Will cruises be rerouted during civil unrest?

SGilly

3 weeks from today my Ponant cruise ends in Colon. I just received this notice and wondering how/if it will effect us?

1/8/2020 | Report Alerts

Security Alert: Colon (Panama), Civil Unrest is Occurring in The Northern City of Colon

Event: Civil unrest is occurring in the northern city of Colon following protests related to high unemployment rates, affordable housing, community revitalization, and insecurity.  Protesters blocked city streets in approximately six locations throughout the city of Colon, preventing vehicular traffic from entering the city from the highway and halting traffic within the city completely.  Protesters lit tires on fire and began to clash with police.  Unaffiliated criminal elements in the city began to loot stores, target drivers in traffic for armed robberies, and Panamanian police report two incidents in which police exchanged gunfire with criminals on city streets.  As of 1300 hours local time, the protests continued.  Multiple streets in Colon remain blocked as a result of the ongoing civil unrest, and protesters are calling for more demonstrations in the next 24 hours, which may lead to increased security issues as the evening falls on the city.  

U.S. Embassy Panama has prohibited the travel of all Embassy personnel to Colon until further notice. 

Actions to Take: Avoid the area of Colon until further notice.

Caribbean Princess was there yesterday, no change in itinerary (although she uses Cristobal after her partial transits.).  There are three ships through the canal tomorrow, two westbound and one eastbound.  Star Pride will end her cruise there tomorrow after her transit. 

Are you on Le Dumont d'Urville?  Based on her itinerary, are you doing a night transit of the canal?  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Of course if my crystal ball wasn't in the shop I would be using it to predict lottery numbers😁!  I don't think this is any sort of long term issue, it was just something that percolated up about a chronic water issue.  It is all quiet for now with some steam having been let off.  

• 2 weeks later...

We were concerned on our last cruise through the Panama Canal as the itinerary called for a stop in Nicaragua. It was during a time when there were anti-government  protests and violence. The cruise line intended to stop despite this but in the end we did not stop there because the winds were so bad that the captain didn't think that it was safe to dock. So we cruised slowly to the next stop.

We had decided to stay on the ship given that the situation could be fluid and you never know what could happen.

Be smart. We were in Barcelona for the day on the Pacific Princess during what we thought was a fairly quiet time. We took the hop on hop off bus on our own and went all the way to the top of the line to see a Cathedral. Protesters apparently were filling the streets while we were riding the bus.  We got off, and found it impossible to get back on a bus.. the city, buses, taxis closed down section by section.  The bus service had totally ended, there were no taxis and we were able to walk all the way, several miles back to the ship thank goodness.  Many detours walking streets to avoid protesters..  if you even consider issues use good judgement and only stay close to the ship or use a ship tour.  I thought we were lucky to be able to get back, those with any mobility concerns might not have..

50 minutes ago, leaneff said:

Be smart. We were in Barcelona for the day on the Pacific Princess during what we thought was a fairly quiet time. We took the hop on hop off bus on our own and went all the way to the top of the line to see a Cathedral. Protesters apparently were filling the streets while we were riding the bus.  We got off, and found it impossible to get back on a bus.. the city, buses, taxis closed down section by section.  The bus service had totally ended, there were no taxis and we were able to walk all the way, several miles back to the ship thank goodness.  Many detours walking streets to avoid protesters..  if you even consider issues use good judgement and only stay close to the ship or use a ship tour.  I thought we were lucky to be able to get back, those with any mobility concerns might not have..

Yes for sure thanks and very glad your safe! I'll have to read some world news to find out what this is about.

Generally there is a time period prior to the excursion in which you can cancel and if you did so early on in the cruise there would not be an issue.  Things have been quiet since early January and not really a frequent occurrence. 

• 2 weeks later...