustrate that their new Edge class ships will transport you to a different place -- not by drugs but by the onboard experience. They are using the song as not a literal but a metaphorical reference. 

Have you ever used or heard the phrase "mind-blowing"?  Well, it too originated during the same era to describe the type of experience one got from using LSD.  Now it is used to describe just about anything that's hard to wrap your mind around. When you hear someone use it (or use it yourself) do you mean to reference a drug culture? I think not. The meaning has evolved to encompass much more..... just like the song.

I don't remember people complaining the same way about RCCL's use of "Lust for Life"?  

"Here comes Johnny Yen again
With the liquor and drugs
And the flesh machine
He's gonna do another striptease
Hey man where'd you get that lotion?"  

(and so on)

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, esimon said:

the fact that so many of you will not attend these venues will only make more room for me 🙂  I'll take ear plugs in case - yes it's loud but not enough to keep  me away.   

Oh yes.  Couldn't agree more.  You won't need earplugs.  The RSRR was the highlight of our pre-xmas cruise.  I was 18 again.  It was magnificent.  My  husband and I and our 18 year old daughter had so much fun.  I sat right in front of the speakers and it didn't phase me a bit.  I feel the need to post this again.  

7ed29ec51d2d3343a310d2c8bb699a13.jpg

Edited by sprockie
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, leerathje said:

Are you sure?  On the Koningsdam last January, and I thought they were wearing in-ear monitors. Completely different than ear plugs.

L.

Yes. Most performers are switching to in-ears.  Besides keeping stage levels down and preventing feedback, many modern digital mixing boards have provisions for remote mixing by smartphones or tablets to provide custom mixes to be sent to an individual’s IEM

13 hours ago, sprockie said:

That's correct.  They are in ear monitors.  A band member from the RSRR told me.

Please READ the internet for information BEFORE you mentioned in-ear-monitors {IEMs). Herewith is info DIRECTLY from the internet!!!  NOTE the 'incredible' noise reduction!!!

In-Ear Monitors (IEMs} reduce volume of stage instruments and block out noise. According to the wiki definition they decrease the overall volume onstage somewhere between 26 and 34 decibels of noise reduction!!! This means that loud onstage instruments, such as drum kit or large 8x10" guitar stacks, are less likely to cause hearing damage for onstage musicians wearing IEMs.

Chris Martin, Bono, The Edge, Sting...just to name a few use the In-Ear monitors for every gig.

1 hour ago, zundert565 said:

Please READ the internet for information BEFORE you mentioned in-ear-monitors {IEMs). Herewith is info DIRECTLY from the internet!!!  NOTE the 'incredible' noise reduction!!!

In-Ear Monitors (IEMs} reduce volume of stage instruments and block out noise. According to the wiki definition they decrease the overall volume onstage somewhere between 26 and 34 decibels of noise reduction!!! This means that loud onstage instruments, such as drum kit or large 8x10" guitar stacks, are less likely to cause hearing damage for onstage musicians wearing IEMs.

Chris Martin, Bono, The Edge, Sting...just to name a few use the In-Ear monitors for every gig.

Yes, you should read the internet.... (read the internet??)  If you did read the internet, you would find out that in-ear monitors are used for A LOT more than noise reduction.  As a matter of fact, I'm providing a link directly to Wikipedia.  Here's the first two sentences:

In-ear monitors (IEMs) are devices used by musicians, audio engineers, and audiophiles, to listen to music or to hear a personal mix of vocals and stage instrumentation for live performance or recording studio mixing. They are also used by television presenters in order to receive vocal instructions, info, and breaking news announcement from a producer that only the presenter hears.

In-ear monitors have many, many uses besides blocking noise, which is why so many people, including all the artists that you named, and the news broadcasters do too. Evern seen a broadcaster touch his ear, and then say ther's breaking news, or whatever?  it's because they are wearing an in-ear monitor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-ear_monitor

L.

• Like 1

My wife and I will only cruise on the Koningsdam and New Statendam because they feature both the BB King and Rolling Stone venues.

We have had no problem with the sound level on either of our last two cruises and found the sound level considerably lower than recent on-land concerts we've been to.

Both venues were full with no open seats throughout our recent December cruise. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sprockie said:

Oh yes.  Couldn't agree more.  You won't need earplugs.  The RSRR was the highlight of our pre-xmas cruise.  I was 18 again.  It was magnificent.  My  husband and I and our 18 year old daughter had so much fun.  I sat right in front of the speakers and it didn't phase me a bit.  I feel the need to post this again.  

7ed29ec51d2d3343a310d2c8bb699a13.jpg

I will admit I am eighty.  However when I was 16, Rock and Roll came on the scene.  I did not like it then and I was Young.

14 hours ago, OmarOak said:

My wife and I will only cruise on the Koningsdam and New Statendam because they feature both the BB King and Rolling Stone venues.

We have had no problem with the sound level on either of our last two cruises and found the sound level considerably lower than recent on-land concerts we've been to.

Both venues were full with no open seats throughout our recent December cruise. 

