Norwegian Star Engine Problem Questions

danny8826

Hi,

We are booked on the Norwegian for December of this year.

We heard that the ship has been having engine problems and are skipping ports.  

I know our cruise is a bit far away, but should be we worry?  Will they fix this issue soon?

Thank you,

Danny

Star is scheduled for repairs in April - TA was moved up 10 days to allow time for whatever it is that needs fixin.  Lots of rumors - skipped ports may be a mixture of many things, including weather or conflicts at the ports.  Some report she's limping along, others say she is fully functional.  Nobody except NCL knows the true situation and at this time, they ain't talking.

7 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Star is scheduled for repairs in April - TA was moved up 10 days to allow time for whatever it is that needs fixin.  Lots of rumors - skipped ports may be a mixture of many things, including weather or conflicts at the ports.  Some report she's limping along, others say she is fully functional.  Nobody except NCL knows the true situation and at this time, they ain't talking.

2 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

The movement of the TA indicates them making a window for repair. Though it hasn't been announced yet. Won't know it's fixed until we know for sure when it's being repaired. 

Thank you for the info.

Danny

• 1 month later...

hate to be the bearer of bad news. we were on the star 3 years ago,and they had the same mechanical problems. we are taking the march 14th cruise, and as i understand it, 2 of the ports have been cancelled as the same problems still exist. since one of theports was grand stirrup caye, i'mnot overly upset, but we now have a bunch of sea days

Problem is three fold:

Number one:  finding a port (drydock) to fix the repairs needed on a suitable schedule

Number two: engine problem - STAR has 4 engines one is down or of limited use this affecting the full function

of the ships speed and all electrical activity on the ship - full speed less electrical for ships function - less speed

and full operation of electrical needs

Number three: the propulsion (azipods) require a great deal of electricity from the engines to operate at full speed.

reducing the electricity speed between ports of call may require missing a port to maintain the rest of the itinerary

on time and weather conditions also factoring in.

NCL has moved the cruise schedule of the STAR to meet these requirements and substituted the DAWN in its place

for the more port time intensified itinerary - better this than an out right cancel until the fix is made.

Still no idea or word from NCL about the repairs to take place - there was a video posted a while back showing

an engine repair requiring cutting a hole in the side of a ship to replace an engine part (it looked like a crankshaft)

a heavy part that required the utmost care in movement through that hole cut in the ship and into place and then

the removal of the defective part sealing welding the hole to watertight standard.

Went looking and found the LINK:

https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/watching-crew-remove-replace-7-5-ton-cruise-ship-engine-crankshaft-amazing/

Grab the popcorn and enjoy.

I don't know if the engine part is a crankshaft or some other part that the STAR needs replacing fixing and will be

as labor intensive ???

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

we were on the star 3 years ago,and they had the same mechanical problems.

No, they did not.  The problem 3 years ago was with the azipods, not the diesel generators.

Unless they are going to remove the entire diesel engine, a drydock is not required, merely some time at a "wet berth" in a shipyard facility.  In-water work is much easier to schedule than a drydock.  I believe the issue is more lead time for the part than a drydock schedule issue.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Time to retire the Star, even when it functioned OK, it had one of the worst layouts of any cruise ship we have been on.

Sorry but i disagree we love the star x the size of the ship and especially the layout . She is a bit like "marmite" though , you love her or hate her , but it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things . 

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No, they did not.  The problem 3 years ago was with the azipods, not the diesel generators.

Unless they are going to remove the entire diesel engine, a drydock is not required, merely some time at a "wet berth" in a shipyard facility.  In-water work is much easier to schedule than a drydock.  I believe the issue is more lead time for the part than a drydock schedule issue.

Thank You for the clarification "wet berth" versus drydock repairs -

still nothing in the news about what the actual engine deficiency is.

What is suspect is of an electrical nature.

The STAR is able to cruise but is not up to full speed running all the electrics this all at the same time -

aye Captain ya can't have hot breakfast and full speed /s/ Scotty engineering  LOL !

1 hour ago, june123 said:

Sorry but i disagree we love the star x the size of the ship and especially the layout . She is a bit like "marmite" though , you love her or hate her , but it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things . 

This is what makes each ship unique and interesting - not one size fits all made from the same cookie cutter.

