General dress code for ports in Europe

rene194215

This is really simple. 

Wear shoes that are very comfortable, preferably something with some support.  Wear clothing that is comfortable, that you feel good in, and that is easy care. 

Spend more time paying attention to your surroundings and your valuables and less time trying to pointlessly attempting to look like a local.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

Fashion is changeable by very nature. 

Fanny packs/bum bags are making a comeback, or at least designers are trying to sell that idea...

Social media, blogs and the like have made fashion very universal, there are very few trends that don't travel globally now, at least in major metropolitan areas.

And yes, sneakers, even white athletic sneakers, are worn in Europe. I'll be honest, I don't see any real difference between many of the shoes touted in clo's article and "straight up athletic shoes" as the article states. This just isn't the big taboo that it once was. I mean seriously, are you going to tell me there is a big difference between this "approved" sneaker (according to The Savvy Backpacker) and "straight-up athletic running shoes"?

Reebok Lifestyle Club C 85

Of course, if you go and wear them with khaki shorts, an American flag tee shirt and a baseball cap, all bets are off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I mean seriously, are you going to tell me there is a big difference between this "approved" sneaker (according to The Savvy Backpacker) and "straight-up athletic running shoes"?

Thick soles. We were just in San Francisco and all the colors and bright ones especially were everywhere and I thought they were fun.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Fashion is changeable by very nature. 

Fanny packs/bum bags are making a comeback, or at least designers are trying to sell that idea...

Social media, blogs and the like have made fashion very universal, there are very few trends that don't travel globally now, at least in major metropolitan areas.

And yes, sneakers, even white athletic sneakers, are worn in Europe. I'll be honest, I don't see any real difference between many of the shoes touted in clo's article and "straight up athletic shoes" as the article states. This just isn't the big taboo that it once was. I mean seriously, are you going to tell me there is a big difference between this "approved" sneaker (according to The Savvy Backpacker) and "straight-up athletic running shoes"?

Reebok Lifestyle Club C 85

Of course, if you go and wear them with khaki shorts, an American flag tee shirt and a baseball cap, all bets are off.

those Reeboks are classic "Tennis" shoes now used as "lifestyle" (aka everyday non-athletic) shoes:'

"CLUB C 85 VINTAGE MEN'S SHOES

This men's tennis shoe classic speaks to those with purist tendencies. Its clean, iconic style jazzes up jeans or joggers. The woven labels add a hit of old-school sensibility."

Then you have the "straight up running" shoes like, say, my Solomon trail runners (currently the XA Pro), they look very technical.  They do stand out.  Or, look at a pair of Hokas - talk about a FAT sole!!!    

Think of Supergas - you would wear them walking around, but you wouldn't wear them running...

Clothes - I never understood the "I'm wearing shorts because it's hot" line.  If I'm in a metropolitan area in Europe, I never wear shorts.  I'm always in pants.  I always wear a short-sleeve or long-sleeve (rollup) shirt.  I'm good to go anywhere.  I always carry one of my numerous bandanas to use as a temporary head scarf if need be (yes, I've been requested a couple of times, in Jerusalem and in Mexico City).  I don't dress "like a tourist" because I want to stand out as the first target for thieves, touts, etc.  But, I know I don't look "local" (although I have looked local enough a few times to be approached by clueless Americans asking if I speak English to ask directions...).  

Oh, as for doing Rome "stoned" - you must be on Celebrity - the new TV commercials feature "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane!!!! ("one pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small, and the ones that Mother gives you don't do anything at all... remember what the doormouse said, feed your head.") 

Edited by slidergirl

13 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

those Reeboks are classic "Tennis" shoes now used as "lifestyle" (aka everyday non-athletic) shoes:'

"CLUB C 85 VINTAGE MEN'S SHOES

This men's tennis shoe classic speaks to those with purist tendencies. Its clean, iconic style jazzes up jeans or joggers. The woven labels add a hit of old-school sensibility."

Then you have the "straight up running" shoes like, say, my Solomon trail runners (currently the XA Pro), they look very technical.  They do stand out.  Or, look at a pair of Hokas - talk about a FAT sole!!!    

Think of Supergas - you would wear them walking around, but you wouldn't wear them running...

Clothes - I never understood the "I'm wearing shorts because it's hot" line.  If I'm in a metropolitan area in Europe, I never wear shorts.  I'm always in pants.  I always wear a short-sleeve or long-sleeve (rollup) shirt.  I'm good to go anywhere.  I always carry one of my numerous bandanas to use as a temporary head scarf if need be (yes, I've been requested a couple of times, in Jerusalem and in Mexico City).  I don't dress "like a tourist" because I want to stand out as the first target for thieves, touts, etc.  But, I know I don't look "local" (although I have looked local enough a few times to be approached by clueless Americans asking if I speak English to ask directions...).  

