What do you use to carry 12 packs onboard?

Loodlow

We put ours in the carry-on along with wine bottles. Never even had them check. My in-laws had them on top of the carry-on, and they ripped open the boxes to the point that they couldn’t stay together. They ended up stopping to stuff them inside their carry-on bags. Didn’t make sense to me. 

• Like 1

did a cursory inspection a NOLA a few weeks ago, could see the Champane tops and almost ignore the boxed juice in 8 oz cans (I  suspect more because of the size of the cans) looked closely at the 6 pack of pop cans.  Been out of NOLA before but this is the first time they really looked.

Sorry Stellarose - totally misread your comment about luggage size in the original post so I edited it.

We usually used a small rolling bag and just placed the whole case in there unopened along with a swimsuit or other small miscellaneous items like meds or other 'can't lose' things. Having them loose (even in the box) seems like just one more thing to carry so we opted for a little larger bag so that everything was self contained. 

Edited by jdcml

When our neighbors carried on a 12-pack of cokes, they opened it to inspect.  Fortunately we were able to put the loose cans in other bags.  So, even if you plan to just carry the case, you may still want to be sure you have room to put loose cans in case they rip it open like our neighbors.  That was in Galveston a few years back.

I carried all of our sodas plus a lot of my 'first day' stuff in this backpack:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Carry-On-Travel-Backpack-Black/dp/B01J24H87C/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&fst=as%3Aoff&keywords=travel%2Bbackpack&qid=1578501140&refinements=p_89%3AAmazonBasics&rnid=2325590011&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2&th=1

It worked out well. I love this backpack. Plus, I carried all of our essential paperwork with me, in it. I carried all of them loose in the backpack.

Edited by Joe817

I set my 12-pack on the top of my suitcase and use a smaller bungee cord to secure it to the pull handle.

How aggressive they are with checking the cases pretty much depends on the port and the security personnel working that day. Not all of them act the same. There are those who will destroy a box to inspect it, so as others have said, be prepared to carry loose cans somehow. I take a reusable grocery bag just in case, or a plastic bag (I double up for strength).

The boxes have a perforated area on the ends that's designed to be removed so you can dispense the cans from the hole. Last month in New Orleans, the lady popped it open along those perforated lines on either end just to peek inside, but the case was still intact.

In the summer of 2018 in Miami, we had two 12-packs. I accidentally dropped one in the parking lot and three cans broke open. I put the remaining loose cans in the grocery bag that I brought just in case they ripped the boxes open. We sent the unopened case through first and they didn't say a word, didn't even inspect it. Then I sent the bag of nine loose cans through and the guy looked inside the bag and asked what was in the cans. I said, "Dr. Pepper." He then asked, "Not beer?" Seriously man, you didn't even inspect the unopened case, but think that I somehow canned my own beer inside Dr. Pepper cans? 🙄 Like I said, they are very inconsistent.

• Haha 1

We have used that thick clear packing tape in NOLA - around the center and formed a "handle" so to speak.  Since our big luggage was taken already, we carried in a camera bag, a "carry on" bag and two 12-packs with tape handles.  Easy Peasy!

I've carried a 12 pack once on a long cruise but now that Carnival is moving away from Coke products to Pepsi I'll have to do it again.  Like before I used a small carry-on size suitcase and cushion the cokes with socks and other items of clothing.  Worked great!

• Like 1

a small Samsonite carry on that holds two twelve packs upright with a tower fan in between. Also have our saved cabin décor and door banner along with medications. in the carry on.

as stated before, some open cases, some do not. 

the carry on works well on the way home to bring back any breakable gifts and laundry from the last night. 

Years ago a CC poster took his two teenage daughters on a cruise and wrapped two 12-pacs of Heinnekens as a birthday gift with an envelope saying "For the Captain" attached and they walked right onboard. Filled up his fridge for the cruise ! 🙂