obstructed balcony -Sky Princess

carlp

looking to get a balcony cabin (602-611) on the Sky.

I see that there's a little price difference for a cabin on Deck 8 (Emerald)

website states that these are "obstructed" balconies -

anyone stay in these? and what is the obstruction?

Hi - Just before Xmas I booked starboard  cabin E425 on the Sky for a Baltic cruise in August.  At the time it was about £440  ($576) per person cheaper than a normal balcony and also £70 ($92) cheaper than an inside.  Just checked today and can see price has gone up to almost the price of a normal balcony.

The 'obstruction' is the lifeboats.  However they are actually at the level of the bottom of the balcony so looking out you have an unobstructed view it is only looking down you are looking at the lifeboat.

However if you look at the deck plans/photos, the cabins midships have no lifeboats.  They are still considered obstructed because below them are the seating areas for Alfredos on the starboard side and the seafood restaraunt on the port side and the seating areas have a canopy above them, these balconies look down on the canopy.  Many of these midship balconies are larger that standard balconies because midships has a scalloped shape and the balconies are angled and odd shaped - look at the deck plans and you'll see what I mean.  Cabin E425 looks to have a particularly large balcony as a result as do a few others.  Was a no brainer for us to go for the obstructed balcony and of those this particular one due to the size.  However would have had no hesitation in booking any of the obstructed balconies given at the time the price difference to an inside.

Someone recently did a live review from the Sky and included photos on I think cabin E410 which is the equivalent cabin to E425 on the port side.

20 minutes ago, carlp said:

looking to get a balcony cabin (602-611) on the Sky.

I see that there's a little price difference for a cabin on Deck 8 (Emerald)

website states that these are "obstructed" balconies -

anyone stay in these? and what is the obstruction?

This site is for the Royal/Regal but it will give you an idea on views.

Should be fairly close.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/ov.php?ship=Regal-Princess&cabins=E602-E703

I had E424 on the Sky in Dec. Was obstructed view, but looking straight out there was no obstruction. Standing up at railing you see Alfredos tarps and to right and left lifeboats. View was great.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have two cruises booked on the Sky.  We will be in cabins E433 and E425.

Both cabins are above Alfredo's.  Cruising on the Royal and Regal we have stayed in those cabins which are above "the shops of Princess".

Please let me know if you experienced noise or food odors if you stayed in those cabins or nearby cabins that are above Alfredo's.  Hope it is still a desirable location.

Thank you..

We had one of these (UN)obstructed cabins on Regal.

Look for the cabins mid-ship, around the bump-out area,  where there is deck and no lifeboats below!

IMHO, these are the best obstructed, but not really, cabins.  There are a few kind of like these far aft as well.  But, these mid-ship are the best if you can find one available.

Otherwise, any lifeboat will be a very real obstruction.

Edited by Wishing on a star

On 1/8/2020 at 3:35 PM, dog said:

I had E424 on the Sky in Dec. Was obstructed view, but looking straight out there was no obstruction. Standing up at railing you see Alfredos tarps and to right and left lifeboats. View was great.

Noise was only from next door music on full volume.

It is midship-close to Piazza which was very noisy, but with my stateroom door closed I was not bothered by that noise.

No food smells with balcony door closed.

Never saw anyone eating outside there during the 3 days.

Thanks to Adam7392 for the link to the photos. We are booked in E409 in April and E412 in September. When we booked the April cruise, obstructed deluxe balcony was actually cheaper than obstructed balcony. This thread positively addresses any concerns we might have had.

Edited by billco

We were in E428 on Regal this past summer. Those midship obstructed view rooms are in the best location on the ship. I would book one on any of the Royal class ships in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Yes, those are great pics...

I will also just mention, the one tiny thing that I didn't like,  if you look closely,  I think that those are lights there at the railing.  We had one below our cabin on the Regal, and I think it was always on at night, and there was no cover to keep some of the light from coming up to our balcony.  Might be better on the new ships?   GREAT cabins!   But, just want to offer full disclosure.

Edited by Wishing on a star

We did the December 1- December 4 back to back on the Sky and were in E526 for the first 3 nights. The life boat was even with our balcony- we could have climbed over the rail onto the top of the lifeboat if we wanted. To see anything but lifeboat, you had to stand up. We usually book obstructed balconies, but this was totally different from the Regal.

The second 3 nights, we were in D435 which is a nice balcony directly above the restaurant on deck 7. The amount of noise you have depends on the diners at the outside tables. One night a group made so much noise that we could hear them with the balcony door closed and the curtain drawn. They were there until very late. The other 2 nights were fine.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 1:21 PM, sandybeaches44 said:

I have two cruises booked on the Sky.  We will be in cabins E433 and E425.

Both cabins are above Alfredo's.  Cruising on the Royal and Regal we have stayed in those cabins which are above "the shops of Princess".

Please let me know if you experienced noise or food odors if you stayed in those cabins or nearby cabins that are above Alfredo's.  Hope it is still a desirable location.

Thank you..

• 2 years later...

I have been in E405 on Regal.  The same straight but deeper balcony as E433.  It is wonderful to have that larger balcony!   On Sky you may have those tarp-covers over the dining area on the left below, and the front of the little transfer boat on the right just below.  But, really, without paying attention and looking down absolutely no obstruction to worry about.  Even with those things, this is still a great cabin with a larger balcony at a great value!  And, can't beat the location for being close to the Piazza, International Cafe, two of the Main Dining rooms.  

I am looking at booking E429 on the Regal, as there are no tarp shade covers on Regal, and it is forward of that smaller transfer boat.  Kind of a funny two angled balcony,   But, just forward of that boat.

Here is video with E433 on the Royal, so very similar.

When looking at deck plans - dragging them on top of each other and aligning them to their exact fit on top of each other (exactly match the steps of the stairways) you can see what the obstruction is outside each cabin.

On some ships (like the Regal) an obstructed balcony can just mean that when you look down from your balcony you are looking at a promenade deck instead of the ocean. (E437, E438, and along there; some have slightly extended balconys, too). Nothing blocking straight our your balcony, only when you look down. 

Also, when looking at the deck diagrams notice the teensy little boat diagrams are different for the different size lifeboats - bigger and smaller; tenders and lifeboats (not sure which is which). One is more of an obstruction than the other.

All to say that balcony obstructions vary greatly from cabin to cabin.

I have a video showing our 180 degree view from Sky Princess obstructed balcony E515. I just can't successfully get it into my computer and into this message. Sigh. Sorry.