I like the music, too.  But in all fairness, the venues are small for these groups, considering the number of passengers.  In a way, it's good that the music is on the loud side, as people then do tend to come and go, so space opens up for newcomers. 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:58 PM, zundert565 said:

On recent HAL cruises, we experienced ear-deafening show music & singer volume. Also the B&R

bands were blasting their music so loud that we had to leave the areas.

Any cruisers having the same experience or are we, seniors, perhaps too sensitive?

We were on 2 cruises lately that had earth shattering music. I believe it's called EDM, Electronic Dance Music. We were on the MSC Seaside in the fall of 2018 and we couldn't get away from it, they had a huge atrium with a DJ playing this crap all day long, we could even hear it while dining in the MDR. This past summer on the Celebrity Equinox it was more of the same, people were constantly complaining but nothing was done. The rest of the cruise was so great that we sailed on the Equinox again right before Hurricane Dorian was just off the coast of Florida, I guess Celebrity got the message and the music on that cruise was just loud enough to hear, we finally could have discussions with others while having a pre-dinner cocktail in the Atrium. 

We also sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam right before she had the azipod problems and the music was just about right in selection and loudness, yes it was loud in BB Kings but that was to be expected and I like the music. As I said the music was great until the last 2 days when someone decided it was time for EDM music in the Lido buffet and main pool area. Nothing is worse than for us than having breakfast while having to listen to to that junk at an unbearable level.. We are early risers and are usually the first passengers to have hopefully a quiet breakfast in the Lido, I complained to one of the buffet managers and the music was turned down.

BTW, I started a similar thread on the Celebrity boards after our summer cruise and about 95% agreed with me. It turned out too be very long discussion, about 10 pages.

Edited by MISTER 67

On 1/20/2020 at 6:23 PM, leerathje said:

Yes, you should read the internet.... (read the internet??)  If you did read the internet, you would find out that in-ear monitors are used for A LOT more than noise reduction.  As a matter of fact, I'm providing a link directly to Wikipedia.  Here's the first two sentences:

In-ear monitors (IEMs) are devices used by musicians, audio engineers, and audiophiles, to listen to music or to hear a personal mix of vocals and stage instrumentation for live performance or recording studio mixing. They are also used by television presenters in order to receive vocal instructions, info, and breaking news announcement from a producer that only the presenter hears.

In-ear monitors have many, many uses besides blocking noise, which is why so many people, including all the artists that you named, and the news broadcasters do too. Evern seen a broadcaster touch his ear, and then say ther's breaking news, or whatever?  it's because they are wearing an in-ear monitor!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-ear_monitor

L.

The point is: The music sound is at BLASTING level and IEM's are used for ALL things you listed but you FAILED to mention the Db reduction that these IEM's provide - it DOES protect the hearing of whomever wears these but DOES NOT protect the hearing of the audience.

1 hour ago, zundert565 said:

The point is: The music sound is at BLASTING level and IEM's are used for ALL things you listed but you FAILED to mention the Db reduction that these IEM's provide - it DOES protect the hearing of whomever wears these but DOES NOT protect the hearing of the audience.

Musicians listen to music much more than we do...some musical artists will perform 200 times a year...much more than what we will listen to on a 14 day cruise.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes. I happened to really enjoy BB Kings and RSRC and don't have a problem with the volume. Obviously you do. Did you try to sit upstairs?

L.

• Like 1

Well, I'm only in my 40s and I don't think the music is too loud at all.  In fact, I thought the music in Billboard sounded weak on my last 2 HAL cruises.

My complaint about HAL's entertainment choices is that they do not provide an evening alternative.  Just put a solo pianist in the Ocean Bar or a solo guitarist in the Crows Nest and I'll be happy.  I love the rock bands, but not every single night.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, zundert565 said:

"Blasting", as you call it, is subjective.  What you may consider blasting, others may not.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ear monitors are critical for musicians and vocalists.   When you are standing a few feet in front of a huge drum kit or a 6 ft Marshall stack, as a vocalist, you need to hear the proper mix of the band and possibly another vocalist that you are harmonizing with.   You can't do that without monitors in both ears.   Yes, it does reduce the sound level of the band, but the primary purpose is so you can hear the proper mix of the other musicians so you don't go off time.  

• Like 3

On 1/5/2020 at 7:59 AM, Nymich said:

I am really surprised that it has taken this long for so many HAL loyalists to see.  BB Kings has been open since 2013.

I knew when BB opened and the first time I saw an All Star Band that it was a Game Changer for HAL and would create an almost complete turnover of the client base.  Those people who were attracted to the ballroom dancing were not going to stay for this.  What was sad was watching some of them trying desperately to ballroom dance to the blues and Motown being played in BB Kings.  They were desperately trying to hang on to the experience they had enjoyed for so many years and it looked awkward...…..at best.

Yes BB Kings is fairly loud but the RS Rock Room was much louder.  

We are 68 and 71. We love the new boardwalk of music. Online thing is they start too late for us now. They still have the Lincoln Stage for those who like classical music.