Oh, as for doing Rome "stoned" - you must be on Celebrity - the new TV commercials feature "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane!!!! ("one pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small, and the ones that Mother gives you don't do anything at all... remember what the doormouse said, feed your head.") 

Hokas are just ridiculous; a girl could fall to her death trying to run, let alone walk, in those. :classic_biggrin:

But seriously, a lot of the shoes shown in that article have soles that are plenty thick. 

Things have changed, even in the last couple of years. Before, it was all about the "urban sneaker" (like Supergas).  Now you really do see the American-style athletic shoes on non-Americans.  I saw plenty of 'em in Rome last fall...  Along with shop windows featuring full-out athleisure looks.

Edited to add:  I actually like the Celebrity commercial, it's very distinctive. Some seem to have real issues with it. Go figure...

Edited by cruisemom42

2 hours ago, clo said:

Well, then they're not cool 🙂

I think your feelings about white athletic shoes are a bit out of date - in last few years I have seen many Spaniards, French and Britishers wearing them.  (Or are you just  talking about them, and not their shoes, making them uncool?).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I prefer not to stand out, even if I am a tourist. As a solo woman I prefer not to attract attention to myself and that includes by wearing something that others will notice -- such as shorts.

I also do not find shorts to be cooler than lightweight pants, capris or a skirt. The hot sun on bare, exposed skin will heat you up as fast or faster than being a bit more covered. 

Also, for Darren, it is okay to be "naked" in Rome but only if you are also "stone(d)".

Palazzo_Massimo_Rome_013-577x1024.jpg

It also helps if you have this sort of physique - rather than what too many cruises sport.

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hokas are just ridiculous; a girl could fall to her death trying to run, let alone walk, in those. :classic_biggrin:

But seriously, a lot of the shoes shown in that article have soles that are plenty thick. 

Things have changed, even in the last couple of years. Before, it was all about the "urban sneaker" (like Supergas).  Now you really do see the American-style athletic shoes on non-Americans.  I saw plenty of 'em in Rome last fall...  Along with shop windows featuring full-out athleisure looks.

Edited to add:  I actually like the Celebrity commercial, it's very distinctive. Some seem to have real issues with it. Go figure...

As one who has troubles "falling off" some high shoes, Hokas are NOT my thing!!!

I remember over by Roscioli in Campo di Fiori, there was a Vans store!  There was a pair there that I would have loved to have.  And, there were billboards at one time extolling the virtues of the classic Converse All Stars.   

I think the classic white tennis shoe may still be the domain of the well-to-do, but sporty, dressed.  Heck, just last week, I saw Katie Holmes in jeans, white T, classic white tennis shoes and an amazing long Winter White coat.  (where I saw her, well, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you)...  

Cruisemom - regarding that Celebrity commercial:  being a classic 60s song, I thought Celebrity was trying to capture the old HAL crowd who DO remember what those different pills did 😉   Then HAL could go back to the "HAL Cats" and "Adagio Strings" days...  🤣 (just kidding, y'all).

Unless you're going into a church, which might require shoulders, knees covered, whatever you'd wear anywhere should do just fine.  Of course, no PJ's or "bootie shorts", or other potentially offensive clothing items!    Just dress as you would in an polite company!

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think your feelings about white athletic shoes are a bit out of date - in last few years I have seen many Spaniards, French and Britishers wearing them.  (Or are you just  talking about them, and not their shoes, making them uncool?).

Actually I'm going to reverse myself - is that allowed here???? - as I've done some research and it appears that white tennis shoes are rather 'in.'

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, clo said:

Actually I'm going to reverse myself - is that allowed here???? - as I've done some research and it appears that white tennis shoes are rather 'in.'

You are in good company - the only people who are unwilling to reverse themselves are not worth listening to in the first place.   Only those who are unable to learn refuse to learn.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Unless you're going into a church, which might require shoulders, knees covered, whatever you'd wear anywhere should do just fine.  Of course, no PJ's or "bootie shorts", or other potentially offensive clothing items!    Just dress as you would in an polite company!

“Polite company” is not a universally applicable standard.  What works perfectly well at your local drive-in theatre might not pass muster at a Greek Orthodox cathedral — even though each might be full of contextually appropriate “polite company”.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You are in good company - the only people who are unwilling to reverse themselves are not worth listening to in the first place.   Only those who are unable to learn refuse to learn.

Oh good. I refer to myself as an "info junkie" so if I get the info and I don't change my stance then shame on me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Love it -- never could see why some will fall on their dagger rather than admit to a wrong (or change their mind.)

Good on 'ya.

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Love it -- never could see why some will fall on their dagger rather than admit to a wrong (or change their mind.)

Good on 'ya.

Thanks, Mom. And I'll confess that every summer for decades I've worn white, canvas, slip-on Keds. But not when traveling. (They get too dirty.) Just got these today from Nordy's. Maybe for travel, maybe not.

