Cruise Critic Community
RA-Travelbug

Amsterdam Pre-Cruise questions

19 hours ago, Ine said:

What day will that be? You probably can check the locations on the website of the cruiseterminal Amsterdam.

https://www.ptamsterdam.com/cruise-calender/#

In general Jewel will dock there, but location of riverships  is often not that far away. However riverships have more docks in Amsterdam. 

We are disembarking Jewel on 9/1/21, same day as embarkation on Viking for Grand European tour.  Hopefully all works out and should go smoothly without having to "hotel it" inbetween.  😉 

And thanks for the link, though did not show location of docking for either cruise.  Oh well, can't be too far apart I should think.  🙂 

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, island lady said:

We are disembarking Jewel on 9/1/21, same day as embarkation on Viking for Grand European tour.  Hopefully all works out and should go smoothly without having to "hotel it" inbetween.  😉 

And thanks for the link, though did not show location of docking for either cruise.  Oh well, can't be too far apart I should think.  🙂 

It shows the Jewel and also the Brilliance on that day. Nothing yet for the rivercruises. It simply is too far out. Where ever the rivership will dock it cannot be extreme far away. Very unlikely you will need a hotel.

33 minutes ago, Ine said:

It shows the Jewel and also the Brilliance on that day. Nothing yet for the rivercruises. It simply is too far out. Where ever the rivership will dock it cannot be extreme far away. Very unlikely you will need a hotel.

Thanks, yes I saw that.  I was joking about the hotel, but poop does happen at times...ie: Viking boat being delayed, mechanical, weather, etc.   Was definitely not planning on spending an overnight in Amsterdam that day. Should work out pretty sweet to just grab a cab, and being already packed...board the Viking directly from Jewel.  😉 

On 2/8/2020 at 1:18 AM, RA-Travelbug said:

Yes, we will book Anne Frank House when we are able to (2 months prior from what we can tell) but that's pretty much all I would want to book for that first day.

In case you or anyone else finds this helpful, I recently bought our tickets on line for the Anne Frank House, and here's my experience:

Tickets go on sale at noon Amsterdam time (on the Anne Frank House web site) on the date that is two months prior.    So tickets for April 2 are released for sale on February 2,  tickets for April 3 are released on February 3, and so on.

I did a few test runs before the date on which I would be able to buy tickets, and, on those dates days at least, it was a good bit past noon before any tickets were loaded onto the Anne Frank House site.  (I never had to wait in an on-line queue, and was refreshing my browsers frequently.)   One day, it was not until 12:10 PM in Amsterdam that any tickets appeared on the site.  I was glad to have had this test experience, because if I'd only gone to the site on the morning I needed to purchase tickets, I would probably have been a bit frantic when none were loaded until 12:30 PM in Amsterdam.   Given my test runs, I just waited patiently and kept refreshing the browser and then, surprise, they finally appeared at 12:30 PM!  

I was buying tickets that included the Introductory Program.  When those tickets first appeared on line, only a handful of time slots were made available.   This is consistent with reports from others.  So if you don't immediately see a time slot that works for you, you can take a chance and wait a little while.  The morning slots went fairly quickly, but not immediately.   It wasn't as though they were all snapped up once they were released.   I can't say what would happen on any other day,  but that was my experience.

Once you put the tickets in your shopping cart, you'll need to have not only your credit card, but you'll also need to "register" with a user name and password.   The former must be at least 6 characters and consist only of letters, numbers, and @.  There were no limits on the password.   Shortly after I'd completed my purchase, I received an email with our tickets.

I suggest doing a few test runs before your actual date of purchase, so you will be familiar with the site and how it operates at noon in Amsterdam.

Good luck, and don't panic if nothing shows up on line exactly at noon in Amsterdam! 

If this process sounds unbelievable, believe it. Demand is that high.  If you want to visit, take the time to do " practice runs" and be ready the day you need to order.