Cruise Critic Community
petuniaflower

Trip cancellation and interruption insurance?

Im not sure I quite understand these terms.  What im looking to know is if my flight is delayed or cancelled, would either of these insurances reimburse for this?  I am not looking for medical, as we have that.  However, we have a risky flight time in winter and Im worried we will miss the cruise and wondered if we got insurance if this type of thing is covered. 

Even more specific, if it would be covered for that, would it be void if we decided to just go with the flow and take off to somewhere else for the week if we could find a flight, since we would have the time off, if we knew very well we would miss our cruise (if we are still at airport at the point when cruise departed), and first stop isnt until 2 days in? 

Thanks!

I strongly you contact someone like Insuremytrip dot com to get the answers to your questions, as they will greatly vary policy to policy and underwriter to underwriter.

You'll find some good definitions here. https://tripinsurancestore.com/

However,

Trip Delay - Before any benefits can be paid the delay has to meet or exceed a minimum number of hours as set forth in the policy. Usually anywhere from 5 hour delay up to 24 hours depending on policy.

Also note that in your stated scenario, I would doubt you'd be covered if at the beginning you just said "oh well, our flights are cancelled due to snow. We're going back home and call to cancel." Why? because the ship sailed on schedule. For trip delay or trip cancellation to work for you, you have to make a good faith effort to catch up to the ship. Now, if you tried and tried and kept great documentation of who you spoke with and when, AND, by the time you catch the ship you will have missed greater than 50% of your scheduled trip, THEN you may be able to be reimbursed.

OTOH, if you have Cancel For Any Reason coverage, and you meet the time table of those terms, you could call and cancel and receive benefits up to that policies limits. (Most cruiseline policies allow CFAR cancellation up to time of scheduled departure of the ship reimbursed at 75% future cruise credit * Princess Platinum is 100%. Most 3rd party CFAR policies require you to cancel 48 hrs prior to scheduled ship departure and reimburse at 50% to 75%)

I mention this scenario as we are flying with a small line out of a small airport and the next flight is 5 days later..

Thanks for the info!