Puerto Rico Earthquake & Celebrity Summit

Lobster1640

Any thoughts or feedback on recent Puerto Rico earthquakes? Looking for reassurance from anyone who is there this week. We are scheduled to fly to San Juan on Monday and on Tuesday will sail on Celebrity Summit. I was really looking forward to this trip, but I am so wishing this cruise was leaving from Florida.  If we weren't sailing with another couple, I would be tempted to contact our insurance to see if we could cancel! We are frequent cruisers and travelers but have not experienced a situation like this. Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, Lobster1640 said:

Any thoughts or feedback on recent Puerto Rico earthquakes? Looking for reassurance from anyone who is there this week. We are scheduled to fly to San Juan on Monday and on Tuesday will sail on Celebrity Summit. I was really looking forward to this trip, but I am so wishing this cruise was leaving from Florida.  If we weren't sailing with another couple, I would be tempted to contact our insurance to see if we could cancel! We are frequent cruisers and travelers but have not experienced a situation like this. Thanks. 

I understand no disruption at the port in San Juan but you may want to check your itinerary as the summit leaves on Saturday not Tuesday. 

The earthquake was off shore south of Ponce, which is on the south side of the island, and about 60 miles southwest of San Juan (on the north side of the island).  The direct damage is on the south side of the island.  The power grid in Puerto Rico is fragile, and that increases the difficulties island wide; so it's not like comparing most places where an earthquake strikes that distance away. 

However, I'm on the same cruise you are, and have no doubt that things - as far as we're concerned - will be fine. 

That being said, this is clearly a tragedy Puerto Rico with have particular difficulty dealing with, given the relatively recent hurricane. 

Harris

Denver. CO

3 minutes ago, Peter118 said:

I understand no disruption at the port in San Juan but you may want to check your itinerary as the summit leaves on Saturday not Tuesday. 

No, the summit sailed from San Juan on 1-4-20, returning on Tuesday, 1-14-20 for it's next cruise. 

Harris

Denver, CO

5 minutes ago, Peter118 said:

I stand corrected. The 14 th is indeed Tuesday. You should be fine.