Visa requirements for Thailand & Vietnam

lem_100

Hello - I’m on Spirit in February cruising from HK to Singapore and I have a query on visas that I wonder if anyone can offer advice.  Do SS manage visas like most of the mega ships do?

As a UK citizen, I can get a 15 day visa waiver for Vietnam.  However, does this waiver cover me for several days of entry to the country as we sail down the coast line?  We don’t enter any other country during this part of the trip but we are at sea for 1 day between Chan May and Ho Chi Minh City.

Hello,

Have just been on the Spirit doing  this cruise in reverse 2 weeks ago we are holders of British passports, the ship organised everything but we did have to do a face to face with immigration cant remember where but was very quick, have a great cruise.!!

• Like 1

As you are a UK Passport holder, you should be OK, though I would suggest you do double check nearer the time in case things have changed.

I did a similar cruise nearly 2 years ago (how time flies), but there is one thing on the provided Visa and that was you couldn't spend overnight on land. So if you were planning a trip to Hanoi for example with an overnight stay, I am fairly sure this visa doesn't cover you. Not 100% sure (as it may have applied to US passengers only), but if it was on your itinerary, do double check.

Edited by les37b

On 1/7/2020 at 2:00 PM, lem_100 said:

Hello - I’m on Spirit in February cruising from HK to Singapore and I have a query on visas that I wonder if anyone can offer advice.  Do SS manage visas like most of the mega ships do?

As a UK citizen, I can get a 15 day visa waiver for Vietnam.  However, does this waiver cover me for several days of entry to the country as we sail down the coast line?  We don’t enter any other country during this part of the trip but we are at sea for 1 day between Chan May and Ho Chi Minh City.

Having completed the journey from Singapore to Hong Kong in early December, as a US citizen our visa arrangements were handled by Silversea.  Check with your appropriate governing entity, travel agent or Silversea.

On 1/7/2020 at 10:00 PM, lem_100 said:

You might need to double check with Silver Seas.

We have been to Vietnam but that was a land based holiday.

If we remember correctly Vietnam regulations is that UK passport holders can enter Vietnam ONCE , and for no more than 15 days.

However, if you wish to re-enter the country within 6 months (?), you will have to get a visa. We found getting a visa quite tedious, because it was a TWO STEP process, not just applying once.

As you sailed from Ho Chi Minh City to Chan May, you might not be considered to have left the country, but we are not certain about that.

It is best for you to check with Silver Seas.

The other thing is your cruise ship is most likely to dock at Phu My, about 2.5 hours from HCM City. Please take that into account.

For Vietnam, really, a cruise visit does not do it justice.  What is more, we found that central and northern vietnam eg Hue,, Hoi An,  Hanoi and Ha Long Bay, they offer so much more than South Vietnam.

Edited by Gnoelj

On 1/8/2020 at 5:00 AM, lem_100 said:

We cruised between Singapore and Hong Kong over Christmas and New Year.  All three stops in Vietnam were covered by the 15 day visa waiver for UK passports.  We received an entry stamp when we arrived at the first port on 28th December and an exit stamp when we left the last port on 1st January.  We will arrive back in Vietnam on Silver Spirit on 4th February (just over the minimum 30 days between visa free visits).