Christmas on the Indy cancelled

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's basically the same here. It's a known fact that anyone who doesn't Celebrate Christmas goes to a movie and eats Chinese food.  For the past 3 years we have not celebrated Christmas day due to life changing events. This year we wanted to go to a movie but they were all sold out. It was Black Friday for the Chinese Restaurants. Thanks for reminding me of Christmas Story. Next year I will buy one of those Leg Lamps as a decoration. It will really feel like Christmas with the lamp and Chinese food since we haven't decorated in 3 years either.  I work in retail so Christmas is played out by Black Friday for me.

My first job, a Toy Store late 70's. 85% our sales were Thanksgiving-Xmas. Was 15/16 working until 2am stocking on a school nite, Dad said work but cant miss day of school. Laws were not tough as now... On Christmas this yr local News was at Chinese Rest, they were open to serve those had nowhere to go, that were working, as had for 3 Generations... 

• Like 1

...and in 70's had a 1950's Pump action BB gun, hand me down from Dad. Would shoot at plastic Milk Jug, BB's would enter threw one side and I could use them again. At about 30yrs away, one BB bounced back hit me at edge of cheek bone just at eye socket. Soon after started wearing Glasses/Safety Glasses and never minded

Edited by ONECRUISER

23 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

...and in 70's had a 1950's Pump action BB gun, hand me down from Dad. Would shoot at plastic Milk Jug, BB's would enter threw one side and I could use them again. At about 30yrs away, one BB bounced back hit me at edge of cheek bone just at eye socket. Soon after started wearing Glasses/Safety Glasses and never minded

No one said "You'll shoot your eye out kid!" 😂  Sorry, Christmas Story is my favorite holiday movie!

23 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

No one said "You'll shoot your eye out kid!" 😂  Sorry, Christmas Story is my favorite holiday movie!

I know, but Movie came out 7yrs after.... Really did have to laugh when saw the Movie

Edited by ONECRUISER

We did a Christmas and New Year cruise (  also my birthday) a few years ago. The ship was decorated beautifully, Santa brought gifts for all the children, carols were sung on Christmas Eve and there were Christmas crackers on the table in the dining room.  I don’t remember what we had to eat but I do remember the Americans on the next table didn’t know what to do with the crackers. Whilst we had a great time I did feel that Christmas was a bit ‘flat’ and we decided we wouldn’t do another. 
now the New Year party was something else!  
We thought that given the diversity of passengers on the ships not all celebrate Christmas but nearly everyone celebrates new year. 

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I work in retail so Christmas is played out by Black Friday for me.

You mean that with Christmas products appearing on the shelves by Labor Day, decorations going up  in early October and non-stop Christmas music and non-stop Pre-Black Friday sales starting the day after Halloween, you've had enough by Thanksgiving??

I don't think I could last that long. I love the Christmas season but only for 4-5 weeks. If it was up to me, there wouldn't be a single decoration or carol before Thanksgiving and everything down by little Christmas (Jan 6th) and not a moment before.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You mean that with Christmas products appearing on the shelves by Labor Day, decorations going up  in early October and non-stop Christmas music and non-stop Pre-Black Friday sales starting the day after Halloween, you've had enough by Thanksgiving??

I don't think I could last that long. I love the Christmas season but only for 4-5 weeks. If it was up to me, there wouldn't be a single decoration or carol before Thanksgiving and everything down by little Christmas (Jan 6th) and not a moment before.

Actually the Holiday meeting is in July.  With that said I like February when the shorts and swimwear come in. It means Summer is around the corner 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Actually the Holiday meeting is in July.  With that said I like February when the shorts and swimwear come in. It means Summer is around the corner 

Yeah, even when I worked Retail 40yrs ago Christmas Help was hired in July. All major chains around here(Michigan) starting put Summer clothes out, all Winter stuff 40% off....just as Winter/Ice storm hitting this weekend. Today at Walgreen they still have 2 aisles with Xmas stuff on Clearance. I do the weird reverse thing. Summers in Arizona, Winter in Michigan. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You would love it here the the Philippines.  Read an editorial in the Manila newspaper last month lamenting the fact that the people are losing the Christmas spirit.  People used to start Christmas caroling in September, but now days many wait until November 2, but retail people are already wearing Christmas hats and playing Christmas music in October.  After All Saints Day, November 1, Christmas shifts into high gear.  You would love the Christmas carolers we get who are a bass drum snare drum,  and trumpet.  We get to hear the John Phillip Souza version of Joy to the World.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

9 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah, even when I worked Retail 40yrs ago Christmas Help was hired in July. All major chains around here(Michigan) starting put Summer clothes out, all Winter stuff 40% off....just as Winter/Ice storm hitting this weekend.

No wonder I can never find a replacement for my worn/torn winter gear in Feb or my worn/torn summer gear in July.

I guess I should give up search for a snowblower and start shopping for a lawn mower.

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I have friends who put up trees before Thanksgiving and take them down Christmas Day. They can’t wait to get rid of it. 

To me that turns Christmas into Shopping Season and the tree into seasonal decor. 

Unfortunately, that’s what it has become for a lot of people. 

It remains a time of family coming together, though, so there’s a silver lining. 

• Like 1

Turkey has always been our tradition at Christmas... This year, due to our travel schedule, we left everything up to my sister.  

We had Chicken Alfredo... Christmas was as good as it ever was.

No criticism of the OP intended but I would like something different than what I would traditionally have if I was on a cruise at Christmas in the Caribbean. 

I’m sorry that you were disappointed, but Christmas is what you choose to make of it. If lack of a turkey dinner is going to ‘cancel’ an entire holiday in your mind, then that is on you.

In our family, in addition to the religious aspects, Christmas is about spending time with loved ones. Doesn’t matter what we eat and when. Or what anyone else is or isn’t wearing or saying. But that’s just us. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

No wonder I can never find a replacement for my worn/torn winter gear in Feb or my worn/torn summer gear in July.

I guess I should give up search for a snowblower and start shopping for a lawn mower.

I get that all of the time. It's winter why don't you have boots and gloves?  Also everyone expects them to be on Sale but the sales are all preseason before the weather changes. We know people will pay full price in a blizzard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Unfortunately you'll have better luck that way... Sad when in any store you can buy only what they want you too. "You cant always get what you want"

• Haha 1