Random questions about my upcoming April canary cruise

Vampiress88

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

On a normal Sunday most of the shops in Santa Cruz are closed, although some of those aimed primarily at tourists are open. There is however, a large street market adjacent to the "mother africa" market. Do not know whether this will be open on Easter Sunday.

I think I might have gotten my dates wrong. We might be there on the Friday instead. Can never remember. 
it’s Lanzarote the Sunday. Maybe

4 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I think I might have gotten my dates wrong. We might be there on the Friday instead. Can never remember. 
it’s Lanzarote the Sunday. Maybe

It is Lanzarote on Easter Sunday and having been there before on a Sunday, there is not much to do.  The normal market stalls and even street traders were absent, and many shops did not open before lunchtime. I doubt it will be much livelier in the rest of the island so maybe not even worth taking a shore excursion.

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It is Lanzarote on Easter Sunday and having been there before on a Sunday, there is not much to do.  The normal market stalls and even street traders were absent, and many shops did not open before lunchtime. I doubt it will be much livelier in the rest of the island so maybe not even worth taking a shore excursion.

Any idea where the shuttle for lanzarote drops you?

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Last time we were there it was in a side street on the outskirts of town, but not far to walk into the centre.

thinking if everything is shut we could just go to the playa de Reducto beach but don’t know how far to walk from where shuttle drops off

13 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

thinking if everything is shut we could just go to the playa de Reducto beach but don’t know how far to walk from where shuttle drops off

We are going to Lanzarote on Oceana in a couple of weeks and are going to do the P&O Playa Blanca on your own trip as it means we don't have the problem of getting into Arrecife if we are berthed too far out and we like Playa Blanca, nice beaches, prom and Marina there, it is only £26 each and probably less for kids.Worth looking at.

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

We are going to Lanzarote on Oceana in a couple of weeks and are going to do the P&O Playa Blanca on your own trip as it means we don't have the problem of getting into Arrecife if we are berthed too far out and we like Playa Blanca, nice beaches, prom and Marina there, it is only £26 each and probably less for kids.Worth looking at.

thank you. Will go have a look now. To be honest this is a budget trip for us. We weren’t supposed to be keeping the cruise as we are going to Florida for 3 weeks but since we were off anyway and it was school holidays we decided to just keep it but try and budget. 
I don’t mind a wander and a cafe but I’m not sure the kids will so that’s why we thought the beach. 

35 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

thank you. Will go have a look now. To be honest this is a budget trip for us. We weren’t supposed to be keeping the cruise as we are going to Florida for 3 weeks but since we were off anyway and it was school holidays we decided to just keep it but try and budget. 
I don’t mind a wander and a cafe but I’m not sure the kids will so that’s why we thought the beach. 

I think there is a similar trip to Puerto del Carmen as well that maybe a bit cheaper as it is nearer buy Playa Blanca is nicer I think.

41 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

There is always the cheaper option of staying on the ship and making the most of the space and (hopefully) sunshine..

You might even get 'that' sunbed that has had a towel on it all week... 😊

Port days can be lovely onboard. 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Have you thought of the Lido in Santa Cruz, Tenerife?   We had a lovely day there in October.  We had planned an excursion but cancelled it thinking we'd be able to watch the World Cup Rugby final on board.  However, that didn't happen so we had to have a re-think about how to spend the day and decided to try the Lido. 

What a lovely day we had!  All for the princely sum of 6 Euros!  That was for entry, two loungers and two umbrellas for the day!!!!!!!  Granted there was a senior reduction but it's still extremely good value and may be of interest for the children.  We walked there and back - just come out of the port turn left and follow the road with the sea on your left and aim for the Concert Hall which is very distinctive - you can't go wrong.  The Lido is just past the Concert Hall.  There's limited drinks and food available on site but the Concert Hall had a nice cafe overlooking the Lido - you might need to think about food/snacks for the children - but it might be an option for you.  No hassle with trips or buses.  just a thought.  Here are some pics.  hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a go. 😊

