Cruise Insurance- Recommendations?

gocrooz

What do you want to insure against?

Myself, for a short holiday like you're describing, I self insure (or don't cover) comprehension (AKA cancellation, trip delay, trip interruption, etc.). However, I do insure for medical and evac.

Many factors involved that we know nothing about. Your age, your health, your financial resources, or even where you reside which can make a big difference.

Most of us do recommend the following places to start though:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

https://www.insuremytrip.com/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gocrooz said:

Senior citizen and it's my understanding medicare does not insure out of the USA.  Good health....from Calif.  Looking for medical and evac insurance. 

This is a good start, but there are still other factors that may impact what you should purchase.  I suggest you call one of the brokers mentioned by klfrodo and get their recommendation.  Based on what you have said, here are some things to consider:

• You are correct that regular medicare does not cover outside of the USA.  Even if you have a supplement (MediGap) that does cover foreign travel, it has a deductible, and a co-pay and a lifetime maximum of $50K. If you have a Medicare Advantage plan (part C) then you need to check your policy.
  • Even if you are in "good health", make sure you understand the term "pre-existing condition" as defined by any travel policy you consider.  You don't want a claim denied because of a pre-existing condition. Plus the rules change on what you need to purchase and when.
  • Assuming you are 1) on regular medicare, 2) have no pre-existing conditions and 3) only want medical and evac for this trip, then there are many plans that will work for you.  Pick one that pays primary medical so you do not have to first file a claim with medicare.  If you have a MediGap policy that covers foreign travel, primary is even more important so you do not lose any of your lifetime maximum. If you use a trip cost of $499, you can save money on the premium and still get the full medical and evacuation coverage.

A good broker can help explain all of this and perhaps offer additional insights and solutions.  

• Like 1