Puerto Vallarta - Yelapa & Majahuitas: Beach, Snorkeling, and Waterfall

tulipcityfamily

Looking for assistance, as we normally sail the Caribbean ports. I am looking at the Carnival Puerto Vallarta excursion called Yelapa & Majahuitas: Beach, Snorkeling, and Waterfall. Has anyone done this excursion? If so how was it? It has good reviews on Carnival site. We sail mid March, so I am hoping the water is warm too. Since the excursion is 9:30 - 3:30 and we sail at 8pm, I am also hoping to get down to Melancon. Is there sill plenty of time to do this after we get back?

As you say there are lots of good reviews so folks seem to like that excursion.

IF the ship sails at 8PM all aboard time would be around 7 or 7:30.

If you get back to the ship at 3:30 or 4(sometimes things run late) you'd need to change and then take a taxi back to the malecon for part of the evening.

For me the excursion would be enough and I'd just get ready for dinner on board but of course you have time to do more if you like.

Edited by riffatsea

I did this excursion through HAL in March 2015. We had a beautiful day. Yelapa was very “tropical” looking and charming. I showed the pictures at work and a colleague immediately booked a flight to PV to visit there based on the pictures.

The water below the falls was warm. I did not go snorkeling at the place we stopped on the way over as I had gotten really chilled snorkeling a few days before in Cabo. (Others did not have the same issue.) There were a number of tiny jellyfish in the water and many snorkeled did get stung.

We did this excursion in December 2015. The water was cool for snorkeling but not uncomfortable. They also had a couple kayaks to paddle around. The walk to the falls was too steep for my senior mom to tackle. I was 59 at the time and had no problems. It was a beautiful walk! As Tioga said above, Yelapa offers a tropical stroll through the quaint village. The beach had several shops and a restaurant/bar for refreshments. We were very satisfied with the excursion and highly recommended. If you do the cruise again in the future, Las Caletas is a wonderful excursion!

We visited Yelapa while staying in PV, and although tourists go daily, it is a bit off the beaten path. We didn't find it charming, but you'd have to experience it yourself.

Agree with Las Caletas for a beach excursion.

After returning take some time to explore the Malecon along the south side of PV and walk the Romantic Zone during the evening. We enjoy stopping in to Por Favor for a drink and having dinner at one of the excellent small restaurants. One of our favorites is Tony's Please. We would never return to the ship for dinner when in port late enough to experience the cuisine there...

Our very favorite excursion was the Rhythms of the night at Las Caletas - great dinner and drinks on the beach followed by a wonderful show. The ambiance and costumed staff really make this a great experience. We will take friends when we return.

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

Have been going to Vallarta for 20 years, all but one as a resort visitor.  I'm not sure trying to do both activities would be the best plan. If this is your first visit to Vallarta, I would do one or the other but not both.

Vallarta Adventures should be the excursion provider and they always provide a first class experience.  The Yelapa  excursion is allot of fun but I am a little concerned about the time of year. March is near the tail end of the dry season. The Yelapa waterfall my be a dribble.  Waters on the Mexican Pacific coast are not like the Caribbean. They are a little cooler and less clear. Just know that snorkeling in Bandaras Bay is OK but it isn't Hawaii or the Caribbean. The beaches on the south shore are beautiful and the boat ride (both ways) are very entertaining. 

Vallarta, itself, deserves a whole day, especially if you have never been there before.

Enjoy . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Here’s some photos from our land vacation to PV this last August. I just want to mention that we booked Vallarta Adventures. Fine Company, have used them for Zip Lines, other boat excursions etc through the years. Several other V.A. Excursions also came by to this Beach. One was a nice catamaran with just a minimal number if folks aboard. I remember I read about this option. The brochure made it appear you’d be going to kinda private place. Anyway, just wanted to mention it. We had a nice few hours.

There is NO WiFi, a teeny “store” with some chips n sodas, bathing suits, towels, sandals, water socks. I brought a few Red Bull’s, as we don’t drink alcohol. They didn’t sell any. 
  🙂🙂

Bobbi & Ken 

40F218ED-F682-442E-B220-F32B5BD20F4B.jpeg

C67F06AE-EA9A-498A-83B6-11F00F84E2BD.jpeg

E596F6C2-362A-445F-B759-B9933460A71D.jpeg

65AB7AE6-A2D9-45C0-A1DF-62D256CF6DB0.jpeg