Cruise Critic Community
P.A.

Not sure which travel ins I should go with

We've taken many cruises and I normally get the cruise line ins. We're platinum members with Princess so we get upgraded to the best policy for the price of the cheaper one.Thankfully I have never had to use it. But now I have a dilemma on which one I should go with.

We usually use Southwest Airlines for our air, but for this next cruise we are on a repositioning cruise that disembarks in Vancouver, BC which SW doesn't service. So I booked American Airlines. I like SW because first off..I used to work for them, and secondly..because you can make changes and cancellations without penalty or cost and no bag fees. We are spoiled!!  So the cruiseline ins has been sufficient. But now that we're booked with AA, if we need to change or cancel we're just out that money or pay an enormous change fee. So now I am thinking I need to get an outside travel ins policy. We're also staying 3 nights before the cruise in an AirBnb and getting a rental car.

Should I go with the cruiseline ins for the cruise portion and get travel ins for the other or just bite the bullet and spend more to get one policy? And I might mention that we are outside of the 21 days so unfortunately we won't qualify for the pre-existing portion.

Your thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.😊

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, P.A. said:

Your thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.😊

I am not sure if you are going to get many responses here because there are too many unknowns for your specific situation.  The best advice is to call a good insurance broker and get advice tailored to your needs.  It does not cost extra to purchase from a broker and the advice can be very helpful.  I can recommend tripinsurancestore.com, and many people on this forum have also had good luck with insuremytrip.com.

That said, here are a few comments and things to consider before you call:

• Do you have good medical insurance that will cover you out of the USA?  How about evacuation insurance?
  • Princess Platinum offers limited medical coverage (20K) and evacuation (50K) coverage, so I am always hesitant to recommend Princess Platinum, unless you have other medical and possibly evacuation coverage.
  • Do you really need Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage?  Princess is good for this if you are happy with a credit. But it won't cover some of the other expenses you mention (air, and AirBnb). Third party CFAR coverage can be expensive and typically refunds only 75% - in cash. It will coved the other non Princess items.
  • What are your ages?  Princess coverage is not based on age, but third party plans are.  If you don't need CFAR coverage, most people can find better third party coverage than Princess at a lower cost.  Once you reach a certain age, the third party coverage may be better, but the cost can be higher.
  • Do you have pre-existing conditions?  Princess will not give you a cash back if you cancel due to a pre-existing condition, so you need CFAR.  Many third party plans will waive pre-existing conditions if you meet their requirements.  As you say, some plans require purchase within 21 (or less) days after initial payment, but others only require purchase by final payment date. So you may not be too late.

You should be able to find several choices that will meet your needs. Good luck. 

Edited by Jersey42

Thank you Jersey42 for that information👍

My thoughts.

Your over thinking things here. The major reason to purchase insurance is to ensure you don't end up in financial distress. You pay a little to protect you against a lot of loss $$$$$$.

In the minutest possibility that you have to change your flights and pay a few (maybe) hundred dollars, is that going to put you in financial distress? I make changes to my flights quit a bit. Very often, the prices of the flights have dropped and I get a refund for the new price. Is it even a remote possibility that you have bitten into the Southwest marketing ploy.

Also, check your credit card and your auto insurance. You may have rental coverage thru one or both of them.

In my opinion, there are many reasons not to go with cruise line insurance. Your concerns are not any of them.

10 hours ago, klfrodo said:

My thoughts.

Your over thinking things here. The major reason to purchase insurance is to ensure you don't end up in financial distress. You pay a little to protect you against a lot of loss $$$$$$.

In the minutest possibility that you have to change your flights and pay a few (maybe) hundred dollars, is that going to put you in financial distress? I make changes to my flights quit a bit. Very often, the prices of the flights have dropped and I get a refund for the new price. Is it even a remote possibility that you have bitten into the Southwest marketing ploy.

Also, check your credit card and your auto insurance. You may have rental coverage thru one or both of them.

In my opinion, there are many reasons not to go with cruise line insurance. Your concerns are not any of them.

I appreciate your input. However, When my trip may wind up costing me approx $3500..that to me is a lot of money to possibly loose. I wish I had thousands laying around to just "gamble" with.😏

If you have USAA they have a travel insurance with great rates!