Thanks for your input and info.

The latest reviews are not so good from cruisers so we have decided to cancel this cruise and we have book the Celebrity Silhouette which does the reverse route from Santiago to Buenos Aires. 

It's not a cheap cruise from either cruise line.  I can't justify to pay so much to skip ports. 

27 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

What is suspect is of an electrical nature.

The STAR is able to cruise but is not up to full speed running all the electrics this all at the same time -

I can only go with statements from people who have been onboard when the problem started, and the Captain stated it was a problem with one of the diesel engines.  Without a diesel engine to drive the generator, you don't generate electricity to power the propulsion.  So, it is not necessarily "of an electrical nature", as a mechanical problem with the engine (like a crankshaft as you mention earlier) can affect the generation of electricity to power the ship.

• Like 1

Very discouraging to read these reviews so that is our reason to switch cruise line.

Our cruise line choice is Royal Caribbean but too bad, they do not go to South America. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=198

20 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

Very discouraging to read these reviews so that is our reason to switch cruise line.

Switching cruise lines because of bad reviews on one ship out of a dozen?  The issues that ship is currently experiencing are well-documented on this forum, including suggestions as to why it's taking so long to resolve.  Hardly a reason to abandon an entire company's product, but to each their own.

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

Switching cruise lines because of bad reviews on one ship out of a dozen?  The issues that ship is currently experiencing are well-documented on this forum, including suggestions as to why it's taking so long to resolve.  Hardly a reason to abandon an entire company's product, but to each their own.

I take all negative reviews with a grain of salt.  

14 minutes ago, hallux said:

I pay to visit places.  I didn't pay to skip ports.

1 minute ago, danny8826 said:

I pay to visit places.  I didn't pay to skip ports.

That's fair, but if any place is a MUST VISIT, go there specifically.  Every. Single. Cruise. Contract. allows for port cancellations so it's a possibility regardless of what line you're on.

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

That's fair, but if any place is a MUST VISIT, go there specifically.  Every. Single. Cruise. Contract. allows for port cancellations so it's a possibility regardless of what line you're on.

True, but the likelihood of this particular Norwegian STAR to cancel ports is a much higher possibility.

Just now, danny8826 said:

True, but the likelihood of this particular Norwegian STAR to cancel ports is a much higher possibility.

In this instance and until it's fixed. Just like Royal's Allure has canceled ports and rescheduled for almost a year in total. Not to mention that then caused them to adjust schedules on several other of their ships. It's not a NCL-only problem. 

3 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

In this instance and until it's fixed. Just like Royal's Allure has canceled ports and rescheduled for almost a year in total. Not to mention that then caused them to adjust schedules on several other of their ships. It's not a NCL-only problem. 

I didn't say it is. 

2 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

I didn't say it is. 

You said 

1 hour ago, danny8826 said:

Our cruise line choice is Royal Caribbean but too bad, they do not go to South America. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=198

I was merely pointing out that your preferred line Royal Caribbean has also recently had to cancel and reschedule ports due to a ship having issues. And the Allure has had issues for much longer than Star has. 

2 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

You said 

I was merely pointing out that your preferred line Royal Caribbean has also recently had to cancel and reschedule ports due to a ship having issues. And the Allure has had issues for much longer than Star has. 

I haven't sail on her so I can't comment on that, but if I'm aware of an issue, I wouldn't sail on it regardless of which ship and in this case, it's the STAR.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Yea - like the time a cruise (not NCL) scheduled from San Diego to Mexico went to San Francisco instead, because of weather.  Talk about a complete itinerary change at the last minute!

I wasn't on that cruise but I was boarding a Panama Canal cruise at the same time - we missed mexico because of that pesky hurricane but everything else was good.

15 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Yea - like the time a cruise (not NCL) scheduled from San Diego to Mexico went to San Francisco instead, because of weather.  Talk about a complete itinerary change at the last minute!

I wasn't on that cruise but I was boarding a Panama Canal cruise at the same time - we missed mexico because of that pesky hurricane but everything else was good.

If it's Mother Nature, there's nothing you can do about it. 

But with an engine problem/issue, they should fix it.  They didn't want to fix it because they will loose revenues when the ship is not sailing.  That's the bottom line.