many questions about alaska

the col.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:35 PM, Marianne said:

We went starting the first week in September in Fairbanks.  Stayed there a few days before boarding the train.  There we saw wildlife, some coming down from high country.  We stayed only two days in Denali but there was a lot to see, altho the mountain hid from us.  From thereon the moose were in rhut, and saw moose all over, even in the city streets.  Fascinating.  Then on to Anchorage, boarding the ship in Seward, with a restful trip sailing home.  The weather was good except for one day while aboard the train with some rain.   You will love this land/sea combination -- a great vacation trip.☺️

Marianne

Marianne, what did you do in Fairbanks? We end our land tour there about 8:30 one night and fly out the next night. Would like to do something for the day IN Fairbanks - not get a rental car and drive.

We just took off walking from the hotel mostly.  Walked all over, down across the river to the church, into residential area, talked to locals, and into town.  Bought fudge, and looked in shops.  Picked up something for breakfast at a grocery.  Took a bus to the University and looked around there -- much to see but ran out of time.  Also took a bus to a pharmacy to pick up some meds we needed.  Found a good Italian restaurant also.  This was over a period of three days, because we slept late and got up when the mood moved us.  Also one night the hotel desk called us about 2:30-3:00 in the morning advising that if we got up we could see the northern lights -- and we did.  It was just such a pleasurable trip, mostly enjoying the locals and Fairbanks itself.  And the weather was also so pleasant.

Marianne

On 1/7/2020 at 8:01 PM, the col. said:

I have not been to this great site for many years- -I now need your great insight once again--we are about to have our 50 th anniversity--and the boss stated she like our last cruise to be the one to Alaska to include the land portion to Denili (sp) area--many questions--but any help would truly be appreciated---do you go north to south or the other way---our 50th date is early june so should we start in the end of may? do we need to go on a 10/12/14 day adventure ? best ship--so many questions--if anyone could find the time to help we would really appreciate it--back ground we are early 70's--in pretty good health--I an RVN handicapped Vet --but can move just find--thanks in advance for your help and time--

Congratulations!!!  My husband and I are celebrating our 50th Anniversary with an Alaskan Cruise, too!  We are flying into Anchorage (booked by Hal) 3 days before our land/sea triple Denali cruise.  We will rent a car and drive to a hotel that we have rented near the Airport.  We plan to revisit areas that we camped in 50 years ago when we lived in Anchorage ....my husband was in the Air Force stationed in Anchorage when we first got married.  We will drive to Portage, Seward, Kenai, etc.  Eventually, we will end up at the Westmark (I am assuming) and turn in our car.  Then we will enjoy our adventure in Downtown Anchorage before embarking on the train ride to Denali!  We have a Triple Denali land tour booked.  We plan to do the Side by Side excursion in Denali as well as the bus tour into the park.  We LOVED camping in "Mt Mckinley" ~ as it was named in 1970-1973.  We will take the bus to Seward and then get on Ms Westerdam and sail south to Vancouver.  We are planning to rent a car in Skagway to drive to Caribou Crossing. Cheaper that the White Pass excursion and we will be on our own for photography stops!  We will stay in Vancouver for 2 nights ......then rent a car and drive to Seattle for an additional 3 nights before flying home to Florida on a flight booked by Hal.  We are sooooooooooooo excited!!  We are going back to Alaska.....where we began 50 years ago as a married couple!!  Have an amazing adventure/cruise together!!! Congrats again!!

• Like 1

We will be celebrating our 50th in Alaska as well. We plan to have our anniversary dinner at our favorite restaurant in the world, Club Paris in downtown Anchorage. Anchorage was our home when we retired.

I have already booked the cruise up there, departing Vancouver on 6/7/20. We plan to cruise back on either 6/21 or 6/28.

If anybody has any suggestions for where to park our car and where to spend the night before the ship departs Vancouver, I would love to hear them.

Edited by FulltimeRVer

39 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Pan Pacific has a discount rate for OR and WA residents, maybe join their club to get a discount rate

https://www.panpacific.com/en/hotels-and-resorts/pp-vancouver/offers/alaska-cruise-package.html

You bags go from hotel room to onboard.

A-

Thanks! I just made a reservation for the night before sailing.

40 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

Thanks! I just made a reservation for the night before sailing.

I think you will enjoy the hotel, its nice, comfortable and the food is pretty good with 3 different places to eat on site.

I love the call the bellman when you have your HAL tags on your bags and then just go check in or wander the dock. Next time you see your bags are in your stateroom, I actually checked my carry on last year and just took a small backpack with things I don't let go of.

Watching Ovation of the Seas come in the night before last year

20190512_192044.thumb.jpg.7a760de17cd5749e69412a183b662afa.jpg

Out on the balcony after dinner

20190512_205224.thumb.jpg.7041473bca136c4746f801a54bed10df.jpg

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Pan Pacific has a discount rate for OR and WA residents, maybe join their club to get a discount rate

https://www.panpacific.com/en/hotels-and-resorts/pp-vancouver/offers/alaska-cruise-package.html

You bags go from hotel room to onboard.

A-

Sounds good, but I think their website needs a little tweaking:

"A piece of mind experience for guests taking and Alaskan Cruise"

Does that mean the we would have to listen to a rant in exchange for a special rate? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Sounds good, but I think their website needs a little tweaking:

"A piece of mind experience for guests taking and Alaskan Cruise"

Does that mean the we would have to listen to a rant in exchange for a special rate? 🙂

I don't think so I just checked in, went to my room and freshened up and went down and ate. Not much to sell you there but more nights in the room or food in the restaurants or gifts in the stores.

Just now, AlanF65 said:

I don't think so I just checked in, went to my room and freshened up and went down and ate. Not much to sell you there but more nights in the room or food in the restaurants or gifts in the stores.

Alan, did you read the quote?

57 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Yes, there was no sales pitch,  I think the piece of mind is you just can walk to the ship with no worries about your bags or meals in comfort. Definitely not the cheapest place to stay, but I enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Okay it took awhile, obviously that peace of software was outsourced to the US, and I am so used to it I missed the piece about peace because I am used to reading for intent.☺️

• Like 2