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1PRFI_enGB728GB734&sxsrf=ACYBGNR2vV9ecl3Q5y7JijiAr4n7ppO7_w:1581069805535&q=lido+santa+cruz+tenerife&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwip1_6AmL_nAhXPTsAKHQPABKYQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1536&bih=722

Not sure if this link will work in English - but even if not, you can see the amenities.  Looks like entry is 2.5E and children under 3 are free. 

https://parquemaritimosantacruz.en/

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1

Sorry, that 2nd link doesn't work - I was trying to pick up the English translation for you - but here is the Spanish version which will give you an idea 

https://parquemaritimosantacruz.es/

P.S. The concert Hall is the futuristic looking building in some of the pics  (reminds me a bit of Sydney Opera House - well loosely!) so you can't miss the area you want.  The cafe there seems popular with locals - walk past the building and turn left round the back - the cafe opens out onto a terrace beyond which is the Lido.  We had coffees there before going to the Lido and something to eat on the way back to the ship.  Seemed reasonable me.  

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Hire a car at the port in Lanzarote for around £35 for the day. Drive to Playa Blanca. 

Thought of that and agree for a family it is a good solution, but for us it 's only £52 minus carib discount about £47 so not much in it for us.

Edited by bee-ess

12 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Have you thought of the Lido in Santa Cruz, Tenerife?   We had a lovely day there in October.  We had planned an excursion but cancelled it thinking we'd be able to watch the World Cup Rugby final on board.  However, that didn't happen so we had to have a re-think about how to spend the day and decided to try the Lido. 

What a lovely day we had!  All for the princely sum of 6 Euros!  That was for entry, two loungers and two umbrellas for the day!!!!!!!  Granted there was a senior reduction but it's still extremely good value and may be of interest for the children.  We walked there and back - just come out of the port turn left and follow the road with the sea on your left and aim for the Concert Hall which is very distinctive - you can't go wrong.  The Lido is just past the Concert Hall.  There's limited drinks and food available on site but the Concert Hall had a nice cafe overlooking the Lido - you might need to think about food/snacks for the children - but it might be an option for you.  No hassle with trips or buses.  just a thought.  Here are some pics.  hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a go. 😊

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1PRFI_enGB728GB734&sxsrf=ACYBGNR2vV9ecl3Q5y7JijiAr4n7ppO7_w:1581069805535&q=lido+santa+cruz+tenerife&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwip1_6AmL_nAhXPTsAKHQPABKYQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1536&bih=722

Not sure if this link will work in English - but even if not, you can see the amenities.  Looks like entry is 2.5E and children under 3 are free. 

thank you very much 

I did see this before but discounted it for some reason. 

actually looks nice for the kids, open that day and cheap. 

have added that to my to do list. 

see this is why I love forums. Info that you wouldn’t have gotten if not for others who have been and done it. 

thanks again

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

any other way? It’s for coffees and I have no idea what time we will be in during the morning since most likely the mdr for breakfast 

There are big jugs of milk in the coffee station in the buffet.

You could fill a couple of cups and put them in your cabin fridge 

• Like 1

Another vote here for the "lido" (Parque Maritimo Cesar Manrique) but it's a good 20-25 minutes walk from the shuttle bus drop-off (at kid's pace) so both ways may be a lot of walking for your girls. Instead I'd suggest a taxi there then stroll back via the Plaza de Espana where you can promise them a Turby (slushy) and a paddle in the lake.

Back in 2015 a taxi cost us €6.80 and admission for 2 adults, a 5 year old, 2 sunbeds and 1 umbrella was €14.50. You can pick up a taxi near the shuttle bus drop-off and if the driver doesn't understand where you want to go ask for the "piscina" (swimming pool). With food and drinks I'd estimate you'll be looking at around €45 in total for a good day out!

