Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
retired dude

bb king or rock club on the vendam out of tampa??????

Holland Amer. has announced sailing in 2020-2021 out of tampa on the vendam and will they be smart enough to put some great entertainment onboard like the bb king club or the rock club like they have on the koning or the n staten .....The last ships to sail out of tampa were the oster, and the rotter and  neither had much live entertainment and in talking to many veteran cruisers this was part of the reason that those ships were leaving tampa with a whole lot of empty cabins.....I just hope that holland remembers those empty cabins and that they put some great live bands like the bb king or rock club onboard these vandam sailings out of tampa this year..... Most of the folks that have sailed on past sailings out of tampa with holland have been very very disappointed with the live entertainment on those sailings and i just hope and pray that holland wises up and improves in that area. I have no complaint with food and service on holland but after experiencing first hand the outstanding bands on the n staten it just makes sense to provide the same fun for those spending their hard earned $  to sail out of tampa..Msc and celebrity will also enter this market this year and i know that they will provide great entertainment for their passengers......Please take heed holland.

I doubt you will see BB Kings on the Veendam.  Too small.

BB Kings is only on the Vista class and above.  They were on one R ship (Rotterdam) and performed in the Crow’s Nest but, sadly, HAL removed them a few years ago.

1 minute ago, kazu said:

I doubt you will see BB Kings on the Veendam.  Too small.

BB Kings is only on the Vista class and above.  They were on one R ship (Rotterdam) and performed in the Crow’s Nest but, sadly, HAL removed them a few years ago.

We have been hal customers for the last 20 years. We just returned from the NS just before Christmas and I vowed I would never book another Cruise on any ship that doesn't have a rolling stone rock room.  We enjoyed it so much and it added so much to our cruise experience that I can't imagine how disappointed I would be to sail on a ship without that entertainment venue.  I know that space is an issue on the older ships but I sure would like to see some rock bands on the main stage at the very least.

In booking my HAL cruise for next month, I only considered ships that had B B King or the Rolling Stone Rock Room. Entertainment in these venues is stellar. Although I love smaller ships, the larger ship trade off is definitely worth it to get the live bands. 

Veendam has the Mainstage theater entertainment, Mix Piano Bar and Ocean Bar trio/quartet and usually a string duo/trio (Adagio strings) in Explorers lounge.  That's about it.

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Veendam has the Mainstage theater entertainment, Mix Piano Bar and Ocean Bar trio/quartet and usually a string duo/trio (Adagio strings) in Explorers lounge.  That's about it.

That's the problem---"that's about it"!

We sailed the Windsurf (Windstar) a couple years ago and overall the cruise was pretty great except once you had dinner, there was not much to do but drink in solitude. 

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

That's enough for many of us. 
It's great that those who want BB King's and the Rolling Stone Rock Room have ships where they can enjoy them, and those of us who want something different have a choice, too. 
The ships don't all have to have the same thing, and can appeal to a broader base if they don't. 

I could be wrong but I have been told the "large" ships can't get into Tampa as they won't fit under the Sky Bridge.  That being said, the smaller ships are too small for the venues you suggest.

The Vista class ships can get under the Sunshine Skyway bridge.   The Oosterdam home-ported there in 2016.

Would book the Veendam in a minute if HAL hadn’t destroyed the stern pool. 

thanks for the comments, they are great and just about what i expected...We have numerous friends down here in florida that sailed on the oosterdam out of tampa and they all said that the cruise was "like watching paint dry" when  it came to entertainment...I was hoping that even with the "smaller" ships that can fit under the bridge which is beautiful when lit up, that there would be a lounge of some sort that would support a great live band like the bb king club or rock club. ...We are in our 60's and still enjoy great music and if holland is going to neglect that on these sailings, then we will go across the state to ft lau and get on the larger ships...thanks again for your feedback.

If one is cruising for entertainment Celebrity would be a better choice next winter from Tampa.  I love HAL, and would have no issues whatsoever sailing Veendam (especially if Barry from Boston was the piano bar entertainer).  Chances are that Veendam will have a lower per diem cost than Celebrity.

After our last sailing from Tampa (Rotterdam 2018) I'm not sure we would rush to sail from there again.  The port gets closed due to 'fog.'  I sure do like the Tampa airport and the port is more than close enough.  "Fog" seems to happen quite often especially in Dec - Jan.  Something to consider.

16 hours ago, RuthC said:

That's enough for many of us. 
It's great that those who want BB King's and the Rolling Stone Rock Room have ships where they can enjoy them, and those of us who want something different have a choice, too. 
The ships don't all have to have the same thing, and can appeal to a broader base if they don't. 

I am with you on this, Ruth.

However, HAL has cut back so much on entertainment such as the production shores, cruise staff led activities during the day, and the dumbing down of other features (example, America's Test Kitchen instead of the chef led demonstrations), that even my  husband and I found ourselves climbing the walls in boredom on our last Rotterdam cruise.

As a result, HAL is no longer on our favorites list.

Tampa is an hour away from our home and I am thrilled to see that Celebrity and MSC  will be offering cruises from Tampa as that gives us options. (Yes, I know that NCL, Carnival and Royal Caribbean sail from Tampa, but NCL and Royal Caribbean just don't provide the on board experience that they once did and Carnival lived down to its reputation  on the cruise we did take).