Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PistolPete13

Bliss 1/5/2020 sailing from NYC

Recommended Posts

Wow, the ship is really rocking tonight.  I feel like I'm drunk walking around the buffet to get some late night coffee.

 

Several access panels in the hallway that weren't locked down have been swinging open.  Interesting to see the plumbing behind the panels.

 

There is a thread in the RCCL board with folks all seeing rough conditions down south.

 

I don't remember exactly but I think the Bliss is heading to the Bahamas for a 7-day after we depart and then next week will repeat this 14-day itinerary.  Hopefully the waters will be calmer for you guys. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last sea day today. 

 

I haven’t seen this mentioned yet but if your company uses Microsoft Teams and have the phone feature enabled, you’ll be able to make voice calls using the basic WiFi plan. 

 

I have the basic 250 minute free perk plan.  Down to 33 minutes now.  

 

If nothing else this plan taught me how addicted I am to being online!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Last sea day today. 

 

I haven’t seen this mentioned yet but if your company uses Microsoft Teams and have the phone feature enabled, you’ll be able to make voice calls using the basic WiFi plan. 

 

I have the basic 250 minute free perk plan.  Down to 33 minutes now.  

 

If nothing else this plan taught me how addicted I am to being online!

Have you encountered country music and line dancing in the Q bbq?
Any Zumba?

Latin dancing anywhere?

I booked the Bliss because of dancing opportunities but feedback has been sketchy. We enjoyed non stop fun activities staff on the Gem past October so we booked the Bliss 
Enjoyed your information on your cruise. Many thanks! Excellent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cementhands said:

Have you encountered country music and line dancing in the Q bbq?
Any Zumba?

Latin dancing anywhere?

I booked the Bliss because of dancing opportunities but feedback has been sketchy. We enjoyed non stop fun activities staff on the Gem past October so we booked the Bliss 
Enjoyed your information on your cruise. Many thanks! Excellent!

 

I’ll post all the daily activity sheets next Tuesday when I get back to the office and have access to a scanner.  

 

Keep checking back on this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Wow, the ship is really rocking tonight.  I feel like I'm drunk walking around the buffet to get some late night coffee.

 

Several access panels in the hallway that weren't locked down have been swinging open.  Interesting to see the plumbing behind the panels.

 

There is a thread in the RCCL board with folks all seeing rough conditions down south.

 

I don't remember exactly but I think the Bliss is heading to the Bahamas for a 7-day after we depart and then next week will repeat this 14-day itinerary.  Hopefully the waters will be calmer for you guys. 

 

It's actually a 14 day southern Caribbean next, we're going aboard tomorrow. Looking forward to it! Though from everyone's reports about sea conditions in going to go out and buy dramamine lol.

Edited by Heronymous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strong tail wind should be with the Bliss, nothing too terrible with sea swells or waves. We only worry a little if it is strong Gale force cross wind as it is a mega ship.  Not going to be a smooth cruising for the rest of the way from the weather charts, but ... 

 

Not a serious snow event later today, latest 1 to 3 inches mix w rain, some sleets tonight. Almost 40°F in morning w 20 mph wind gust.  Enjoy the sea day.

 

Outdoors closed or reopened for those braved to sit on the waterfront ? 😬 

 

ETA looks good for getting into NY around 4 am, near Ambrose channel.  Cellular signals starting to get bounced around 15 to 30 minutes before reaching VZB, or about 30 minutes before passing Lady Liberty portside, if you are up ... get out your zoom lens. Then, go back for a little more sleep.

 

 

Collage 2020-01-18 11_10_59.jpg

 

P.S.  about those outdoor furniture on the RC getting tossed, shouldn't crews be alerted to secure them ahead ... 

Edited by mking8288

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Heronymous said:

It's actually a 14 day southern Caribbean next, we're going aboard tomorrow. Looking forward to it! Though from everyone's reports about sea conditions in going to go out and buy dramamine lol.

 

In that case yes, I did see classes for Latin dancing.  I saw line dancing on the pool deck one evening as well. 

 

After lunch I’ll go look over the daily sheets. 

 

Has a code alpha in the atrium this morning.  I guess that means medical issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captain just came on the PA. 

 

We’ve traveled 4400 miles so far, longer than a transatlantic.  Estimated time for under the VZ bridge is 5AM

 

Statue of Liberty?  No thanks.  I’ve taken the Staten Island ferry to work everyday for the last 22 years and see it 2x a day.   Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

 

In that case yes, I did see classes for Latin dancing.  I saw line dancing on the pool deck one evening as well. 

 

After lunch I’ll go look over the daily sheets. 

 

Has a code alpha in the atrium this morning.  I guess that means medical issue?

Code Alpha is a medical emergency

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cementhands said:

Have you encountered country music and line dancing in the Q bbq?
Any Zumba?

Latin dancing anywhere?

 

OK, the only regular dance class is the Bachata Dance class.  Zumba could be part of the gym classes along with spin and boxing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting out on the Waterfront now on deck 8 in my winter jacket and I finally have the place to myself!  The winds aren't that bad and the water is calm.  The sun is even trying to break out.

 

I tried to spend some time in the Observation lounge this morning but it was packed wall to wall.

 

Time to process some more photos.  Close to 4000 taken and I ran out of space on the laptop thanks to trying to take videos for the first time as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for these reports. I have really enjoyed this cruise and we really were lucky with the weather. Right now (10:40 PM) it is very smooth up here on deck 12 in the absolute front of the ship. Big change from yesterday. Had a FaceTime talk with my husband a few minutes ago with the best result of the cruise. Again, FaceTime audio does work with the Unlimited WiFi package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome home, folks ... finally reappeared on AIS, looking good to be docking at Pier 88 by 6 am, still dark. Snow event has changed into rain in the city, some sleets overnight, and warmer on Sunday.

