Can I use my phone as a hot spot?

MOSusan

2 minutes ago, 3monkeys4me said:

If you buy the one device package you can still use the internet on your phone, tablet and laptop... just one device at a time. 

I thought you had to choose which device you were going to use for the cruise.  How can you switch between the phone and computer?

4 minutes ago, MOSusan said:

I thought you had to choose which device you were going to use for the cruise.  How can you switch between the phone and computer?

It is really simple. You just log out on the device you were using and log in again on the new device. I believe some of the ships are changing the log in process, where you set up a user name and password. On Ovation last April you just had to reenter the password provided to you by the ship. My husband and I shared a one device package between 5 devices without any issues. 

EDIT: The instructions to log in and log out were on the card provided to the cabin on arrival. They are easy to follow. The process is really easy, especially after you do it once. 

Edited by 3monkeys4me

Actually... if you have an Samsung Galaxy s9 or s10.  Those phones have a feature called "Wi-fi Sharing".  Which allows you to do exactly what you ask.     https://tunecomp.net/wi-fi-sharing-on-samsung-galaxy/

I used it on HotS last year, and it was great to share it with my group of friends while on the ship.

Edited by Kovster

5 hours ago, Kovster said:

Actually... if you have an Samsung Galaxy s9 or s10.  Those phones have a feature called "Wi-fi Sharing".  Which allows you to do exactly what you ask.     https://tunecomp.net/wi-fi-sharing-on-samsung-galaxy/

I used it on HotS last year, and it was great to share it with my group of friends while on the ship.

Guess I need to upgrade from my S8

41 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Guess I need to upgrade from my S8

If you have ATT as your carrier the S10 is able to verify phone numbers too. You can now block the extended car warranty, better credit card rates, etc numbers that are spoofing being a local number.

Thanks for all of the info.  I remember someone posting something about a device that would send your signal while in the room and you could use multiple devices.  Does anyone know what this is? 

Sorry, my DH is the tech expert so I might not be using the correct terms.

54 minutes ago, MOSusan said:

Thanks for all of the info.  I remember someone posting something about a device that would send your signal while in the room and you could use multiple devices.  Does anyone know what this is? 

Sorry, my DH is the tech expert so I might not be using the correct terms.

It’s a travel router and it would only work if you are all in the room 

19 hours ago, Kovster said:

Doesn't seem to work on my S9+🤔

From the Mobile Hotspot settings, there should be the three dots in the upper right hand corner.  That should show the option to turn on "wi-fi sharing"

Now also, you can NOT have your phone in airplane mode, just make sure you turn off 'mobile data' .

You might be able to find a different carrier software version you can install.  Do so carefully in case you brick your phone.  I was able to do some interesting things with European carrier code but I could never get wifi sharing to work.

Keep in mind that although there are ways to share, the internet package is per device, so they may block sharing.

Sort of like other policies where it's in the rules, but they may or may not choose to enforce it.

4 minutes ago, lks1165 said:

so does this mean you dont have to purchase the internet package?

No, if your phone supports this, or you try a travel-router, you will still need to buy at least one package.

Edited by Kovster