Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
charlielinda

Edge Infinite Veranda - Love It

Recommended Posts

This our 15th Celebrity cruise and first on the Edge.  We always book Concierge or Aqua.  I had been reluctant to book the Edge because of all the mixed reviews of the Infinite Veranda.  We boarded yesterday and are in Concierge Cabin.  The decor is relaxing, there is plenty of storage, bathroom is a great size and most of all live the Infinite Veranda.  Our bed is my the door so open with the chairs turned I side it makes the room look so large.  When I want to use as balcony I just turn by chair and open the top window.  
 

We are enjoying the ship and continually lost but that’s ok.  We still have lots of exploring to do and will enjoy going back to our Infinite Veranda.  
 

Enjoying Key West today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have they replaced the desk chair to one that fits under the desk, or is it still a chair that sticks out into the room, please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 39august said:

Have they replaced the desk chair to one that fits under the desk, or is it still a chair that sticks out into the room, please?

In an IV cabin the chair has always fit under the desk.  Here’s a pic from Nov 30, 2018:

 

 

 

 

D5E92856-CBDB-4672-B111-45229171E14F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

OP, glad you are loving the IV cabin.  Last year we almost canceled our April ‘19 Edge cruise in an AQ cabin but realized the biggest critics were from people who had not sailed on Edge.  We were so glad we didn’t.  We used the IV more on our April cruise than we did the veranda on an aft corner S1 in Jan ‘19.  Enjoy your cruise, we’ll be on next week.

 

39 August, there was no problem with desk chairs in Sky Suites.  Here is a pic taken January 21, 2019:

 

 

 

 

 

6F4C8BCF-AE9B-4E2C-B59D-90C8289E0C58.jpeg

Edited by Oville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did an Edge B2B in March and loved it. Now booked on the Apex TA in Oct-Nov and hope to really take full advantage of a beautiful ship and great SR design. We like to entertain in our SR and the openness of the IV makes it perfect - we have a bed next to the door also and that is great for us. 

 

For those that think its an Oceanview with an open window instead of a balcony, the great majority of ship ‘balconies’ I’ve enjoyed had an overhang and both sides enclosed, very similar to the IV. Understand if you want a private sunbathing spot, but the IV turns our SR into a very open air room with the sounds of the ocean coming through. 

 

This is what is so great about the 3 classes (ignoring Galapagos ) of Celebrity Line. Each have great benefits we love and a few things we would change if I owned the place. 

 

Along with the IV SR, we fell in love with the 4 dining rooms that had special menues in each and the ease of moving from one to another. Perfect for a guy who loves to experiment on different dishes. 

 

Den

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Now booked on the Apex TA in Oct-Nov  

Den

 

Well, what do you know?  So are we.  😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving the Infinite Verandah??  😱 Watch Out!  The Anti-IV folks will be coming around  to tell you that you are wrong. 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Loving the Infinite Verandah??  😱 Watch Out!  The Anti-IV folks will be coming around  to tell you that you are wrong. 😳

And of course they’ve never sailed on Edge.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, charlielinda said:

This our 15th Celebrity cruise and first on the Edge.  We always book Concierge or Aqua.  I had been reluctant to book the Edge because of all the mixed reviews of the Infinite Veranda.  We boarded yesterday and are in Concierge Cabin.  The decor is relaxing, there is plenty of storage, bathroom is a great size and most of all live the Infinite Veranda.  Our bed is my the door so open with the chairs turned I side it makes the room look so large.  When I want to use as balcony I just turn by chair and open the top window.  
 

We are enjoying the ship and continually lost but that’s ok.  We still have lots of exploring to do and will enjoy going back to our Infinite Veranda.  
 

Enjoying Key West today.  

 

I'm happy the IV is working for you, but they're certainly not for everyone.

 

Enjoy your cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Loving the Infinite Verandah??  😱 Watch Out!  The Anti-IV folks will be coming around  to tell you that you are wrong. 😳

You should read how they are blasted on the CC HAL forums. I think it is a good idea and would want to try one in the future, but my questions is on a hot weather cruise with the window open how does it affect the AC in the cabin? I know with a standard Veranda cabin leaving the door open can mess with the AC efficiency in the cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Oville said:

And of course they’ve never sailed on Edge.😉

 

You are correct that I have never sailed on Edge (and do not intend to) but my objection to that type of balcony (which is really just a large outside stateroom that has an openable window) is that I am an early riser (like 5:30 am) and my bride is not. So on an S or M class ship, I can grab a book and step out on the verandah, close the drapes and she can sleep on. Not in and IV. Not sure how they can fix this. We have had numerous friends who have sailed Edge and their complaints have been that the IV windows have been closed by X at strange and inopportune times. Hopefully that has ended. 

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

 

You are correct that I have never sailed on Edge (and do not intend to) but my objection to that type of balcony (which is really just a large outside stateroom that has an openable window) is that I am an early riser (like 5:30 am) and my bride is not. So on an S or M class ship, I can grab a book and step out on the verandah, close the drapes and she can sleep on. Not in and IV. Not sure how they can fix this. We have had numerous friends who have sailed Edge and their complaints have been that the IV windows have been closed by X at strange and inopportune times. Hopefully that has ended. 