 

How much use did folks get out of the bumper cars & water slides, just curious. 

 

@MLA thanks for reconfirming that FT audio still work.  I know that Skype is good too. Safe trip getting home in the morning. 

Screenshot_20200118-235256.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling into pier 88 right now.  

 

I was one of 4 crazy people outside on 17 while going under the bridge. The wind was something else. 

 

Glad and there is no snow on the sidewalks at least.  No fun dragging luggage on that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No use of the bumper cars or slides for me. I was so “busy” I never even made it up there to even just watch. 

 

A huge waste of prime sundeck space in my opinion. That area was my favorite quiet spot on the Escape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

 

I’ll post all the daily activity sheets next Tuesday when I get back to the office and have access to a scanner.  

 

Keep checking back on this thread. 

Ooh, thank you for doing this for us! I am on the Feb. 2 sailing and I think it's the same itinerary you just did. Would love to see the dailies so I can plan ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Pulling into pier 88 right now.  

 

I was one of 4 crazy people outside on 17 while going under the bridge. The wind was something else. 

 

Glad and there is no snow on the sidewalks at least.  No fun dragging luggage on that!

Welcome back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 5:24 PM, mking8288 said:

 

Absolutely concur.  We're on the Escape last January when "I" noticed the subtle changes, 2 days before it was announced & the Captain declared it, officially as an outbreak ... exceeding the 2% threshold.  Our balcony cabin was on Deck 13 Fwd, walking by the "medical center" next to/beyond the elevators, multiple times a day and seeing 

 

What Pete wrote this morning is pretty much, validation of the earlier proactive practice(s) - quoting

  • "Salt and pepper shakers are being put out in the buffet this morning for the first time all cruise.  The danger of outbreaks must be past or the incubation period will put most of the passengers off the boat so NCL doesn’t care."

Shakers are usually out ... what this implied, there were some suspected cases reported on the previous sailing, below the 2% threshold; and, out of  an abundance of precaution ... vigilant measures were taken.  

 

Once it was officially declared, hand washing before walking into the buffet was enforced as a requirement, before getting sprayed on the hands again by crew members assigned.  It was not voluntary and carried out ... can't say that nobody managed to bypass or sneak thru.  All the "public" access restroom doors were left open with a stopper, etc. 

 

However, none of the MDR or Specialty Restaurants had hand wash sinks nearby - the use of the automated hand sanitizer was urged but difficult to enforce, and there're no washy washy crew on duty ( ... someone will probably comment about the merits of the sanitizer, please don't) 

I’m on the April 12 sailing and thinking of collecting salt and pepper packets and ketchup packets in fast food places to bring with me. I’ll tuck some into a ziplock in my handbag just Incase. 

Edited by ALS1214

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another boat now heading home, the much more mundane Staten Island ferry. 

 

Off the ship by 7:45am but after making announcements for two weeks ever day, not a peep on when we could leave.  

 

Lucky I wandered down to the 7th floor at 7:30 and saw the line of people leaving. And they had to have been going for a while too because the line wound all the way around the main dining room. 

 

On a side note, self embarkation means to have to be carry your luggage a long way. 

 

I have close to 8000 steps on my watch meter after walking to the subway. At least half of that was probably getting off the boat and through customs. 

 

Customs area has one working escalator and maybe two not so large elevators.  They won’t allow use of the stairs for some reason. 

 

CBT was quick as I elected to do the face scan exit.  I didn’t even need to take my passport out. 

 

Time for a rant. If you run out of steam with carrying your luggage, it backs up the line as everyone needs to step over you.  Ok, rant over. Can you tell I’m from NYC?

 

Edited by PistolPete13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ALS1214 said:

I’m on the April 12 sailing and thinking of collecting salt and pepper packets and ketchup packets in fast food places to bring with me. I’ll tuck some into a ziplock in my handbag just Incase. 

 

They will have packets of salt and pepper at the serving stations if the shakers are not distributed on the tables.  It was like this for the first 12 days of this cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

Ooh, thank you for doing this for us! I am on the Feb. 2 sailing and I think it's the same itinerary you just did. Would love to see the dailies so I can plan ahead.

 

I have all the daily’s with me minus the useless advertising junk they stuff in there.  Not very environmentally friendly if you ask me. 

 

The park place art people sent me 3 envelopes with cards in them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another note while I’m still commuting home. As we were getting off around 7:30AM, I saw people already on the opposite line getting on. The had “priority boarding Haven” stickers on.  

 

Talk about being anxious to get on board!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Another note while I’m still commuting home. As we were getting off around 7:30AM, I saw people already on the opposite line getting on. The had “priority boarding Haven” stickers on.  

 

Talk about being anxious to get on board!

Wow, 7:30?  That’s early for boarding!  Maybe in from long air travel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Another note while I’m still commuting home. As we were getting off around 7:30AM, I saw people already on the opposite line getting on. The had “priority boarding Haven” stickers on.  

 

Talk about being anxious to get on board!

 

 

Probably not Haven. I suspect B2B passengers? They announce Haven boarding over the PA in the terminal. And that usually happens around 11:00, but my understanding is B2B are kind of just walked off and right back on again. They were stickers that say "still on vacation" or something like that to get through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

 

 

Probably not Haven. I suspect B2B passengers? They announce Haven boarding over the PA in the terminal. And that usually happens around 11:00, but my understanding is B2B are kind of just walked off and right back on again. They were stickers that say "still on vacation" or something like that to get through.

I believe all "old passengers" need to get off before "new ones" can get on.  Hmmm....2B2 14 day cruises....now that's a vacation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...