Hols (134x).jpeg

Hols (135a).jpeg

IMG_0895.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

any other way? It’s for coffees and I have no idea what time we will be in during the morning since most likely the mdr for breakfast 

I'd ask the waiters for a carton of milk in the MDR or the Waterside (buffet).

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Another vote here for the "lido" (Parque Maritimo Cesar Manrique) but it's a good 20-25 minutes walk from the shuttle bus drop-off (at kid's pace) so both ways may be a lot of walking for your girls. Instead I'd suggest a taxi there then stroll back via the Plaza de Espana where you can promise them a Turby (slushy) and a paddle in the lake.

Back in 2015 a taxi cost us €6.80 and admission for 2 adults, a 5 year old, 2 sunbeds and 1 umbrella was €14.50. You can pick up a taxi near the shuttle bus drop-off and if the driver doesn't understand where you want to go ask for the "piscina" (swimming pool). With food and drinks I'd estimate you'll be looking at around €45 in total for a good day out!

Hols (134x).jpeg

Hols (135a).jpeg

IMG_0895.JPG

yes I am definitely sold on the idea. Was when the previous poster told me about it and I read your blog and got a few ideas from that too. Wanting to do the beach at lanzarote? It was a black sand one you went to but you said there was another one people were walking to that you would try next time. 

the girls are really good at walking actually. They are fitter than me. Cos we do Disney and neither have a buggy they tend to just get on with it but I would assume that we will get a taxi or shuttle at least one way if not both. I never really get where the ships/shuttles drop off points are so that I can map it before I go. 

the kids would be happy for a slushy tho. I can’t do those they give me brain freeze 🥶 

On 2/7/2020 at 10:14 AM, kruzseeka said:

Thanks for that; will try this in April on my Arcadia cruise to the Canaries

• Like 1

We are a family of four. Two young girls age 4 & 5. This is supposed to be a “budget trip” so we are doing cheap ideas. 

Book sindu when we get on board- hoping there is a discount if not leave it for another night. 

madeira

Visit old town

mercado dos lauradoes (market)

barreirinha bar cafe (ocean front bar) need to try poncha there. 
la vie (if we fancy a mall)

forte de sao tiago 

santa Catarina (park)

buy a craft beer and a pastel de nata (tart)

praca do povo (promenade)

maybe try the wine

la Palma 

plaza de esplana (old town & market)

playa de bajamar or playa de Santa Cruz

Tenerife 

mercado de nuestra senora de Africa (market)

meridiano (mall)

plaza de espana (town square)

garcia sanabria (park) 

lido Martinez Puerto de la Cruz (pool)

*** really need somewhere nice for dinner

gran canaria

playa las canteras (beach)

Santa Catalina (park)

muelle (mall)

vegueta & Tirana roads ( town squares)

kinetic moving sculpture

lanzarote

land train

playa del reducto

el charo de san gines

generalissimo Franco/Leon y Castillo (shops) 

this is what I have so far. I doubt we would stay out all day and I am aware of the siesta so will probably do the beach in afternoon because of that. 

I just want to make sure there are things to do. Our last cruise we didn’t enjoy the ports and I spent less than £10 in four ports. I know I want to budget but I’d rather spend a bit. 
need some nice places for lunch, ice cream, anything local we should try etc. 

thank you 

ps anyone else get really in a muddle with these ports since a lot have the same names?

8 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

lanzarote

land train

playa del reducto

el charo de san gines

generalissimo Franco/Leon y Castillo (shops) 

I wouldn't bother with the land train. Playa del Reducto is just an average beach at the southern edge of the town.  El  Charco is nice to stroll around (takes about 30 minutes) and is good for tapas and drinks. The shopping streets are OK, but nothing special.

The real attraction of Lanzarote lies in its amazing scenery and, of course, Timanfaya National Park. If you have not been to Lanza before, staying in Arecife is a waste of a day.

For La Palma,  which we are visiting for the first time in April, we are hiring a taxi for the day,  so as to see the island, as there is not a great deal to do near where the ship docks.

Edited by wowzz