Bringing a drone on board ?

Ptroxx

I’ve looked and couldn’t find much of anything.        

what’s the rules on bringing a drone on board.      I’d like to take my drone with me to use while I’m staying in Florida.  
what’s the protocol for bringing one on Board.  I don’t have anyplace to leave it on land while on our cruise. ??  

id like to bring it. But if it’s too much of an issue guess I’ll leave it.  

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

Perfect.   Would I be able to use it on CoCoCay?   
that’s the only place I think I’d like to take it out on the ship.  

You can not use it on CocoCay. Here is what Royal Caribbean says on their website. 

Yes. Guests are welcome to bring drones on their cruise for use on land only and outside of the port area. However, drones are not to be operated onboard the ship at any time, nor on Royal Caribbean's private destinations: Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas or Labadee, Haiti.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-guests-bring-drones-onboard

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Also remember the rules for operating drones would depend on the country you visit.  For example, the entire island of St Maarten is controlled airspace, and hence would require communication with the tower to operate (if they allow it at all)

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You can not use it on CocoCay. Here is what Royal Caribbean says on their website. 

Yes. Guests are welcome to bring drones on their cruise for use on land only and outside of the port area. However, drones are not to be operated onboard the ship at any time, nor on Royal Caribbean's private destinations: Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas or Labadee, Haiti.

Interesting that I've seen CC drone shots taken by passengers

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Well that’s a bummer.   Guess I’m just gonna have to keep it in the room.  

unless I feel privilege like some others that have taken there’s on the island.   Lol.  

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Haha 1

I brought my DJI Mavic Pro on a cruise in October 2018 and filmed in Portland, Bar Harbor, Peggy's Cove, St. John and St. Martins. It was a lot of fun. As others have already said, The rules are pretty clear about flying at CocoCay and Labadee. When I fly my drone, I try to get it up and away from people quickly as to avoid intruding on their space and peace (The buzz can scare some people).

At Peggy's Cove, the waves and wind pretty much drowned out the noise as soon as the drone was about 30 feet off the ground. 

The trip out to the Anthem from Bar Harbor  made me a little nervous as the ship was pretty far away and the wind was pretty strong that day, but she got back safely. I never flew directly over the ship and was respectful to the people around me, letting them know when the drone was going to lift off and when it was about to return. People were genuinely interested in how everything was monitored and controlled.

I lost the connection with the drone once at the St. Martins Caves in New Brunswick but the software brought her back to me fine. 😅

Here's a link  to the video for anyone interested:

Anthem Cruise to NE and Canada

Edited by GSRDPM

Thanks for sharing.  Great drone shots.    I have a Spark and I really don’t want any issues.  The only other place I may want to use it was in San Juan PR at the forts as I have nothing planned for that stop.  Other than that I plan on using it while in staying a week after in Florida.  

7 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Thanks for sharing.  Great drone shots.    I have a Spark and I really don’t want any issues.  The only other place I may want to use it was in San Juan PR at the forts as I have nothing planned for that stop.  Other than that I plan on using it while in staying a week after in Florida.  

The forts are a National Historic Site and are under the US National Park Service. Drones are not permitted in US National Parks so they might not be permitted at the forts.

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The forts are a National Historic Site and are under the US National Park Service. Drones are not permitted in US National Parks so they might not be permitted at the forts.

Thanks. I know that.     I’ll fly from outside the park if need be.    
better to ask for forgiveness than permission.  
there’s tons of drone videos from there so.

14 hours ago, GSRDPM said:

I brought my DJI Mavic Pro on a cruise in October 2018 and filmed in Portland, Bar Harbor, Peggy's Cove, St. John and St. Martins. It was a lot of fun. As others have already said, The rules are pretty clear about flying at CocoCay and Labadee. When I fly my drone, I try to get it up and away from people quickly as to avoid intruding on their space and peace (The buzz can scare some people).

At Peggy's Cove, the waves and wind pretty much drowned out the noise as soon as the drone was about 30 feet off the ground. 

The trip out to the Anthem from Bar Harbor  made me a little nervous as the ship was pretty far away and the wind was pretty strong that day, but she got back safely. I never flew directly over the ship and was respectful to the people around me, letting them know when the drone was going to lift off and when it was about to return. People were genuinely interested in how everything was monitored and controlled.

I lost the connection with the drone once at the St. Martins Caves in New Brunswick but the software brought her back to me fine. 😅

Here's a link  to the video for anyone interested:

Anthem Cruise to NE and Canada

My uncle has a Mavic Pro 2 and its incredible what it can do and the quality of video it produces. 

1 hour ago, ECU_Cruising_Pirates said:

Many of the drone videos online are from people that Royal authorized to use them to create marketing content for their website and social media. An example would be the Youtube channel Trev and Chels. 

I disagree.   There’s tons of private party videos taken on San Juan PR.   And Trev and Chelsea are just youtubers not hires by RC. 

Edited by Ptroxx

2 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I though Royal says you can't use on the ship.  Also think some countries won't let you use them.  That being said pictures are very nice. 

You can’t use it on the ship.     And yes some countries.    But PR is the US.  And has the same drone requirements as the US

Edited by Ptroxx

3 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I disagree.   There’s tons of private party videos taken on San Juan PR.   

The earlier posts were discussing drone video of Labadee and Coco Cay. I should have clarified that is what I was referring to when I stated many of those are authorized by Royal.  Of course there are endless amounts of drone videos of San Juan and just about everywhere else in the world but has nothing to do with a cruise ship or privately owned property such as Coco Cay or Labadee.

1 minute ago, ECU_Cruising_Pirates said:

The earlier posts were discussing drone video of Labadee and Coco Cay. I should have clarified that is what I was referring to when I stated many of those are authorized by Royal.  Of course there are endless amounts of drone videos of San Juan and just about everywhere else in the world but has nothing to do with a cruise ship or privately owned property such as Coco Cay or Labadee.

I’m the original poster here.  My question to all was about taking the drone on to the RC ship.   And maybe using at CoCocay.   Nothing about Labadee and  private Property.  

but thanks for the comments.   

On 1/8/2020 at 1:22 PM, Ptroxx said:

unless I feel privilege like some others that have taken there’s on the island.   Lol.  

Only do this if your last port is CocoCay.  Otherwise, you and your drone could be watching from on land as the ship sails away at the next port.

9 minutes ago, SRF said:

Only do this if your last port is CocoCay.  Otherwise, you and your drone could be watching from on land as the ship sails away at the next port.

I know of people that have been put off the ship at Coco Cay.  Very expensive to get home from there.