CASLON<SUP>®</SUP> Rainey Knit Sneaker, Main, color, BLK CHARCOAL MARLED KNIT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

I think it is allowed. Haha.   I guess I will never be in style, because I would never even look at the internet to find out what someone thinks is in style.   I mean, what if they are wrong?  Like Geoge Gobel said, you might be the only pair of brown leather shoes in a room full of patent leathers.  Lol.  

BTW, we were just talking to our kids (who are in their 30's) about the old days when the about the only available tennis shoes were either Converse or Keds.   We  used to peel that rubber Keds sticker off the back of the shoes and put it on our bikes or whatever.    Good to see that both brands are still around and the Converse All Stars are still popular.      

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

They are brilliant adverts.

6 hours ago, clo said:

anyway, you werent even wrong. The article was.😁

• Like 1

I just spent a month in Europe and go there every two years. I've noticed that Europeans and Americans dress more like each other as the years go by. About ten years ago, I was wearing a peacock design top and noticed that I was the only woman who wasn't in all solids. In Rome, I recall thinking the Roman women were all so chic. That isn't true today.

My goal is to not stand out and to have some hidden or inside pockets in my clothing for anti theft protection. Advice on what to wear is probably only an issue in the summer when the weather is so hot and the religious sites' issue of modesty. 

13 hours ago, clo said:

I certainly hope so as I frequently find it necessary to correct/reverse myself.

I am constantly amazed at the incredible amount of information that some people on these boards recall - I am not very observant and often cannot recall names of restaurants, bus numbers, specific directions to venues visited several years ago (especially if I have visited a city/hotel/venue only once). I am usually reading my guide book when traveling on buses/trams/tour buses/trains and am so engrossed in what I am reading that I do not hear what is going on around me or, at the very least, it does not compute. So, sometimes I think I remember only to realize I was incorrect.

I feel confident sharing directions/hotels/information only if I have visited an area multiple times. 

White tennis shoes (or any type of white shoe) would not be my choice in footwear as white readily shows dirt and would finger me as the clueless twit that stepped in a mud puddle (or whatever ) while gawking in amazement at some ancient wonder.

Opinions are another matter - everyone has them and is entitled to their own.

Edited by dogs4fun

14 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I certainly hope so as I frequently find it necessary to correct/reverse myself.

I am constantly amazed at the incredible amount of information that some people on these boards recall - I am not very observant and often cannot recall names of restaurants, bus numbers, specific directions to venues visited several years ago (especially if I have visited a city/hotel/venue only once). I am usually reading my guide book when traveling on buses/trams/tour buses/trains and am so engrossed in what I am reading that I do not hear what is going on around me or, at the very least, it does not compute. So, sometimes I think I remember only to realize I was incorrect.

I feel confident sharing directions/hotels/information only if I have visited an area multiple times. 

White tennis shoes (or any type of white shoe) would not be my choice in footwear as white readily shows dirt and would finger me as the clueless twit that stepped in a mud puddle (or whatever ) while gawking in amazement at some ancient wonder.

Opinions are another matter - everyone has them and is entitled to their own.

This is so true. I read questions about places I've been, even more than once, and cannot remember details enough to provide much of an answer.   I'm very impressed with the amount of detailed information folks share.  Well, excluding that which is copy/paste from Google of course.  Lol.  

On 1/11/2020 at 6:53 AM, Markanddonna said:

I recall thinking the Roman women were all so chic. That isn't true today.

I was thinking much the same when I was in Italy last October -- that the rumours were that Italian people had more "style" and you could tell the difference between an Italian and a tourist just by looking at what they wore, but that quite clearly wasn't the case.  They dressed pretty much like everyone else (obviously some people dressed up more for work, but in their off hours, they were dressed like the rest of us). 

On 1/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, iancal said:

There is no 'dress code'.  It is a little silly to be concerned about white track shoes or colored ones.   You can dress how you want but the locals will spot you a mile a way.  Hair styles, hair color, clothing-color and cut, shoes.   The way you walk, talk, and even shop.   

When I was in Vienna for a week, it appeared that the locals didn't spot me. I was wearing my usual polo or t-shirt and slacks or jeans. Several times I had someone come up to me and start chatting in German - sometimes asking me for directions. I guess that my Eastern European genetic heritage made me look like a local regardless of what I chose to wear. 

• Like 1

It amazes me the effort that some people will go to look like who they are not.  Or to be so insecure that they are concerned about wearing what others are wearing and worried that they will not 'fit in'.

A bartender in a hotel in Amsterdam told my sister and BIL some of the ways they have of discerning where guests are from.  Apparently some Americans like to wear Canadian pins when they travel in Europe (news to us).  The bar tender said those folks can be spotted in a New York minute.  Why?  Because they wear the larger size pins.  Canadians, in his experience, wear the much smaller pins (those that do).   It is the little things that the locals can pick up on.   It amuses them.

Edited by iancal