 

Jim

With the IV cabin, just in case you do not know, there are doors which can be closed which shuts the IV off from the rest of the cabin.

 

There are controls for the window AND blinds which will be in the shut off area OR you can control them vis-a-vis the app.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bo1953 said:

With the IV cabin, just in case you do not know, there are doors which can be closed which shuts the IV off from the rest of the cabin.

 

There are controls for the window AND blinds which will be in the shut off area OR you can control them vis-a-vis the app.

 

bon voyage

 

Do the doors completely block off the light or are they glass? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

 

Do the doors completely block off the light or are they glass? 

The doors have a film over them which reduces/diffuses the amount of light which enters the cabin. Plus there are blinds in the door windows which you can open or close. Or are the blinds in the windows??? I forget...

 

At first I was opposed to having the film on the glass, and probably still do to some degree, yet it did not bother me as much as I thought it would.

 

Given that your spouse likes having a dark cabin for sleeping, an IV in fact may not be for you to sail in, especially if blinds are not acceptable.

 

Now, were we on an Alaskan or Norwegian sailing for the mid-night sun, that might be a totally different light issue, to be sure. Yet, I can sleep just about anywhere anytime... when I Am tired. LOL

 

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

With the IV cabin, just in case you do not know, there are doors which can be closed which shuts the IV off from the rest of the cabin.

 

There are controls for the window AND blinds which will be in the shut off area OR you can control them vis-a-vis the app.

 

bon voyage

Thanks for this information.  First time going on a cruise will be on the Edge in a week and this has been a question for us.  Does shutting of the IV doors allow the AC to continue running in the cabin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, drinkoj said:

Thanks for this information.  First time going on a cruise will be on the Edge in a week and this has been a question for us.  Does shutting of the IV doors allow the AC to continue running in the cabin?

Yes it does...

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info.  We just booked March 1st sailing.  This will be only our 2nd Celebrity cruise, first on the Edge.  We are 3 couples all booked into concierge infinite verandah rooms.  We always book a regular balcony so it will be interesting to see how this works out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were sure we’d hate the infinite veranda and only cruised Edge because our friends were.  We LOVED it!!  One extra reason for me was that the glass wasn’t as smeared by salt spray as a regular balcony.  Ditto the balcony furniture!  On our S Class sailings we have to cover the chairs with pool towels on the balcony as the furniture is totally encrusted with salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dr Koob, best wishes for you and your wife on future cruises.  Maybe you should check out SVs or Suites on Edge or Apex.  Next up for us on Sunday is an S1 on Edge, in April an AQ on Edge and November an SV on Apex.  My guess is we’ll love them all.

Edited by Oville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

You just can’t stand that others are enjoying themselves so you do what you can to spoil it.  
 

 

If you are enjoying the IV's, that's great.  I wish you many more enjoyable trips.  But you really need to understand that the IV concept does not really meet the needs of many traditional balcony cruisers.  Hopefully continuing open discussions about the IV balcony issues will inform others in the CC community before they spend thousands of dollars and their vacation time on something that is far less than a true balcony.  Many people have been specific about the shortcomings of the IV balcony concept, please don't try to demean people like Dr Koob that listed specific issues.  If someone writes something that is incorrect please address that issue.  However it is just as important to the CC community to hear from Dr Koob and others that they dislike the IV balconies as it is to hear from people like you that enjoy them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

I agree that comment was 100% uncalled for. 

One of the big reasons we are trying X again are the private exclusive dining venues like BLU and Luminae,  something HAL doesn't offer exclusively. HAL's new Club Orange is a joke that any passenger can use if they pay the extra fees and on most of their ships is nothing more than a roped off area in the MDR. Our only other X cruise was in 2009 on the old Century in Europe and it was a terrible ship and cruise and turned us off on X.

 

I am sorry your Century cruise didn't live up to expectations. We sailed her four different times and really liked her. But we started our Celebrity journey of more than 20 cruises on Infinity. We have sailed on her six times since 2004. She is an older ship but still in great shape. And she is a great introduction to X. Try the S-class ships as well.We especially love the Reflection and Silhouette with their Lawn Club Grille. I agree that one of the best parts (for us) of X ships is sailing in Aqua class so we can have dinner AND breakfast in Blu. Dinner is so much quieter than the MDR and the service vastly improved. We love the food as well. But our favorite thing about Blu is breakfast. On shore days, they are open early and the same crew who served us dinner were there for breakfast. This means on a 10+day cruise you really get to know them. And it seems that Blu gets some of the best. Our service there is always first rate. 

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Is it possible to book any AQ Class cabin without a IV verandah?

 

All of the AquaClass cabins on Edge feature the infinite verandah...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Getting back to @charlielinda thread specifics, have you tried breakfast in Eden yet?

 

Any specialty restaurants yet, if you plan to do so?

 

My favourite store on the ship is the one selling watches... try to go when they have scotch or bourbon tasting... some beautiful time pieces for sure.

 

Continue to enjoy and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...